• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Tech PS5 vs XSX patch, performance drops to ps5 1368p and XSX 1080p (AC Valhalla)

Lets see if I understand this correctly.

Person A posted a picture of someone clearly suffering from Down Syndrome who has just won a medal as something to laugh at.

Person B says its not cool to laugh at that picture.

Person B is now virtue signaling because they called out others laughing at someone suffering from down syndrome?

Does that sound about right?

Now wherein in this exchange did person B claim to be virtuous, perfect or without fault?

Or do you have to be perfect in order to tell someone not to be an asshole to others?

Hey, if I made a post bragging about how I don't murder people I'd be virtue signalling, too.

Tripolygon

Banned
Hey, if I made a post bragging about how I don't murder people I'd be virtue signalling, too.
For example lets say you are walking down the street and see someone beating up someone or verbally abusing someone.

Do you intervene and tell them to stop or would that be considered virtue signaling because clearly we are human and by nature we are all not perfect.

Now in essence are you saying it is bad for someone to say don't murder people?

Last edited:
For example lets say you are walking down the street and see someone beating up someone or verbally abusing someone.

Do you intervene and tell them to stop or would that be considered virtue signaling because clearly we are human and by nature we are all not perfect.

How do those compare? Virtue signalling would be walking by the person being beaten/abused and saying "well, I'd never do that, personally" or some shit. It's about using someone else's behavior to prop up your own, not about actually taking steps to stop a bad situation or de-escalate one.

yewles1

Wasn't PS5 running at a (almost) locked 60FPS before this patch? They just made it worse with this one for no reason lol, either it was done intentionally to achieve "parity" between the consoles or Ubi's legit trash when it comes to engine optimizations.

Before the patch (60FPS mode):

RW8JTWb.jpg

NSvehIg.jpg

After the patch (60FPS mode):
LG6DGBH.jpg
139NlKg.jpg
I'm almost ready to believe both at this point.

Tripolygon

Banned
How do those compare? Virtue signalling would be walking by the person being beaten/abused and saying "well, I'd never do that, personally" or some shit. It's about using someone else's behavior to prop up your own, not about actually taking steps to stop a bad situation or de-escalate one.
Ahh so the act of saying I would never do that means you are virtue signaling?

For instance, you witnessed rape, murder and armed robbery and you were questioned by the police as a witness and you said;

I would never rape
I would never murder
I would never rob someone

Now would that be virtue signaling then?

Ahh so the act of saying I would never do that means you are virtue signaling?

For instance, you witnessed rape, murder and armed robbery and you were questioned by the police as a witness and you said;

I would never rape
I would never murder
I would never rob someone

Now would that be virtue signaling then?

What is with these stupid ass scenarios you keep throwing at me? Dude is tossing shade at people for laughing at a retarded person, he isn't being interrogated by the police, he decided he needed to try and shame people for finding amusement in some harmless bs.

Tripolygon

Banned
What is with these stupid ass scenarios you keep throwing at me? Dude is tossing shade at people for laughing at a retarded person, he isn't being interrogated by the police, he decided he needed to try and shame people for finding amusement in some harmless bs.
Lol, i'm fucking with you. I just wanted to see how far up your ass you are. You don't have to be a saint to call someone out for being a total shit stain for laughing at someone with down syndrome you utter fuckwit. Finding amusement in some harmless bs. Please!!!!

Same 2 tireless nonsense assholes hide behind when being called out. White knighting and Virtue Signal.

Last edited:
Lol, i'm fucking with you. I just wanted to see how far up your ass you are. You don't have to be a saint to call someone out for being a total shit stain for laughing at someone with down syndrome you utter fuckwit. Finding amusement in some harmless bs. Please!!!!

Same 2 tireless nonsense assholes hide behind when being called out. White knighting and Virtue Signal.

Brimming with virtue.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

PS5 in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2432x1368.

Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being 1920x1080.

Discuss. Seems the patch made ps5 worse, and almost halved the lowest resolution on XSX, WTF ubi

Well, Ubisoft been listening to Alex and let it drop even further for Xbox. That makes sense now as it can't handle 1440p in some situation according to previous comparison from DF.

VGTech is the GOAT! The PS5 dominance continues.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Lowering frame rate 100% to hit frame rate =\= better performance lolol.

It is absolutely a reach regardless of preference.

Also 140% increase of tearing is obviously a glitch. Disengenuous on all points tbh.
So it's a glitch on one and poor performance on the other. Got it.

None of these consoles really hit 4K/60 in performance mode for this game. 1080p is not a 100% drop. When they fix the frame tearing "glitch" we'll probably see 1080p on both.

