• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Victor Lucas is in a league of his own when it comes to game interviews

Victor Lucas is our Walter Cronkite.

I would say he's gamings Kurt Loder

rgTMv3g.jpg

I had the amazing opportunity and great fortune to interview, Tommy Tallarico in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia in 2012 during the Video Games Live Tour. I grew up watching a lot of The Electric Playground and Reviews on The Run/Judgment Day on TV back in the late 90's to mid 2000s. I learned so much about the gaming industry especially the people behind the games. I've always wanted to meet Victor Lucas as he's also another one of my gaming idols/inspiration.

Here's an in-depth interview:
k4k7Sk1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxEOLNQJFvc

We also did a full review on Earthworm Jim for the SEGA Genesis and Super Nintendo. Tommy also provides some 'behind the scenes' info about the making of EWJ.

Here's our review:

LJcQVCE.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXvz7vbfYZI

Batwing

Neo Member
You guys rock! Yeah I love the long the long form opportunity that the Internet provides us and the plan is for many more in depth interviews and mini-docs. We’ve got a great interview with Dan Hay around Far Cry 5 (and 3, 4, Primal...) that I can’t wait for you to see. Also Tommy and I will be sitting down again soon—count on it! We both miss working with each other.

I also started a movie review channel with my friend Johnny Millennium from the Happy Console Gamer show. It’s called Film Fury:

YouTube.com/FilmFury

So we have been making a lot of fun material this year and we’re prepping for the end of the year stuff with a ton more reviews, some holiday features and we’ll wrap things up with the Rocket & Raygun Awards. Thanks for supporting EP, ROTR, Film Fury and EPN! :) ❤️

-Vic
YouTube.com/EPNtv

You guys rock! Yeah I love the long the long form opportunity that the Internet provides us and the plan is for many more in depth interviews and mini-docs. We've got a great interview with Dan Hay around Far Cry 5 (and 3, 4, Primal...) that I can't wait for you to see. Also Tommy and I will be sitting down again soon—count on it! We both miss working with each other.

I also started a movie review channel with my friend Johnny Millennium from the Happy Console Gamer show. It's called Film Fury:

YouTube.com/FilmFury

So we have been making a lot of fun material this year and we're prepping for the end of the year stuff with a ton more reviews, some holiday features and we'll wrap things up with the Rocket & Raygun Awards. Thanks for supporting EP, ROTR, Film Fury and EPN! :) ❤️

-Vic
YouTube.com/EPNtv

Wow is this THE VICTOR LUCAS??? I believe your username is the same as PSN/XBL hence I remember 'Batwing'. You've been a major inspiration for me and I think I can speak on behalf of all the EP/ROTR fans, thank you for giving us insight into the gaming industry for the past 20 plus years.

You guys rock! Yeah I love the long the long form opportunity that the Internet provides us and the plan is for many more in depth interviews and mini-docs. We’ve got a great interview with Dan Hay around Far Cry 5 (and 3, 4, Primal...) that I can’t wait for you to see. Also Tommy and I will be sitting down again soon—count on it! We both miss working with each other.

I also started a movie review channel with my friend Johnny Millennium from the Happy Console Gamer show. It’s called Film Fury:

YouTube.com/FilmFury

So we have been making a lot of fun material this year and we’re prepping for the end of the year stuff with a ton more reviews, some holiday features and we’ll wrap things up with the Rocket & Raygun Awards. Thanks for supporting EP, ROTR, Film Fury and EPN! :) ❤️

-Vic
YouTube.com/EPNtv

Always great to see content from you guys. RotR was magic in a bottle entertainment. I feel like that format wouldn't work for games in today's industry environment but back then with so many game release coming out it at a constant pace it was really hard to keep up with stuff and the bite sized reviews you guys served up was fantastic.

Canadians tend to be the best.

William Shatner

Hayden Christensen

Keannu Reeves

Justin Bieber

We are the best.

We are also very humble, as you can see.

PowderedToast

Bringing this thread back because this is really a top notch interview with AC: Origins game director Ashraf Ismail.

Some of the deepest, most informative stuff I've heard on the process behind the game. Vic seems to have the trust and respect of developers, and so its fun to see him really able to draw them out and go deep.

It's a crime this video has under 2k views!

it sounds hyperbolic, but this is probably the best videogame promo interview i've ever seen. not meant to be faint praise.

getting insight out of a director who is dealing with hugely restricting parameters as the face of a blockbuster video game is pretty much an art.

BFIB

I was searching a few months back for some new gaming related stuff on YouTube and came across Happy Console Gamer. I watched some of his vids, ended up subscribing and after I beat BoTW, I went back on his channel and what do I see? Victor Lucas on a Switch Unboxing video. It brought back all these memories of my college days, a lot of my Friday nights were take out Chinese, studying, with EP in the background on TechTV/G4.

It's a damn shame G4 turned into such shit, Victor, Tommy, Sessler were too good for that channel.

YouTube.com/FilmFury

-Vic
YouTube.com/EPNtv

Man i watched a lot of reruns of your shows a couple years back. Gotta lot of good info on games i missed. Thanks!

Erevador

I was searching a few months back for some new gaming related stuff on YouTube and came across Happy Console Gamer. I watched some of his vids, ended up subscribing and after I beat BoTW, I went back on his channel and what do I see? Victor Lucas on a Switch Unboxing video. It brought back all these memories of my college days, a lot of my Friday nights were take out Chinese, studying, with EP in the background on TechTV/G4.

It's a damn shame G4 turned into such shit, Victor, Tommy, Sessler were too good for that channel.
Did you ever see this Youtuber's doc on the rise and fall of G4? I thought it was quite well done.

The reason why Lucas and his YouTube channel looks professional is because it is. He still films it like a TV show, which shows. No stupid jump cuts every 10 seconds mid sentence. Plus he's very likeable.

Erevador

The reason why Lucas and his YouTube channel looks professional is because it is. He still films it like a TV show, which shows. No stupid jump cuts every 10 seconds mid sentence. Plus he's very likeable.
It's definitely an actual skill to be able to spend time on camera comfortably for an extended period of time and remain relaxed, interesting, and engaged. Most of the YouTube kids are so socially awkward they can only scream into their fisheye lens for ten seconds at a time, then they just jumpcut. A lot of the streamer types just babble whatever comes into their heads for hours at a time in their dark basement.

Someone like Vic is really refreshing in that regard, because he's a genuinely professional host who keeps things moving and can get deep. His Mass Effect Andromeda response was great, totally off the cuff, but still a deep analysis with some real heartache about Bioware's failures with the game. There's no supplement for the years of experience that someone like him is able to bring to the table.

I think this channel could definitely do well in the future as more gamers find it, and as Vic gets more and more used to creating work that's designed to live on the internet first.

Top Bottom