• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Tech: Jak and Daxter PS4 vs PS3 vs PS Vita Frame Rate Test

Frame rate test comparing the performance of Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy on PS3, Playstation Vita and PS4 via PS2 Backwards Compatibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ28THLx3ug

Note that there is some variation in the time of day between clips which may account for some differences in lighting. In one area of the game on PS4 there is screen tearing and it appears that two new frames are being introduced in a single video frame. Frame rate analysis of this area could be potentially incorrect so it wasn't included in the video http://imgur.com/a/XNhMm

The PS4 version renders at a native resolution of approximately 1024x448, the PS3 renders at a native resolution of 1024x720, and the PS Vita renders at a native resolution of 720x405. The PS4 Pro renders at the same resolution as the PS4 https://gifyu.com/image/zCym

Stats: http://bit.ly/2vfSzt3
PS4 Frames Pixel Counted: http://imgur.com/a/dc5xc
PS3 Frames Pixel Counted: http://imgur.com/a/eM27E
PS Vita Frames Pixel Counted: http://imgur.com/a/uQ14L

Yes, framerate on Vita gets even worse on the sequels.

Mokubba

I got the plat on the Vita version.

One of the most frustrating things I've ever done.
I'll never put myself through something like that again

That version should be avoided at all costs

So the PS3 and the PS2 are the best versions then?

Jak 1 HD Remaster on PS3 is fine for the most part (still has some new introduced bugs), it's 2 and 3 with lots of frame rate issues, bugs and glitches.

I think 2 and 3 on PS2 is still the best way to play them (maybe with emulation too, but I never tried these games).

Meaty

On all three games?

Done that. By the time I was finished my human eye couldnt see more than 15fps

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
the difference between emulation and porting huh, coulda been 1080p native or native 4K on Pro with locked 60 if they had ported these games with a decent team

Mikey Jr.

Dat rock solid 20 fps.

Jesus, please kill off Vita finally.

Also, how in the sweet FUCK is the resolution LOWER on the PS4 version?

Mind boggling.

Is the Vita release new? Could've sworn it's a few years old.
No clue why the Vita couldn't handle a PS2 port. It's less than half the frame rate and it's not even native res.

Always nice to see attention drawn to the awful Vita port. It's bad, bad, bad, bad, bad and should be avoided at all costs. I got it cross-buy with the PS3 version, still cost too much. By far the worst of all the Vita ports, which already has a couple of notable disappointments.

Still love the game though. Just...avoid on Vita.

Vinc

Dat rock solid 20 fps.

Mind boggling.

On PS4, it's a PS2 game emulated and uprendered. On PS3, it's an actual HD remaster / port. Not emulated.

Inuhanyou

It's upscalled, like all PS2 Classics, i think.

The resolution on PS4 is usually doubled from base hardware. On Jak 1 however its less. The original PS2 game was 500 something x 400 something, whereas on PS4 its 1024x400 something

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So the PS3 and the PS2 are the best versions then?
PS3 and ps4 (especially on pro with boost mode) versions should be considered the best. Each have something over the other, but sadly neither is all that great. Ps2 version of the game can’t be played on an hdtv by today’s expectations of what the visuals should be like.

Ewww what is up with that ps4 resolution?? If they weren't going to put any effort into this port, then should have just put it under the Ps2 classics section of the ps4 st- oh...

Same here, it was so bad it made me dislike a game I loved on PS2 and PS3. I deleted Jak 2 and 3 from my Vita soon after that.

A free version of J&D came with my UC4 season pass but WTF at that PS4 resolution? After what I considered weak PS3 remasters, I was hoping these would be a big improvement. Doesn't look like it though.

kc44135

The resolution on PS4 is usually doubled from base hardware. On Jak 1 however its less. The original PS2 game was 500 something x 400 something, whereas on PS4 its 1024x400 something

But why? Are there any other PS2 Classics where the resolution is that low? Also, the resolution for the PS3 version in the OP is wrong, as it only renders at 640p. Any chance they could be wrong on the PS4 version too?

Inuhanyou

Dat rock solid 20 fps.

Mind boggling.

Jak vita version and PS3 versions were created 5 years ago.

The PS3 game was actually ported as a remaster with the code being rewritten to run on PS3. Thus much higher res and FPS compared to base hardware, of course some bugs were introduced.

PS4 version is brute force emulated version of the original game, and as anyone on PC can tell you, trying to emulate a game requires SIGNIFICANTLY more grunt than running a game natively made for the hardware.

kc44135

The original ps2 game was running in 512x224 (interlaced to 448, but each 1/60 frame was 512x224). So ps4 emulation doubles that to 1024x448 + some kind of AA, each frame. It's not a too odd or unexpected result, sadly.

Wow, that's pretty low even by PS2 standards. Was that the case with the other Jak games as well?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Lord Error said:
So ps4 emulation doubles that to 1024x448 + some kind of AA, each frame. It's not a too odd or unexpected result, sadly.
Actually it kind of is - I don't recall PS2 emulation on PS3 just killing half of the interlaced frames. Though perhaps that was TV doing a better job than the PS4...

kc44135 said:
Wow, that's pretty low even by PS2 standards. Was that the case with the other Jak games as well?
From what I remember it was running in 512x448 and downsampling each frame to 224 front-buffer. Other Jak games ran full res front-buffer, as they didn't hold 60 nearly as well.

BigEmil

Outside of resolution PS4PS2 version for me is still better than PS3 version, PS4 one is exactly how it's meant to look with all effects intact and game untouched, while PS3 messed with it not to my liking

But does the gameplay hold up?
(Serious question, I never had a PS2, lol.)

Jak 1 is one of the best collection-based platformers ever created, both in terms of mechanics and level design. As long as you're good with the mario 64 style objectives set in an open world, and some real old school 3D platforming, you will love it.

v Lol harsh, but I don't disagree

Moze

Banned
But does the gameplay hold up?
(Serious question, I never had a PS2, lol.)

I replayed 1 and 2 in 2012 when the collection came out. The first game is amazing and well worth your time. The second game is awful and has aged extremely poorly. Don't let anyone tell you different. Anyone who says Jak 2 is a good game is a liar.

Inuhanyou

The original ps2 game was running in 512x224 (interlaced to 448, but each 1/60 frame was 512x224). So ps4 emulation doubles that to 1024x448 + some kind of AA, each frame. It’s not a too odd or unexpected result, sadly.

wow, i thought it was 400 something but it was actually 200? So yeah, this result ends up being around the expected result then for PS2 on PS4 conversions

Inuhanyou

I replayed 1 and 2 in 2012 when the collection came out. The first game is amazing and well worth your time. The second game is awful and has aged extremely poorly. Don't let anyone tell you different. Anyone who says Jak 2 is a good game is a liar.

what a baby, jak 2 and jak 3 are great games. platforming stans give those games a bad rap. Even naughty dog themselves backtracked way too far in slandering those games

Ridley327

I forgot how janky those games are on the vita. Feels like a lot of the remaster ports ran poorly.

Everyone ported down from the PS3 remasters to the Vita, rather than doing a brand new port of the original games themselves. Of them, I think that only MGS3 worked out rather well, barring the goofy setup they had to figure out for the controls. Everything else was either compromised but acceptable, like the Sly games, or, well, this, with little in between.

Gattsu25

Banned
That PS4 performance is a deal breaker. The smoothness of that game is part of the package and part of what made Jak 1 so impressive.

I have the vita port. It didn't last more than 10 minutes on my vita with that shitty performance
Jak 1? Yeah, aside from a double jump that doesn't work like other platformers, and numerous camera issues.

The double jump doesn't really give you increased verticality. It just prolongs your airtime and is mainly used for covering greater horizontal distance.

Edit: Jak 3 is awful? It's not my favorite by any means but it had a pretty good reception on GAF when it launched.

vocab

The double jump doesn't really give you increased verticality. It just prolongs your airtime and is mainly used for covering greater horizontal distance.

Yeah. It stops all momentum when in the air, so undershooting jumps is pretty common. Plus the window for the double jump is very tiny. The game has a triple jump which you need to use in all of the games.

Inuhanyou

I'm pretty sure Jak 1 on PS2 never dipped below 60fps. Shame the sequels suffered from frequent tearing.

all the PS2 "60fps" games dipped. A lot of these games have rose tinted goggles from people, where a lot of these games were variable FPS

T-0800

all the PS2 "60fps" games dipped. A lot of these games have rose tinted goggles from people, where a lot of these games were variable FPS

I still own the PS2 version and played it last year. 2 and 3 were a mess with lots of tearing but the first holds 60fps 99.9% of the time from my experience.

Inuhanyou

I still own the PS2 version and played it last year. 2 and 3 were a mess with lots of tearing but the first holds 60fps 99.9% of the time from my experience.

if DF did an analysis i am pretty sure it would show an alternate view

Top Bottom