• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC — The Pokemon Company has taken the response to Scarlet/Violet seriously and is acting on it for future production

ManaByte

Lies No GIF

Saber

Gold Member
Don't buy it.
They have no reason to take this seriously when they pretty much garanted sales regardless of quality.
Scarlet Violet takes ages to fix the most simplistic bugs, let alone critical ones.

Now everyone at the game is farming Ability Patches and Legendaries with a new clone glitch and they still do nothing.

Last edited:

Fbh

These games usually sell 15+ million copies at full price.
There's no real excuse for them to not have a proper AAA budget. I mean they couldn't even be bothered to put in voice acting in the few proper cutscenes in Scarlet/Violet.

But they aren't going to change anything because:
They have no reason to take this seriously when they pretty much garanted sales regardless quality.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I believe when I see it we had one of the directors basically say last year in an interview that instead of NOT releasing new Pokemon content every single year in order to allow the games to have more development time he was more interested in finding a way to increase quality while still keeping the development cycle they have.

TCPi is more interested in not delaying the deployment of their multi media franchise merchandise instead of delaying the games to increase their quality if people are going to mindlessly buy it anyways regardless of its quality.

Last edited:

Fredrik

A bit off topic but could the reason Game Freak are seemingly rushing out their games be because they want to keep up with the Pokémon card business?
Would it be okay for them to keep working on a game for lets say 5 years?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
A bit off topic but could the reason Game Freak are seemingly rushing out their games be because they want to keep up with the Pokémon card business?
Would it be okay for them to keep working on a game for lets say 5 years?
That's basically the whole reason! Delay a game then they have to delay the show, the TCG, and every other single piece merchandise attached to the new gen

They have also demonstrate over the years in their interviews that they have a low opinion of kids these days (lack of attention and skill issues) and the advent of the smartphone era has instill in them some sort of irrational fear that if they skip a beat with their releases then the brand will immediately die.

Last edited:
They need to up their game and catch up with the rest of the industry, especially if the next console is going to have DLSS and be as powerful as it is rumored.
They don’t need to and that’s the thing people don’t get.

They have two audiences:
1. The old folks who have played all the old pokemon games and want more innovation/ updated tech in the games.

2. Kids who are just discovering the pokemon games and don’t require a lot of “innovation”.

They have made crazy amounts of money serving the second group and some of the old folks will still buy the “non innovative” game.

I think palworld become so popular because tpc refuses to make a more mature and different experience but this is actually by design, the same cycled formula has made them tons of money so of course they are not going to be in a rush to change it. It’s the same reason Zeld Totk was $70 and runs at like 900p/30 fps.

If palworld actually has legs and the momentum continues for months than I can see TPC possibly thinking things over but I doubt this game will change the way that other pokemon games are designed in the future.

Fredrik

That's basically the whole reason! Delay a game then they have to delay the show, the TCG, and every other single piece merchandise attached to the new gen

They have also demonstrate over the years in their interviews that they have a low opinion of kids these days (lack of attention and skill issues) and the advent of the smartphone era has instill in them some sort of irrational fear that if they skip a beat with their releases then the brand will immediately die.
Oh I had no idea but a bit oh a hunch I guess. So they basically either need to slow down the outside-gaming business or hire more people to have several studios working on games like with COD.

Fbh

While this is true, the games sell good enough that if they wanted to they could afford to take the COD/Assassins Creed approach and have multiple big teams working on Pokemon games in parallel.

The only true limitation holding Pokemon back is that there's no need to put any effort into it because people will buy it anyway. Increasing the budget or having multiple teams is just throwing away money because they'll sell 15+ million regardless.

Embearded

They have two audiences:
1. The old folks who have played all the old pokemon games and want more innovation/ updated tech in the games.

2. Kids who are just discovering the pokemon games and don’t require a lot of “innovation”.

They have made crazy amounts of money serving the second group and some of the old folks will still buy the “non innovative” game.

I think palworld become so popular because tpc refuses to make a more mature and different experience but this is actually by design, the same cycled formula has made them tons of money so of course they are not going to be in a rush to change it. It’s the same reason Zeld Totk was $70 and runs at like 900p/30 fps.

If palworld actually has legs and the momentum continues for months than I can see TPC possibly thinking things over but I doubt this game will change the way that other pokemon games are designed in the future.

I didn't say they will stop selling.
People go as far as making death threats, of course the IP will always sell.
They need to improve their technical know how, their games run like crap on the same machine other, comparable games run much better.
On top of that, they really should upgrade their visuals and introduce new mechanisms. The IP can maintain its ID and evolve through time.

Fake

People really believe that?

They told those idiots that removing an amount of Pokemon quantity would be necessary to make the game better. Scarlet and Violet are the results.

I didn't say they will stop selling.
People go as far as making death threats, of course the IP will always sell.
They need to improve their technical know how, their games run like crap on the same machine other, comparable games run much better.
On top of that, they really should upgrade their visuals and introduce new mechanisms. The IP can maintain its ID and evolve through time.
Upgrading tech requires more money to invest in the games which means less profit. You missed my point…..

