• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Veroncia Mars and the Mystery of Assassin's Creed

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/750/750957p1.html

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/750/750957p1.html said:
Secrets of Assassin's Creed Leaked?
Actress lets the premise of high profile Ubisoft title out of the bag in interview
by Jeff Haynes
December 13, 2006 - For months, we've been covering every scrap of information about Assassin's Creed, Ubisoft's Montreal's upcoming action game set in 1191 AD during the Third Crusade. As the assassin Altair, players are tasked with eliminating key figures on both sides of the war in an attempt to end the hostilities. Not only does Assassin's Creed offer new stealth mechanics thanks to its social camouflage feature, it also showcases new acrobatic maneuvers using the immediate environment around Altair that haven't been seen before in a game. While there were some curious hints as to whether or not the entire game would be set solely in the Third Crusade thanks to some of the video clips that have been released, we were looking forward to potentially changing the course of history.

Or will we? Interestingly, it seems as though the medieval action title isn't exactly what it seems. Looks like there's more of a sci-fi twist to the game than we initially thought. In an interview with IGN TV, Kristen Bell, the star of Veronica Mars explains her connection to the upcoming game.
She also reveals the sci-fi premise behind the game: "It's actually really interesting to me. It's sort of based on the research that's sort of happening now, about the fact that your genes might be able to hold memory. And you could argue semantics and say it's instinct, but how does a baby bird know to eat a worm, as opposed to a cockroach, if its parents don't show it? And it's about this science company trying to, Matrix-style, go into peoples brains and find out an ancestor who used to be an assassin, and sort of locate who that person is."

We contacted Ubisoft for a comment on Bell's disclosure, but they were unavailable at the time this story was published. Looks like we'll be going back to the future with Assassin's Creed sometime next year.

Not quite sure what to think of this. Perhaps they were having trouble keeping the gameplay grounded completely in the 'real world', now they have an excuse to spice things up with some other-worldly aspects and explain it as 'bugs in the system' or some shit. At the very least, deux ex machina AHOY!

It was always supposed to be some sort of "other person looking back on some long ago events" thing of some kind, not just you controlling a medieval assassin, though... this is just a more detailed explanation of the game's story than we've heard before, not actually completely new information (that there is a sci-fi element).

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
so there'll be other time periods or somethin the game in which you'll be an assassin?

i like the idea, but...dunno if it seems like it could be a waste of potential to do it all in one go.

castle007 said:
how is that a spoiler???

Capcom would have probably revealed that early next year

I thought that too, I didn't tag it first.

The only thing I can think is that but maybe they were trying to keep it secret and perhaps the first few levels are played completely straight, then some weird shit starts happening and this is a big M Night Shyamalan twist, rather then it being the premise of the game from the getgo.

White Man

Who woulda thought that Veronica Mars would be the source of a leak? She's not treating her clients well these days, is she?

element

monchi-kun said:
this spoiler doesn't change Jade's hotness
you rang!

22955_L.jpg

31583_L.jpg

e3d2_04.JPG

and one of Kristen Bell for good measure.

kbell07.jpg

tegdf

Kristen Bell plays video games

IGN TV: Do you play videogames much?

Bell: I do. You know what? This is so embarrassing to say… I have not graduated from my N64 yet. I know. And I'm just gonna say it and you know what, I'm not ashamed of it! But I love me some Mario Kart. I love me some Mario Kart and I love James Bond on that system. It's what I had in college, so I'm having a hard time letting go. Because sometimes, I play with younger people, who are really good with all the coordination you need for the joystick or for the controller, with all the different things you can do with the graphics, and I need something a little simpler I think. So I'll definitely learn to play Assassin's Creed, but I'm gonna stick with my N64 for the time being.

http://tv.ign.com/articles/750/750843p3.html

castle007

Banned
element said:
still not understanding what capcom has to do with this game...

holy shit!!!

I totally screwed that up :lol :lol

how the **** did I not notice that it is Ubisoft. What was I thinking??

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The trailers all had wierd security camera like overlays as did the E3 demo. Not really much of a mystery.

ZeoVGM

Banned
castle007 said:
prbably in a trailer where the game starts out as usual, and then the hero wakes up in a modern world or something...

No see.. Capcom will never talk about this game ever.

jett

D-Member
Ubisoft refuses to talk about the sci fi shit probably because they're embarrassed about their retarded decision to include that kind of stuff in AC.

This is something that's probably "revealed" at the beginning of the game. I don't see why they're hiding it. It's not that clever.

OmonRa

mamacint said:
I thought that too, I didn't tag it first.

The only thing I can think is that but maybe they were trying to keep it secret and perhaps the first few levels are played completely straight, then some weird shit starts happening and this is a big M Night Shyamalan twist, rather then it being the premise of the game from the getgo.

part of the premise, not a secret surprise twist - and maybe there's not a ton of info on it because it's not a super huge part of the game like so many of you fear

FightyF

Banned
Am I the only one sick of seeing pics of Jade in every AC thread? :p

She seems like a nice person, and yes she probably wants a piece of Mr. Freeform, but it just starts a chain reaction that leads to posting more irrelevant pics.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I feel bad for Jade. She has this badass game and all everyone focuses on are her looks. Stop acting like a bunch of hormonal 14 year olds for christ sake.

Kittonwy

Banned
Schafer said:
I feel bad for Jade. She has this badass game and all everyone focuses on are her looks. Stop acting like a bunch of hormonal 14 year olds for christ sake.

If anything, right now having Jade as the producer is perhaps the biggest selling point of this game, Jaffe was correct in pointing it out, is Assassin's Creed even all that interesting on a fundamental gameplay level, I'm sure it will have nice procedural animations and all, and it will look pretty.

tetsuoxb

Schafer said:

That and the fact that people build her up to be some sort of supermodel when she is just a normal, attractive girl.

The stupid fapping in this thread to a producer (guys, she makes excel sheets to handle budgets and schedules) makes no sense to me.

Branduil

tegdf said:
Kristen Bell plays video games

IGN TV: Do you play videogames much?

Bell: I do. You know what? This is so embarrassing to say… I have not graduated from my N64 yet. I know. And I'm just gonna say it and you know what, I'm not ashamed of it! But I love me some Mario Kart. I love me some Mario Kart and I love James Bond on that system. It's what I had in college, so I'm having a hard time letting go. Because sometimes, I play with younger people, who are really good with all the coordination you need for the joystick or for the controller, with all the different things you can do with the graphics, and I need something a little simpler I think. So I'll definitely learn to play Assassin's Creed, but I'm gonna stick with my N64 for the time being.

http://tv.ign.com/articles/750/750843p3.html

LOL, she's a lapsed gamer.

Mato

Maybe this is an analogy concerning to the development of the game and isn't related to the game's story.

Kreuzader

Mato said:
Maybe this is an analogy concerning to the development of the game and isn't related to the game's story.

Are you saying that the game's design is being extracted from someone's DNA? :)

Top Bottom