• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: Nintendo Next Console releasing next year, details leaked

Zannegan

The price point and more personal style of the Switch made it perfect for a multiple console per family machine that I do wonder what upgrades it's going to have to sway parents over to get yet another one to play Mario and Fortnite.
The right launch game could do wonders for both the game and the console, provided the hardware itself isn't totally unappealing to the public (Wii U).

If Nintendo pulls the core with a solid Metroid Prime 4 or something and the rest of the free world with an amazing looking Mario Kart 9 (Plus Pokemon!), it'll be off like a rocket and probably never look back. If, on the other hand, they "please understand" us, they might have to spend the entire generation trying to right the ship... again.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If this doesn't include an OLED in 2024...

I still can't believe Sony was releasing OLED portables in freaking 2011. But then again it flopped like hell so Nintendo probably knows what they are doing better, lmao.
Yeah because it was soo much more expensive then a 3DS.
3DS had games, the Vita didn't and had a stupidly expensive Memory Card
The problem with Sony is they can not concentrate on more then one project at a time.
PS4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Vita>>
PSVR>>
PS5>>>
PSVR2>
PC port's>>>>>>>>>>>>
The only difference is PS5 has excellent 3rd party support like the second coming of the PSX

Beechos

They're going to keep this thing as cheap as possible. Their demographic doesn't need oled doing lcd now will also give them an excuse to re-release it 3 years later and sell it like new system.

Bridges

I'm gonna get this thing day 1 but like the Switch I will rarely take it out of the dock. I'd take a screenless version if they made one with all the same specs for cheaper.

Like all Nintendo consoles, I care very little about what the specs end up being and I care much more about backwards compatibility and what the software lineup is going to look like in the launch window

S

Stop. TOTK is BOTW 1.5.

Drop this world, this graphics style, this progression system, breakable weapons, small dungeons, repetitive bosses.

We need a brand new Zelda completely different in every way.
Confused Will Ferrell GIF

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
... What? This article says nothing about the likelihood of BC either way. It literally says "backwards compatibility support for Switch games (physical and digital), remains unclear." You're taking "who the hell knows" as conclusive evidence of what you want to believe.

We haven't actually gotten any solid evidence about this subject at all, just speculation.

In fact, this article says almost nothing concrete. I guess it gives us a probable release window (late 2024) and that an LCD screen is more likely than an OLED, but otherwise this boils down to common sense stuff.
Both myamoto and furukara gave answers suggesting it's more likely a transition to new hardware rely more on using smartphone accounts or simpling porting games than straight up bc. If less than two years from the launch this still "remains unclear", counting on it is a fools errand.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I mean, they also thought that Wii U was a good name, trying to cash in the Wii branding. And that backfired. So I guess if they continue with the Switch name, they should make it clear that the new thing is really a new thing. Either by calling it straight up "Switch 2" or something similar to that effect.

Yeah, but also by that time the Wii was no longer popular/hot. It had mostly degenerated into a shovelware platform with very poor proper 3rd party support, and most of the "blue ocean" people weren't interested in upgrading.

The Switch doesn't have the same problem I think. It's still very popular, it still gets a lot of good games, etc.

JordiENP

People have an obsession with OLED like it's the only screen that looks good. Lcd at a higher resolution will look way better than the OLED switch at 720p. They can also use something like mini led which looks fantastic.

blacktout

Both myamoto and furukara gave answers suggesting it's more likely a transition to new hardware rely more on using smartphone accounts or simpling porting games than straight up bc.

I couldn't find either of these statements, unless you were referring to this one from Miyamoto, which is just a standard investors' meeting non-answer where he lightly skims over both sides of the BC debate without committing to either. As far as Furukawa is concerned, he has spoken on a couple of occasions about Nintendo Accounts transferring to the new system, but those aren't "smartphone accounts," and that's an argument on favor of BC if anything, since your Switch eShop purchases are tied to your Nintendo Account.

Anyway, I'm not "counting on" BC. I simply said that right now we have no solid evidence either way. There's no reason for false optimism or false pessimism until we have real, reliable information.

Top Bottom