• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: Durango GPU detailed

Reiko

Banned
gdc-see-what-next-gen-games-will-look-like-20110302084518836-000.jpg

Beyond_1.jpg

I'm sure the tech is there but I kinda see what he mean, Samaritan doesn't look that much better

You forgot the part where only the models were at the highest fidelity for those 2 PS3 exclusives. The environments are not on the same level.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
And Samaritan doesn't even look that much better than what we currently have. Games like Beyond Two Souls and GoW Ascension look almost indistinguishable from Samaritan.

Diminishing returns...

WTF.

You either:-

1. Are being deliberately disingenuous
2. Don't understand what your looking at
3. Need glasses

Derrick01

Banned
Samaritan is more than just a face. Don't bring that Quantic Dream anti-videogame QTE stuff in this thread.

Eh? Right now Beyond is more of a video game than Samaritan is. Unless you have insider info you're not telling us, because don't get me wrong I'd love to see Samaritan turned into a game in that setting.

Again it's not about how much people expect.
But when making an informed purchase you compare the value presented to what is available right now, not what was available 8 years ago.
I'm talking about price/performance, features and how technologically impressive something is.

When sony or ms go 'here is a 7770 equivalent gpu in a 499 euro box' (arbitrary numbers for arguments sake) you don't go my that is a step up from an xbox 360 take my money...
I'm sure stockholders would love you for this attitude and logic though, dang:p

Fact remains that it is 2013, a close equivalent both in performance and architecture to a 65W gpu (taking the 7970m orbis is supposed to be based on and ignoring that the orbis gpu is cut and downclocked for argument's sake) with 256bit bus is not cutting edge nor high end nor expensive.
Can you be happy with it? of course! but it is what it is (and the smart consumer will keep that in mind when they decide what they will pay for it)

Then when you compare the durango gpu to it you can still think it's enough for you, but you don't go rationalise that opinion by claiming it's great because it's a significant step up from xbox 360.
It still very much is what it is.

If people proclaim dissapointment or a neutral you stance you don't counter with 'but it's still better than xbox 360/ps3

Imo informed purchases make for happy consumers and less buyer's remorse and less fanboy crap in general.

I'm already awaiting the trolls who will go red mist mode and divert with a 'well what were you expecting a 300W gpu in a console'
that is for another thread.

You still dont get it. You are talking in terms of GPUs. You are trying to frame the argument in terms of what PC gamers and people highly interested in spec sheets want.

THE AVERAGE VIDEO GAME BUYER HAS NO IDEA WHAT GPU EQUIVALENT IS IN ANY CONSOLE NOR DO THEY CARE!

Ashes

Banned
Well Gaf mods have "backed" VGLeaks afaik and if they both have the same docs.... And aegies also said the IGN story about Durango having HD6670 was true but for Orbis instead.

I haven't seen any evidence of Orbis aiming for, or a dev kit sporting, a HD6670 anywhere else correct me if I'm wrong.

Jaguar to Steamroller cores was a sideways move possibly because Steamroller wasn't ready? And the 2>4GB move was always an aim.

I haven't seen any other evidence of a spec bump.

Isn't that what I just said? :p

Edit: wait, they are pushing for 8GB now. That's something new. And also note early on, some of us were comparing quad core jaguar with 8 core CPU.

RibMan

Why are people even mentioning Illumiroom, it would require a whole separate EXPENSIVE projector at least a couple of hundred £/$, there is no way they would be able to afford to include it and it would hardly sell very well if it cost as much as the console itself just to have pretty lights on the wall around the TV.

I think Microsoft will adopt a subsidized model, so they can definitely incorporate Illumiroom technology in their next box. I do agree that Illumiroom needs to be more than "lights around the TV"; they need to show how the projection can create entirely new gameplay experiences.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm behind, but which is rumored strongest in the race? PS4 or 720? I know their GPU might designed and run differently, so i'm curious with GAF's opinions.

FourMyle

WTF.

You either:-

1. Are being deliberately disingenuous
2. Don't understand what your looking at
3. Need glasses

Probably 2 as I am sure there are many "under the hood" graphical improvements that aren't immediately noticeable to a layman like me. But that's just the point. It isn't noticeable enough to someone like me who isn't a complete graphics geek.

Samaritan is more than just a face. Don't bring that Quantic Dream anti-videogame QTE stuff in this thread.

beyond isnt just a face. there's a significant amount of gameplay video around with full body movement, environments, etc. it's good looking, but obviously not on the samaritan demo level.

thats definitely a ps3 game though, and with the ps4 conservatively estimated to be somewhere around 8 times more powerful the games we'll be getting should exceed that demo easily...though it might take time to get there. remember, consoles always outperform pcs with similar specs. good luck getting a PC with 500 megs of ram to run gow3 at 60fps.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I don't know how anyone can be happy with the specs in the OP to be honest, when the 360 launched it had a better GPU than any PC GPU back then, if the rumors are true this time it (next xbox) will feature a GPU that is barley comparable to a mid-range PC GPU.
It was more efficient with a more modern design but high end PC GPUs still had more brute force power in 2005. It only becomes apparent when comparing straight PC->console ports like Valve's Source engine games.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
You forgot the part where only the models were at the highest fidelity for those 2 PS3 exclusives. The environments are not on the same level.

Such insight, next you are going to tell me the fans in the seats don't have the same number of triangles as the cars in Forza! What you said is true for every video games made.

Kimawolf

Probably 2 as I am sure there are many "under the hood" graphical improvements that aren't immediately noticeable to a layman like me. But that's just the point. It isn't noticeable enough to someone like me who isn't a complete graphics geek.

And that's the thing isn't it? To me it's obvious Samartarian looks better, but it doesn't look so much better i'm like oh wow!!!. That's normal folks looking at screenshots. One does look better obviously but not enough to make the other look "bad".

You still dont get it. You are talking in terms of GPUs. You are trying to frame the argument in terms of what PC gamers and people highly interested in spec sheets want.

THE AVERAGE VIDEO GAME BUYER HAS NO IDEA WHAT GPU EQUIVALENT IS IN ANY CONSOLE NOR DO THEY CARE!

This is a gaming forum not the line in front of gamestop, I'm talking about the logic of the people in this thread. The average consumer is always going to be a sheeptard who you can oversell anything and everything (be it a 50 dollar hdmi cable or a pair of 20 dollar headphones with a 300 dollar logo)

Were this a casual non enthusiast forum I'd probably have just insulted half the readers with those two examples, but here it's maybe 5 percent :p )

Until you see the two games in motion and the characters in their environment. Then you realize how foolish of a comparison it was.

Honestly, I think it points to a larger truth: we're entering an age of laws of diminishing returns for graphic output.

I mean, Star Wars 1337 looks great, but it doesn't melt my face like going from PS2-> PS3. The improvements will be more subtle.

Eh? Right now Beyond is more of a video game than Samaritan is. Unless you have insider info you're not telling us, because don't get me wrong I'd love to see Samaritan turned into a game in that setting.

Samaritain is a tech demo. It doesn't exist as a game.

If Samartian doesn't exist as a game then what is the point of the comparison? To show how good the face of one demo looks compared to another demo? The Samaritan tech demo was a demonstration of the featureset and quality of an UE3 iteration.

The imagine of the QD game shows a high quality face. Faces have to be high quality in those games because QD games are a different genre altogether where the camera focusses on faces a lot.

The comparison is like comparing a Gran Turismo car model to a GTA car model really. There is so much more going in GTA that it makes the comparison pointless. Even then Samaritan hold up pretty well.
And yes, there have been "gameplay" demos of samaritan (free roaming, physics test).

Besides, forget how Heavy Rain looked? Great face models, mediocre environments. While Beyond is an evolution in the visuals department compared to Heavy Rain, it still has the same flaws and restrictions.

Log4Girlz

That's why they've probably already transitioned to tablets.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Fair enough. Folks just concentrate on the main character but when you add in what's happening to the surrounding environment. It's very impressive. Almost movie quality CGI.

szaromir

Banned
Again it's not about how much people expect.
But when making an informed purchase you compare the value presented to what is available right now, not what was available 8 years ago.
I'm talking about price/performance, features and how technologically impressive something is.

When sony or ms go 'here is a 7770 equivalent gpu in a 499 euro box' (arbitrary numbers for arguments sake) you don't go my that is a step up from an xbox 360 take my money...
I'm sure stockholders would love you for this attitude and logic though, dang:p

Fact remains that it is 2013, a close equivalent both in performance and architecture to a 65W gpu (taking the 7970m orbis is supposed to be based on and ignoring that the orbis gpu is cut and downclocked for argument's sake) with 256bit bus is not cutting edge nor high end nor expensive.
Can you be happy with it? of course! but it is what it is (and the smart consumer will keep that in mind when they decide what they will pay for it)

Then when you compare the durango gpu to it you can still think it's enough for you, but you don't go rationalise that opinion by claiming it's great because it's a significant step up from xbox 360.
It still very much is what it is.

If people proclaim dissapointment or a neutral you stance you don't counter with 'but it's still better than xbox 360/ps3

Imo informed purchases make for happy consumers and less buyer's remorse and less fanboy crap in general.

I'm already awaiting the trolls who will go red mist mode and divert with a 'well what were you expecting a 300W gpu in a console'
that is for another thread.
People bought over 20M PS360s in 2012, at $200-$400, knowing full well they won't compare to modern PCs. Orbis/Durango appear to be almost an order of magnitude more capable, and they're likely to be sold at $400 at launch. I intend to keep PC as my main platform, but consoles will be fine for the general audience, especially when tablets/phones are still far behind PS360 as far as displayed graphics go. Also, you must consider that most developers will not be able to take full advantage of those consoles.

