• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: Konami is set to revive Metal Gear, Castlevania and Silent Hill

Tschumi

I bet they got fucked over by covid lockdowns with gambling, gyms, mobile games while commuting, ect.
Japan never had any lockdowns, they have no law allowing them to make them manditory, there've been heaps of commuters, etc, the whole time, so prolly not that :pie_thinking:

Woopah

I rode past their Tokyo office last week, gave it the stink eye lol

I wonder why they've suddenly backtracked on their apparent commitment to mobile gaming
Their struggles with development seems to have put Konami off development for a while. Now that they've had some successes in the past year, and seen how successful other Japanese publishers have been, they want to get back into this market.

KOMANI

KOMANI
2 reasons why the Virtuos rumor could be true.
1. Virtuos worked on MGSV and Metal Gear Survive
2. Former (KONAMI) KojiProduction's developer, Ikuya Nakamura, is in China right now for an undisclosed reason. He directed MGS3D, the Boktai series, and co-directed Ground Zeroes.

dotnotbot

Konami for the past 6 years

Konami rn

TidusYuna

With confirmation of Bluepoint acquisition by Sony, what if Blue Point is doing Souls like Castlevania instead of Fromsoft.

As pointed out by MBG, Bluepoint said they are doing an "original game," which doesn't necessarily mean a "new IP," but it does confirm they aren't doing a remake. They could be making an Original game for an existing IP.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I have a hard time believing that Konami is outsourcing a main entry of MGS (or a Remake) to a Chinese company. Not even they can be this stupid..

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Is Konami getting Kojima back or do they own the Metal Gear ip?

Anyway I welcome Castlevania cumming back!
Konami owns the IP, they did that horrible zombie one without Kojima.

Konami will fuck up all of these. There is no one left at that company that even understands these IPs anymore let alone internal development resources. They aren't capable of even finding the right people to work on them because they don't get what people want out of them in the first place.

I have higher hopes for an Atari comeback than Konami at this point.

Butch_0451

Has there been examples in the past where one gaming company sells an ip to another without a complete company takeover?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Has there been examples in the past where one gaming company sells an ip to another without a complete company takeover?
It's rare, but it happens occasionally. Fallout is probably the most famous example. But I believe Mizuguchi bought Rez from Sega as well.

I doubt that will happen here, unless Konami is totally ready to throw in the towel on real game development. But I could see them licensing something to an interested party, maybe even a long term, multi-game hands-off kind of deal, like the Star Wars EA thing.

Nickolaidas

Banned
With confirmation of Bluepoint acquisition by Sony, what if Blue Point is doing Souls like Castlevania instead of Fromsoft.

As pointed out by MBG, Bluepoint said they are doing an "original game," which doesn't necessarily mean a "new IP," but it does confirm they aren't doing a remake. They could be making an Original game for an existing IP.
Hmmm ... they *did* reference Symphony of the Night in that tweet.

Top Bottom