Last edited:
As I have said before. Don't go picking your console winner after the first batch of games. There's going to some ebs and flows in this one.

Md Ray

Digital foundry needs to do its job properly. From the video posted by you, i notice the Series has better draw distance in the background and has better textures and visuals.

It's clearly seen here at one scene same place , mountain area in the background. The PS5 blurry like the Series S. Visual quality not being compared here.

rJf7Pu7.png
Are you seriously trying to compare visuals/IQ from a YT video while setting the resolution at 720p and possibly even lower 480p? What a disingenuous post dude. You're purposefully trying to make the superior version (PS5) look worse.

EDIT:
Here's the same grab with 4K selected. Even this is still heavily compressed and wouldn't be fair to compare IQ.

QBUOatF.png

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
In the end both machines cost the same unless you skimp and your getting pretty much the same performance unless you squint.

I am impressed though with Sony, and weather its their engenering or tools or whatever they did a good job with the internals of the PS5, the externals while its ugly. MS seems to have gone with brute force and maybe they messed up somewhere.

But this does show that these machines are already coming in a bit underpowered. I don't doubt Sony's 1st parties but 3rd party games on both systems haven't impressed. Whats gonna happen when its true 100% next gen games.

Thats why there are going to be pro versions for sure with the tag line of true 4K and maybe true 60.

This does make the DE 399 version more impressive though and a really good deal actually. 399 vs 499 XBOX and you are getting something that is SLIGHTLY showing better performance now that is some good shit form Sorny. 299 S bad deal all around and would have been better as a Nintendo system.

Kagey K

Banned
It seems PS5 performance mode was sabotaged(maybe unintentionally) unless Ubisoft gives the detailed list of additional content/effects/presets they added to performance mode in the patch.

Also Xbox series X having to drop to 1080 in performance mode means the tools narrative is now out of the window.

Microsoft/Ubisoft lowered the details on screen for the Division 1 port of Xbox One to maintain parity with PS4. This is being repeated here in a cross-gen title tells you where both PS5 and Xbox series X stands with the power narrative.

Xbox series X can only have parity or slightly better performance in 30fps mode and may be Ray-tracing mode.

Cyberpunk 2077 is another title with marketing deal with Xbox.

Xbox-Series-X-list-with-all-optimized-games-Smart.jpg
Remember when everyone swore framerate was king regardless of resolution?

It seems like it was less than two months ago. 😅

Kagey K

Banned
In the end both machines cost the same unless you skimp and your getting pretty much the same performance unless you squint.

I am impressed though with Sony, and weather its their engenering or tools or whatever they did a good job with the internals of the PS5, the externals while its ugly. MS seems to have gone with brute force and maybe they messed up somewhere.

But this does show that these machines are already coming in a bit underpowered. I don't doubt Sony's 1st parties but 3rd party games on both systems haven't impressed. Whats gonna happen when its true 100% next gen games.

Thats why there are going to be pro versions for sure with the tag line of true 4K and maybe true 60.

This does make the DE 399 version more impressive though and a really good deal actually. 399 vs 499 XBOX and you are getting something that is SLIGHTLY showing better performance now that is some good shit form Sorny. 299 S bad deal all around and would have been better as a Nintendo system.
It’s way to early to make any of these calls. A couple cross gen games with terrible patches does not a generation make.

Riky

$MSFT
Weird you'd focus on dynamic resolution targets but not mention anything about performance in a performance mode.

O2Jh8KC.jpg

Now PS5 has almost 3x as much tearing as XsX and FPS drops to 51, compared to 57.

It's hilarious how frame rate and tearing were the be all and end all before the patch, but now certain people seem to want to ignore that 🤣🤣 like I said before the patch results frame drops and tearing affect the gameplay far more than a resolution scaler you're not going to notice whilst playing. Funny I was the first person he thought of again to in the opening post, bless him ♥️

No VRR support means it's even worse on PS5, there is now a case all the multiplats are better on Xbox, as it should be.

Last edited:

LivingD3AD

Ubisoft needed to reduce the resolution on SeriesX (1080p) to fix those jarring frame drops and screen tearings! But Why the fuck they’ve lowered the resolution on PS5 which already was rock solid 60fps with much lower screen tearings and yet the frame rate got worse alongside the much more tearings after patch! What the fuck Ubisoft?!

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Ubisoft needed to reduce the resolution on SeriesX (1080p) to fix those jarring frame drops and screen tearings! But Why the fuck they’ve lowered the resolution on PS5 which already was rock solid 60fps with much lower screen tearings and yet the frame rate got worse alongside the much more tearings after patch! What the fuck Ubisoft?!
It wasn't rock solid on PS5, though. It still had framerate drops and screen tearing. Just not as bad as the XSX version. They did manage to make it worse somehow.