And yeah, Orbis/Durango are disappointments only if you were delusional about their potential capabilities before the specs leaked.

Ashes

Banned
This is a gaming forum not the line in front of gamestop, I'm talking about the logic of the people in this thread. The average consumer is always going to be a sheeptard who you can oversell anything and everything (be it a 50 dollar hdmi cable or a pair of 20 dollar headphones with a 300 dollar logo)

That burns. But it makes a fellah rich. Don't it? ;/
Wish I could sell headphones just cause of my name.

EvB

If you've played Heavy Rain you'll understand that they aren't particuarly "gamey" games, during the times where the graphics are at it's best you are watching a cutscene or a really heavily controlled section where the camera can only look at what the developers want you to see or where they can very carefully control the assets onto screen.

I bet that Character model in that screenshot is specifically used during cutscenes or even during certain shots where there is little else on screen except that face.

Uncharted does it, Halo does it, there is no reason to believe that Beyond isn't doing it either.

That's before anybody even comments that the screenshot you posted there was issued by Sony at 5120x2172 , which we know isn't going to be the native resolution and without pixel counting is clearly running AA processes and more accurate DOF techniques that aren't going to be present on consumer PS3 hardware.
It is without doubt the very definition of a bullshot.

charsace

People are badly underrating what the next gen systems will be able to do. On a mobility ATI 2600 with 512mb gddr3 and a 1.9ghz C2D with a 600mhz FSB I can run Overgrowth, a game that has a lot of features that you will see in the PS4/XB3, at 720p no problem. On this same laptop I can run unity and get my sucky procedural animation script running well.

Nextgen is gonna look real good. Look at Watchdogs. The game is open world and features procedural animation on a level higher than anything we have seen outside of Max Payne. And that game will most likely be out within the first year of the next gen.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Based on the above shots, Beyond Souls looks better. But a single screen of just a facial close up only tells a tiny bit of the full story.

That is true, and I saying any of you are wrong cuz Samaritan may have some amazing gameplay untouched by this gen & it is just a shot of the faces, but one is running on a bullshit spec PC & the other is a 7 year old PS3
like you said nib95 Beyond looks better, that shouldn't be even remotely possible, both are cutscenes so Beyond shouldn't even touch it.
Samaritan should look like this
blade_runner_1982_3.jpg

but clearer lol

joke btw

UrbanRats

Yeah but that stuff WILL become obvious even to you, when developers actually start using it in practical ways outside of a techdemo.

In the same way that a prebaked skybox may have looked as good as RedDeadRedemption's, but you had no possibility to have a seamless day&night cycle, with that quality (this is just a random example).
Developers can be creative and pull off stuff like Beyond with a thousand tricks and restraints, the moment they can do that without the same amount of restraints, new possibilities open up, and all becomes obvious.

THE:MILKMAN

Isn't that what I just said? :p

Edit: wait, they are pushing for 8GB now. That's something new. And also note early on, some of us were comparing quad core jaguar with 8 core CPU.

LOL god knows I'm getting all confused. I'm just trying to clear up where the hell the Orbis mid 2012 spec bump stuff is coming from.

Apart from some forced sideways moves I'm not seeing any spec bump in mid 2012 for Orbis looking at the VGLeaks dev kit road map article.

I guess it doesn't really matter at this point anyway.

People seem to not have paid attention to the fact Beyond Two has got an atrocious frame rate.

You'll need next gen to not have an extremely constrained game.

If you need to a good indicator of things. Black Ops 2 proved too much for the COD engine to stay at 60.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have a feeling that this will be a next-gen title.

Because its a likely low volume seller but very pretty, the sort of thing that would be a nice showcase for launch?

Surely it's too far gone at the moment. I guess they could do a HD update.

Did we get this desire/wondering about late Ps2 games being moved to PS3?

mr_toa

I'm behind, but which is rumored strongest in the race? PS4 or 720? I know their GPU might designed and run differently, so i'm curious with GAF's opinions.

(1) TechGAF is so far giving PS4 the nod in terms of raw GPU power
(2) DebateGAF, on the other hand, seems to slightly leaning towards 720 in terms of number of strawman arguments made in the 720's "favour".

But that last benchmark is still being discussed :)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This level of "in game" character modeling is what I'm hoping for next gen. No more low fidelity models for game play and hi detailed models for the ut scenes.

And thats why I think Watchdogs looks currentgen, the character models suck for a supposedly nextgen game

The DOF in that Beyond 2 Souls shot has a strange effect, as if the entire screen has a 2D blur filter applied over everything except the Ellen Page model is cut out and not perfectly. You can see a bit of the background around the edge of her shoulder. Is that a low cost technique for DOF?

Top Bottom