Them being behind in their tech for the games is by design because they make more money shipping games running on old tech but charging higher prices.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Pokemon has always been synonymous with old tech. The originals came out on the gameboy - a 2D sprite based system with a 4 color 160×144 pixel screen - the same year as Quake 2, Unreal and Half-Life.

Last edited:

Embearded

Upgrading tech requires more money to invest in the games which means less profit. You missed my point…..

Them being behind in their tech for the games is by design because they make more money shipping games running on old tech but charging higher prices.
I understand your point, i just don't agree with it and i can argue that producing a better product will attract more consumers. They have achieved financial success, they can do better with their products.
Their last couple of games have shown its not just by design, as they run as bad as they look.
Their technical skills are on the low side of the industry and they could very easily be the studio with the most profits and the worst performance.

LordNerevar76

Neo Member

They have two audiences:

TOTK has nothing to do with the Pokemon situation... BOTW ran at 30fps too (in fact most big Switch games do). TOTK was an objectively great game that has hundreds of hours of brand new content even if they started with BOTW's base. Pokemon has effectively used the same formula (besides Legends) for 30 years.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Honestly wish they would use the windwaker engine to do a pokemon game that has the aesthetics of the cartoon. It would be a perfect fit and they don't even need to use those ugly tiled textures anymore.
The Pokemon games are not made by Nintendo. Gamefreak has it's own in house tech.

Money talks. They actually had zero interest in feedback from fans, only got hot under the collar when Palworld came along and pissed in their cereal.

Zannegan

The Pokemon games are not made by Nintendo. Gamefreak has it's own in house tech.
Which is 100% the problem. Their tech is awful. Gamefreak needs to settle into the role of game designers and let a competent support studio do the dev work. That wouldn't fix the problem of iterative sequels with tired, unimaginative mechanics, but it would at least be a step in the right direction.

I'd love to see Monolith Soft put in charge of developing the game and designing the world based on Gamefreak's concept art.

LordCBH

I’ll believe it when I see it. Scarlet and Violet were really bad games, but large swathes of people have been loudly voicing valid complaints for YEARS.

mcjmetroid

It would take years of hiring and upscaling the development studio to get to the point they should be at.

I don't think it's that the GameFreak developers are untalented. It's just clear there are too little them there, have to adhere to strict release dates and release too many games.

They're probably working miracles even considering all this.

The problem is the Pokemon company executives I'm sure.

Zannegan

Which is 100% the problem. Their tech is awful. Gamefreak needs to settle into the role of game designers and let a competent support studio do the dev work. That wouldn't fix the problem of iterative sequels with tired, unimaginative mechanics, but it would at least be a step in the right direction.

I'd love to see Monolith Soft put in charge of developing a game and designing the world based on Gamefreak's concept art, for example. Even if the gameplay remains the same, Monolith knows how to create and scale to create a sense of wonder and possibility. Gamefreak's worlds feel like top-down view maps, even in 3D.

E-Cat

Pokemon has always been synonymous with old tech. The originals came out on the gameboy - a 2D sprite based system with a 4 color 160×144 pixel screen - the same year as Quake 2, Unreal and Half-Life.
But they were cutting-edge for the platform -- especially Gen 2. With next-gen Switch, there's no excuse.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
But they were cutting-edge for the platform -- especially Gen 2. With next-gen Switch, there's no excuse.
The reason - I don't consider it an excuse, really - is that they moved from GB to GBA to DS, staying mostly 2D while most of the industry was mastering 3D. Iirc they did some 3D on DS and 3DS, but even that wasn't at the level of what other companies were doing post PS2. As a result, they're roughly 2 generations behind when it comes to 3D.

FeralEcho

Palworld got them shook lmao...

Fan feedback has been there for years and years yet they still pumped the same garbage ass tech in their games.They just don't care....and people will still keep buying the same sludge of shit Gamefreak pumps out next....

E-Cat

The reason - I don't consider it an excuse, really - is that they moved from GB to GBA to DS, staying mostly 2D while most of the industry was mastering 3D. Iirc they did some 3D on DS and 3DS, but even that wasn't at the level of what other companies were doing post PS2. As a result, they're roughly 2 generations behind when it comes to 3D.
I remember when Nintendo was struggling with ”HD content” on the Wii U. Seems like the Pokemon team is still on the Wii. They need to tap the Zelda team for a next-gen title

Ribi

They need to up their game and catch up with the rest of the industry, especially if the next console is going to have DLSS and be as powerful as it is rumored.
Why? Nintendo does the bare minimum and people will pay for it. It really does feel like apple more and more with just push out a product with your brand and watch the money roll in

DryvBy

I really hope Pokemon company doesn't make the mainline next Pokemon game anything close to Palworld. Palworld is fine on its own but I personally find it to be a completely different think from Pokemon. It feels like every other crafting game.

Top Bottom