It's hilarious how frame rate and tearing were the be all and end all before the patch, but now certain people seem to want to ignore that 🤣🤣 like I said before the patch results frame drops and tearing affect the gameplay far more than a resolution scaler you're not going to notice whilst playing. Funny I was the first person he thought of again to in the opening post, bless him ♥

No VRR support means it's even worse on PS5, there is now a case all the multiplats are better on Xbox, as it should be.
Zero case . Sorry keep playing ur blurry mess 1080p on ur console 😬😅😅

Ps5 will be reverted back to 1640p with minimal screen tearing like before the patch in few days.

1640p vs 1080p,almost 100% more pixels on ps5 😬😬

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Its derailing these types of comments ,right ? Maybe riky should stop with that type of reposnses trying to declare an inferior version as somehow a winner is derailing in general. Derailing comments lead to more derailing comments
He had a point, every time a game came in on XB1 with higher resolution, but dropped a frame here or there, Sony was declared the winner at a lower res, because it didn’t drop.

Now the same logic doesn’t apply?

I wouldn’t say he was derailing, (there are a billion posts before his that were off topic) but it’s not like we haven’t seen enough of these posts from both sides.

I only picked out your post because you claimed that it would be fixed in the next few days, so I assume you must have some insider knowledge at UBI, otherwise you might be talking out your ass.

Last edited:
He had a point, every time a game came in on XB1 with higher resolution, but dropped a frame here or there, Sony was declared the winner at a lower res, because it didn’t drop.

Now the same logic doesn’t apply?

I wouldn’t say he was derailing, (there are a billion posts before his that were off topic) but it’s not like we haven’t seen enough of these posts from both sides.

I only picked out your post because you claimed that it would be fixed in the next few days, so I assume you must have some insider knowledge at UBI, otherwise you might be talking out your ass.
Reason I say they revert it back is simple.

Before patch at 1640p ps5 was almost locked 60

IQojYwi.jpg

Now after patch at 1380p ps5 drops more often

e0NMy88.jpg

Its a simple rushed patch .

Xsx at 1080p fps is around what ps5 was at 1640p (albeit still drops more than ps5 before patch )which means xsx improved in frame but ps5 got worse

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Reason I say they revert it back is simple.

Before patch at 1640p ps5 was almost locked 60

IQojYwi.jpg

Now after patch at 1380p ps5 drops more often

e0NMy88.jpg

Its a simple rushed patch .

Xsx at 1080p fps is around what ps5 was at 1640p (albeit still drops more than ps5 before patch )which means xsx improved in frame but ps5 got worse
I don’t see how often it hits 1080 or even worse than 1640.

Where is that chart?

I still don’t see how UBI reverts it, since it doesn’t reflect the extra effects and tweaks UBI made.

As a barebones analysis it’s fine, but there is obviously more going on than just straight resolution and framerates, that haven’t been quantified yet.

Not sure you can compare the VGtech pre and post patch numbers unless you know what he did each time. In the post patch video there is an extra torch test which kills PS5 performance and where it is no doubt dropping to 1080p on XSX and still can't keep 60fps.

If you compare like for like pre and post patch PS5 actually looks slightly better FPS wise presumably as they allowed it to drop slightly lower.

FSWoM9p.png

I would imagine if they allowed PS5 to drop to 1080p you'd see it slightly ahead again like pre patch.

Not sure you can compare the VGtech pre and post patch numbers unless you know what he did each time. In the post patch video there is an extra torch test which kills PS5 performance and where it is no doubt dropping to 1080p on XSX and still can't keep 60fps.

If you compare like for like pre and post patch PS5 actually looks slightly better FPS wise presumably as they allowed it to drop slightly lower.

FSWoM9p.png

I would imagine if they allowed PS5 to drop to 1080p you'd see it slightly ahead again like pre patch.
We have mean numbers of total frames.

Before patch

iR5Nasz.jpg

After patch

262FFDE.jpg

Ps5 dropped in resolution and frame on average

MaulerX

Honestly this is the wrong game to be arguing about which console is better.

All Ubisoft is doing is tweaking the dynamic resolution profiles of the game. They are absolutely not optimizing or extracting any of the consoles respective capabilities.

That is why we're now seeing better performance on Xbox (albeit with a more aggressive dynamic scaler that goes as low as 1080p). And a higher average resolution on PS5 at the cost of performance and more screen tearing.

This has nothing to do with Xbox or PS5's capabilities. This is Ubisoft implementing a cheap ass fix that does a great disservice to both consoles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom