• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: Nintendo Next Console releasing next year, details leaked

nani17

are in a big trouble
Street Fighter Yes GIF

I will miss OLED but not a big deal. I didn't think the screen on the OG Switch was bad and anyway I can just dock to my OLED TV.

Don't care about specs. It's Nintendo. If you want power and performance then you are in the wrong place. Bring the games and I am there!

Main thing for me is Switch backwards compatibility. I still have so many games to play. If I can sell my Switch and buy Switch 2 I'll do it but if not then I'll keep my Switch and wait until we get a new major Zelda title....and we just got one.

tr1p1ex

anyone not think we were going to get another handheld that also played on the tv that was going to have more storage that current model? lol.

and don't think the screen on a developer kit would necessarily be the actual screen in the final product either. Just like I doubt they really got their hands on the final controllers either.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Nah. Plus it’s not just raw specs, y’know. Plus Switch uses mobile chipset from 2015. Steam Deck is vastly more powerful. There’s definitely room in the middle, my man.
Vastly can mean 100x or 20x, but steam deck is about 3x more powerful from switch, now if we taking gen over gen gainz, switch launched in march 2017, switch 2/pr0/new w/e u call if, if it launches earliest in holidays 2024, thats over 7,5 years later aka whole generation, if it doesnt beat steamdeck it will be crazy underpowered. for comparision ps4 holidays 2013 to ps5 holidays 2020 so exactly 7years of gap, and difference was 3x cpu and 6x gpu performance.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
SteamDeck is LCD.
So is apparently the upcoming Sony cloud-device iirc.

Not to mention I very much doubt those phones would be as ‘cheapo’ if they also included two standalone controllers, a docking station for your TV with various outlets, and HDMI cords.

ZoukGalaxy

It's so lame, going back to LCD is so meh. I guess they need to downgrade the screen for the price but also to sell you later the inevitable OLED iteration.
That's just pathetic Nintendo if true, disappointed.

Plotting Super Mario GIF by GIPHY Gaming

Last edited:
Guys, the Tegra T239, is a full chip. Nintendo would want a cut down version of it. The T234.

So, it's not 2048 Cores, 12 CPU cores with a 50W TDP, but somewhere around 1536 GPU Cores, 8 CPU Cores, and around 15-20W. Or even the Orin Nano 8GB's profile at 1024 GPU Cores.

It's Nintendo we're talking about. They'll cut down their employees' divorce alimony even, if it reduces their hardware margins via BoM.

Sephimoth

I've had the Switch since 2017 but it still feels new since a) time flies and b) I've a ton of unopened games for it that "I'll get to one day"

And here we are, moving on already. MAKES ME SAD

tr1p1ex

From WSJ on October 16, 2015:

"Nintendo has begun distributing a software development kit for its new NX videogame platform, people familiar with the matter said, suggesting the company is on track to introduce the product as early as next year.

Both Wii U and 3ds been out for several years, leading analysts to predict that the Kyoto-based entertainment powerhouse will move fairly swiftly to bring out the NX. 'We are increasingly of the idea that Nintendo might launch the NX in 2016,' say analysts.

People familiar with the development plans said Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use."

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Would Nintendo really provide that information to a developer at this stage?
Yes, it's an integral part of the system you build for - it's in everyone's best interest to know as early as possible.
Sure - the specs are *always* provided as 'subject to change' - but handhelds absolutely include the screen in the dev-info dumps.

Aren't they going to make their games the same either way?
Not really, no.

Woopah

Yes, it's an integral part of the system you build for - it's in everyone's best interest to know as early as possible.
Sure - the specs are *always* provided as 'subject to change' - but handhelds absolutely include the screen in the dev-info dumps.

Not really, no.
Would you say developers have to make their Switch games differently ever since the OLED came out?

Other details, such as backwards compatibility support for Switch games (physical and digital), remains unclear. Nintendo has said it wants to convert as many of Switch’s 100m+ userbase as possible to its next system, although some third-party publishers are said to have expressed concern that legacy support for Switch games could negatively affect sales of next-gen titles.
What the hell does this mean? Fuck me if this thing's not backwards compatible I'm gonna lose it.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Would you say developers have to make their Switch games differently ever since the OLED came out?
Optimizing for display properties is a pretty standard practice. When multiple SKUs with different screens exist - you may optimize for one or both - depending on what you prioritize.
I don't know if Nintendo explicitly mandates any requirements for different screens (this has happened in the past too - see GBA) but developers will usually choose to optimize for the best user experience if they can.

Diddy X

They just need to release a Super Switch along remasters of Zelda and Mario for it to be a success, not hard.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
What chips could we be looking at? I’d assume nvidia still but what chip could there be out in 18 months? That’s a long time in tech

ShadowLag

Reads like the safest guesses you could make about their next console.

Let's add some more :
- it will have a physical form
- it will have buttons, including joysticks
- it will have a battery
- you will be able to hold it
- you will be able to connect it to the internet
- it will be released with games
- you will able to add more storage
- there will be Mario, Zelda and Pokemon games on it at some point
Glad I'm not the only one with exactly that as the takeaway :unsure:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Keep in mind this is the first console launch (and development) overseen by Mr. Furakawa. That adds another wild card to the mix along with Nintendos history of adding gimmicks.

It will be very interesting to see where they position this price wise. Especially with the PS5 rumored to drop down to $399 with the slim model. With larger sized games, Nintendo would be smart to have multiple SKUs. I would love to see:

Base Model - $299: 6.5” LCD screen / 256gb Storage

Pro Model - $399: 7” OLED screen / 512gb Storage

They also need to keep SD expansion and add external SSD support via dock.

The screen size HAS to be the same, if they want to release both at launch.

tr1p1ex

April 2016: Nintendo’s mysterious NX console is getting closer. Today the company announced alongside its annual financial results that the NX platform will see a worldwide release in March 2017.

Will it be a 3ds situation where it takes off, or, will it be a wii u situation, where people are confused about the name, thus fading into obscurity? I look forward to the enhanced experience, but will it be a new switch situation, or a switch u situation?

Little Mac

Gold Member
If 60fps was a top priority for Nintendo, realistically, given Nintendo’s history with hardware, what resolution are we talking about? Think it will run TotK at 60 fps?

zeldaring

Banned
Will it be a 3ds situation where it takes off, or, will it be a wii u situation, where people are confused about the name, thus fading into obscurity? I look forward to the enhanced experience, but will it be a new switch situation, or a switch u situation?
Naw japan will gobble it up no matter what as long it's a handheld. WIIU WiILL never happen again as long as it's handheld.

Top Bottom