• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Tech: Jak and Daxter PS4 vs PS3 vs PS Vita Frame Rate Test

Fisty

Everyone ported down from the PS3 remasters to the Vita, rather than doing a brand new port of the original games themselves. Of them, I think that only MGS3 worked out rather well, barring the goofy setup they had to figure out for the controls. Everything else was either compromised but acceptable, like the Sly games, or, well, this, with little in between.

One of the biggest knives in the Vita's chest, imo. They could have made the definitive portable ports of those beloved, family-friendly IPs to sit next to Minecraft etc to really boost the Vita... shame.

Does Boost Mode help PS2 classics performance? Quite surprised at the severity of the frame rate dips here.

I think i heard Star Ocean 3 ran 5-10 average fps higher on Pro. Definitely felt really close to 60 when I played with Boost mode on

Got a bit further into the game. The framerate issues can be pretty severe, especially when you're on the zoomer. Not sure if a patch can fix these problems and they're probably busy working on the rest of the games. Hopefully they can optimize the emulation further to make sure 2, 3 and X don't get similar problems.

Really a shame. I'd easily put this below the PS3 version thanks to the performance issues. PS2 is still the best way to play as far as I'm concerned.

Played a hour of it.

The resolution isnt that bad to me. It sure isnt pin sharp but if you told me it was 720p or a bit higher I might not bat a eye.

The texture streaming / texture filtering is what really stands out though.

And yeah some times the framerate will just die for a half second for reasons. Its totally playable 99% of the time though.

rjc571

Banned
all the PS2 "60fps" games dipped. A lot of these games have rose tinted goggles from people, where a lot of these games were variable FPS

I think you have reverse rose tinted glasses where you act like performance was worse than it actually was to make yourself feel better about modern games being unable to hold 60 fps. Jak 1 almost never dropped below 60 fps on PS2.

I'm pretty sure Jak 1 on PS2 never dipped below 60fps. Shame the sequels suffered from frequent tearing.

Yeah the sequels really overextended themselves with the overactive hub areas which were constantly running in the 40s with ridiculous screen tearing. Shame, cuz they actually held 60 fps really well in the missions taking place outside of the city/desert hub areas (and these smaller areas were far more impressive visually than the hub worlds to boot)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think you have reverse rose tinted glasses where you act like performance was worse than it actually was to make yourself feel better about modern games being unable to hold 60 fps. Jak 1 almost never dropped below 60 fps on PS2.

Again, gonna need some receipts for that kind of reaching conclusion. Especially if you think i care about games not hitting 60fps today for whatever reason. The DF retro FPS analysis opened my eyes

I platinumed on Vita, i guess someone need to give me a fucking medal!

imag111961siu.jpg

Seriously, how i manage to do that, lol.

rjc571

Banned
Again, gonna need some receipts for that kind of reaching conclusion. Especially if you think i care about games not hitting 60fps today for whatever reason. The DF retro FPS analysis opened my eyes

Well here's a video of the entire game recorded on PS2 at 60 fps: http://www.longplays.org/downloads.php?cat_id=22&download_id=1661

Skipping through I actually do notice a couple of points where the framerate drops very briefly (less than a second), but.that's it If someone does a framerate analysis on this video I guarantee the average framerate would be 59.0 or greater.

Actually it kind of is - I don't recall PS2 emulation on PS3 just killing half of the interlaced frames. Though perhaps that was TV doing a better job than the PS4...

From what I remember it was running in 512x448 and downsampling each frame to 224 front-buffer. Other Jak games ran full res front-buffer, as they didn't hold 60 nearly as well.

The way the PS4 emulation of PS4 works is they render each frame 4 times and then create the high res version from the results. The final resolution of that frame is dependent on whatever the original game was outputting. At no point do they change the native rendering resolution or interfere with how the game generates the output.

tensuke

Playing through the first one on PS4, it's better than it was on Vita (those framerates...), but it does still chug in a few select places. Mostly it runs smoothly, but occasionally it dips really low for some reason. Other than the awful camera, completely playable though. Enjoying it a lot!

pixelation

I'm super bummed, i was hoping that the PS4 version would have better IQ than the remasters on PS3. But looking at video comparisons side by side, the aliasing on PS4 is even worse than on the PS3 remasters... here i was thinking that it would have some AA applied to it... *sad pup*

BigEmil

Jak games were great technically on PS2.

60fps open world games with no loadings

Jak 2 and Jak 3 were even more demanding with them adding more ai at once, dynamic city, graphics more polygons etc basically in each sequel it was more intensive on the GPU/CPU/RAM

I replayed 1 and 2 in 2012 when the collection came out. The first game is amazing and well worth your time. The second game is awful and has aged extremely poorly. Don't let anyone tell you different. Anyone who says Jak 2 is a good game is a liar.

Jak II is one of the best 3D platformers on the PS2 though in terms of level design. Probably the best unless I'm forgetting something, maybe Rayman 2? There's a lot of stuff that isn't too good around that, but the actual platforming levels, such as Baron's Palace, the Scrapyard were you meet Vin, The Dig etc. are absolutely fantastic levels.

The funny thing with Jak 1 on the Vita is that when you reach the Blue Sage's hub, the framerate seems to steady slightly compared to the areas in and around Sandover Village.

