• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verge: Snap mode being removed with next Xbox one update

Theorry

I snapped GameDVR (to start and stop recording, so I don't have to cut and recompile later) all the time.

Snapping the Achievement bars of how close to an achievement I was currently also was kinda cool.

Still, if it's really necessary to speed up the dashboard, by all means, snapping be gone. That dashboard is atrociously slow. If it were as fast as PS4, Xbox One would have the superior UI (in my opinion at least).

Setting up a party, invite friends, send a message is all the fastest on Xbox tho. Store loading is the biggest problem really and getting into settings.

Btw all that above you still can do. Like achievements, Gamedvr etc. Its now all in the guide and really fast.

MaulerX

Aren't they eventually going to replace it with an overlay? Like the new preview dashboard already has with the Achievement overlay? So for those that want to snap TV, you'll still be able to do so but instead of snap taking 1/3 of the screen, it'll be a neat PIP type overlay in the corner of your choice.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
I only had an XB1 for a month not but every time I snapped TV while doing something else the TV lagged. It's clearly not powerfull enough to handle it.

Hopefully they bring it back on the Scorpio.

Theorry

Aren't they eventually going to replace it with an overlay? Like the new preview dashboard already has with the Achievement overlay? So for those that want to snap TV, you'll still be able to do so but instead of snap taking 1/3 of the screen, it'll be a neat PIP type overlay in the corner of your choice.

Probably. Like they said they gonna replace it and now we have PiP for achievements.

I liked having Twitch snapped or even The Internet with a Simpsons episode playing while I farm. It sucks but I guess if it helps, I don't mind.

You were wrong than and you are wrong now. Yes an tablet is great though it's not the same thing especially when you have to spend hundreds of dollars to buy one. MS getting rid of a feature that has some good uses with no announced replacement sucks. Snap wasn't perfect but getting rid of it isn't the answer either.
There is a replacement, the site that first leaked the update (wincentral) said that overlays would replace Skype.

Right now in the current preview build (which ms has said that doesn't has all the features from the creators update  yet) there's no replacement, and that's what verge is picking to make their story.

Theorry

Ok, that is great.

As long as that survives, this will be less of a loss, but I still enjoyed snapping a youtube video to the side while gaming once in a while. Just having the option was neat and useful.

You can see it here.

untitledggsyb.png

nah yall - i figured it out!!!

The xbox will be an extension to HOLOLENS

BUY A HOLOLENS AND HAVE YOUR TV EPISODE HOVERING NEXT TO YOUR TV SCREEN OR WHATEVER.

CASE CLOSED. GG.

"This is what they meant by Bigger, because with a flick of a finger, you can enlarge it to whatever size you want."

sangreal

I snapped GameDVR (to start and stop recording, so I don't have to cut and recompile later) all the time.

Snapping the Achievement bars of how close to an achievement I was currently also was kinda cool.

gamedvr options are in the new mini guide (home + view)

achievement tracking was moved to an overlay

Thank God. Never used it. I do wish MS could allow some customizability for those who want to keep it. But if eliminating it will reduce screen lag I'm all for it. It's ridiculous that the 360 runs so much more smoothly.

Bgamer90

Banned
Makes sense due to the revamped Guide and the new achievement tracking overlay.

I really only used snap to quickly watch TV when in a lobby before a game started. Not a big loss.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Considering you can't snap Netflix and a game made the feature useless to me.

Lren

Snap was pretty cool for a bit but I find it more of a hassle to use because of how slow the UI can be. If it helps with the lag when using the UI then it sounds like a decent trade off.

He likely does not even own one.
I don't mean like that. My dash is honestly very fast and people blame on the ping. My is 289 and it's still super fast.

And pretty much everyone of my Xbone friend list that I already talked about this says it's super fast for them too.

But there is somehow a consensus about the speed, I just want to see if it's really that bad for some users, or perhaps my pasta cards are off.

vg260

This was one of my most used features on the Xbox one. I watched a ton of TV while playing. It was great for watching sports or news. I'm seemingly in the minority here, but it is a very disappointing change for me. It actually influenced a lot of my PS4/Xbox game purchase decisions.

If they implement PiP that's better than nothing, but I preferred the panel on the side so none of the game screen got blocked.

Fuchsdh

I don't mean like that. My dash is honestly very fast and people blame on the ping. My is 289 and it's still super fast.

And pretty much everyone of my Xbone friend list that I already talked about this says it's super fast for them too.

But there is somehow a consensus about the speed, I just want to see if it's really that bad for some users, or perhaps my pasta cards are off.

It seems like part of the problem with the X1 dash is that it's less about the hardware and more about your connection speed.

ViciousDS

Banned

Still, if it's really necessary to speed up the dashboard, by all means, snapping be gone. That dashboard is atrociously slow. If it were as fast as PS4, Xbox One would have the superior UI (in my opinion at least).

GameDVR is now part of the actual guide by hitting the select button (whatever it's called) and selecting your allotted time you want to save back up to 5 minutes of course.

It's pretty baller

Removing the need to snap achievements and game DVR is a massive improvement.

Removing snapped TV and Video is a huge downgrade.

PiP is crap in comparison.

Removing the need to snap achievements and game DVR is a massive improvement.

Removing snapped TV and Video is a huge downgrade.

PiP is crap in comparison.

How? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and all but im curious how you can interpret snapped mode (something that only ever utilizes roughy 25-50% of the space for video leaving the rest essentially empty black space) vs. PiP which i would imagine would be similar to snapped mode only difference being your not left with all that un-used space and you can likely place the video feed where u want ie. Bottom right instead of top right.... Plus more of the game is visable without the empty space snapped mode has. PiP just seems exponentially better in every way so im curious to hear how/why some people interpret snapped mode as being better and grieving its loss.

How? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and all but im curious how you can interpret snapped mode (something that only ever utilizes roughy 25-50% of the space for video leaving the rest essentially empty black space) vs. PiP which i would imagine would be similar to snapped mode only difference being your not left with all that un-used space and you can likely place the video feed where u want ie. Bottom right instead of top right.... Plus more of the game is visable without the empty space snapped mode has. PiP just seems exponentially better in every way so im curious to hear how/why some people interpret snapped mode as being better and grieving its loss.

I'm either playing while sitting at a desk on a monitor that's right in front of me or on a projector that gives me a 100 inch display.

In both cases, I'd much rather have a smaller game window with snapped TV than having a PiP display that will obscure part of the game window no matter where I put it on the screen. It's either going to hide UI elements or block stuff that I need to see in order to play the game.

Trup1aya

Now you can manage your DVR right from the guide. And you can get your achievement tracker as an overlay.

What remains to be seen is how/if video apps will have their snap functions replaced.

FZW

Because as of yet its been removed and questions to major and @xboxqwik have gone unanswered.

And those who say it didn't work BS it didn't i have used it on all 4 of my systems without issue and that is even have all 4 in the preview program. snapping TV was geat and didn't mess with gaming at all!

go listen to the latest Major Nelson podcast.

jediyoshi

nah yall - i figured it out!!!

The xbox will be an extension to HOLOLENS

BUY A HOLOLENS AND HAVE YOUR TV EPISODE HOVERING NEXT TO YOUR TV SCREEN OR WHATEVER.

CASE CLOSED. GG.

"This is what they meant by Bigger, because with a flick of a finger, you can enlarge it to whatever size you want."

Seeing something in hololens that's deliberately off center to an actual screen sounds like it could be a nightmare

Trup1aya

I hope so, sounds like a much better solution tbh, this coming from a guy who uses snap all the time during football season

FZW

Because as of yet its been removed and questions to major and @xboxqwik have gone unanswered.

And those who say it didn't work BS it didn't i have used it on all 4 of my systems without issue and that is even have all 4 in the preview program. snapping TV was geat and didn't mess with gaming at all!

https://twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/823937530676453376

he specifically says REPLACE yet all the articles say REMOVE. That tweet predates this post.

Im convinced that all of these "MS removed Snap" articles are being purposely misleading for clicks.

MrBenchmark

https://twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/823937530676453376

he specifically says REPLACE yet all the articles say REMOVE. That tweet predates this post.

Im convinced that all of these "MS removed Snap" articles are being purposely misleading for clicks.

those articles are for clicks for sure. I'm sure a replacement is coming hopefully. just not to hip on the idea of PIP that covers your game some vs snap that resized it was a great feature esp with a large TV.

Top Bottom