Jak games were great technically on PS2.

60fps open world games with no loadings

Jak 2 and Jak 3 were even more demanding with them adding more ai at once, dynamic city, graphics more polygons etc basically in each sequel it was more intensive on the GPU/CPU/RAM

I remember gaming news channels said that Jak 2 & 3 even peaked at 70 FPS.

Footos22

Screenshot_20170824_120130.png

Time to do this shit for a third time. Framerate means nothing to me after the vita version. Funnily enough 2 and 3 ran much better.

daxy

I got the Vita versions bundled with the system. Thank God I didn't pay for that hot fucking garbage. It's absolutely shameful that these even got released in that state. The N64 pushed higher average frame rates.

Tsunamo

Suprised PS4 is lower resolution. Still though, doesn't the PS2 to PS4 emulator do upscaling? Probably would make it look nicer on a 1080p TV than the PS3 version going by other PS2 classics.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Does Boost Mode help PS2 classics performance? Quite surprised at the severity of the frame rate dips here.
Yes, boost mode helps with the performance of emulated classics. It’s too bad there’s non actual full Pro support in these classics.

In terms of Jak, with boost mode, as far as I’ve read, there’s very few frame rate drops left, and mostly just in cutscenes.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Brad Grenz said:
The final resolution of that frame is dependent on whatever the original game was outputting.
There's the output to front-buffer (which is 224 in this case) and the actual scan-out to display (which was interlaced at 448). PS3 emulator reproduced the latter - PS4 one doesn't seem to.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The PS4 version renders at a native resolution of approximately 1024x448, the PS3 renders at a native resolution of 1024x720, and the PS Vita renders at a native resolution of 720x405. The PS4 Pro renders at the same resolution as the PS4 https://gifyu.com/image/zCym

This is a very odd resolution for the PS4 version. After Code: Veronica X etc had a very nice higher resolution output, this seems like a downgrade.

I platinumed on Vita, i guess someone need to give me a fucking medal!

Seriously, how i manage to do that, lol.

At the risk of being lynched in a VG Tech thread... I platinumed Jak 1 on Vita as well and it was fine. Yeah, the framerate was iffy, but there wasn't anything in particular I struggled with. Even the fishing mini-game that everyone cited as being impossible on Vita I got done in like two goes.

It was a very, very poor port but its problems get overstated, it's far from unplayable.

Mokubba

But... why?

Honestly, I hadn't played it on PS2 so I didn't know what to expect so I just went with it.
It's not until I saw a clip on YouTube that I noticed how bad the framerate was on the Vita.

It was fine for most of the game but there were some segments especially at the end that made be rage. I haven't played Jak 2 and 3 yet.

jett

D-Member
Is the PS4 version emulated? I'm surprised it runs at a higher resolution at all. All of the PS2 classics on PS3 were stuck at their native res.

Honestly, I hadn't played it on PS2 so I didn't know what to expect so I just went with it.
It's not until I saw a clip on YouTube that I noticed how bad the framerate was on the Vita.

It was fine for most of the game but there were some segments especially at the end that made be rage. I haven't played Jak 2 and 3 yet.

I haven't played Jak 3, but Jak II is probably worse than the first game due to important things being mapped to the rear touch pad.

Ridley327

Vita mean silky smooth 20fps.

Also, these guys are muscling in on digital foundry's territory.

I think that everyone at DF went to Gamescom, so coverage for smaller releases like this will fall to the wayside. It would be nice to see them pick it up once they're all done over there, especially since this is the kind of thing that would tickled dark1x's fancy.

Ridley327

MGSHD are the best Ps2 to Vita conversions, right? It wasn't still native resolution.

Not native resolution, but they're still higher res than the PS2 versions. MGS2 would drop to 30 fps during more open environments, but went straight back to 60 while indoors and I'm pretty sure that there wasn't a single drop in the VR missions. MGS3 was, in my experience, a solid 30 fps in gameplay, where the only drops where the by-design ones that occur in the cutscenes for dramatic emphasis. It's easily the best way to play it on the go, especially compared to the Peace Walker engine conversion that didn't work all that great for the 3DS version.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Not native resolution, but they're still higher res than the PS2 versions. MGS2 would drop to 30 fps during more open environments, but went straight back to 60 while indoors and I'm pretty sure that there wasn't a single drop in the VR missions. MGS3 was, in my experience, a solid 30 fps in gameplay, where the only drops where the by-design ones that occur in the cutscenes for dramatic emphasis. It's easily the best way to play it on the go, especially compared to the Peace Walker engine conversion that didn't work all that great for the 3DS version.

Snake Eater 3D used the PW engine? That is new to me, and doesn't make a whole lot of sense IMHO.

I think it's pretty weird that the Vita version of Jak runs so poorly. I've been playing the Sly collection and, while it might be just 30FPS, it runs and looks great.

I think it's pretty weird that the Vita version of Jak runs so poorly. I've been playing the Sly collection and, while it might be just 30FPS, it runs and looks great.

The Sly trilogy on Vita is by far the best and the only one I would recommend out of the three. R&C isn't that bad as Jak, but it's not good either. Better but not good performance, more bugs/glitches, weak controls. It's playable at least.

Top Bottom