• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video for new NIN song "Less Than" is basically a Polybius Let's Play

paulogy

Nine Inch Nails ~ Less Than
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDV-dOvqKzQ

Jeff Minter, creator of Polybius, adds:

"helping out with the video for the new NIN was one of the most unexpected but most fun bits of work I've had, we really enjoyed it :D"

"I made a timed script thingie running in the PC version of Polybius to do text and in-game effects in time to the music :)"

"one of these days I'll do a vid of how cool it looks with the scripted distortions and running on our MAME cab..."

More:
I reached out to Jeff and got more info on exactly how the video came together, along with some info on the custom build he sent to Trent and the upcoming PC version. Link at Ars.

paulogy

And not that it matters, but I can't make out what controller they're using, even after minor image enhancement:
9eqvDcM.png

MrS

Banned
Really glad to see Polybius getting some shine and I hope this exposure will boost its sales a little. It's a fantastic game and a must buy for people who enjoy tube shooters and shmups.

That was rad, their aesthetics match up well. Hope this new EP is good, I liked the last one but didn't much care for Hesitation Marks. Long live Llamasoft!

*Splinter

Seems to be that Xbox Style "Pro" Controller for the PS4
Raiju? Nah, you can see the colourings on the face buttons match Xbox rather than PlayStation.

Also asymetric sticks

I see three blue dots on the X/square button. Sure I've seen that before but don't remember where.

(I don't know why I'm discussing the controller)

Pandy

Controller clearly has Xbox color coding on the buttons, so no.
I'm looking on mobile, but the only colour I can see on the buttons is from the reflected light of the screen.

EDIT: That said, I've picked up my Pro Controller and if the light was reflecting off those buttons then the + & - buttons would be visible too, so it isn't a Pro Controller.

Wozman23

I really miss old school nin in sound and presentation. :(

I'd kill for something that sounds like Fragile era nails.

I was actually thinking this sounded much more like NIN's past than some of the recent stuff. Sure it doesn't go as far back, but at least this kinda feels like a worthy successor to Year Zero, which was the last album to really amaze me.

samred

I reached out to Jeff and got more info on exactly how the video came together, along with some info on the custom build he sent to Trent and the upcoming PC version. Link at Ars.

Minter says he was under a time crunch with "only a few days" to finish the build, and he didn't see NIN's results until the video went live to the public. "Of course I was a bit anxious, since when you're doing your own creative work and it needs to mesh with the work of an artist, it's not entirely a given that your work will agree with what he had in mind," Minter says. "I just did stuff that I felt went well with the energy of the music, and I was really pleased when Trent liked what we'd done." (Minter is clearly excited, adding, "Did we mention we're chuffed?")

paulogy

I was actually thinking this sounded much more like NIN's past than some of the recent stuff. Sure it doesn't go as far back, but at least this kinda feels like a worthy successor to Year Zero, which was the last album to really amaze me.

Actually reminds me a bit of Ringfinger, now that you mention it.

Nice.

RowdyReverb

Idk, it sounds like it would fit perfectly in Hesitation Marks I think
Which was a decent album IMO

Wozman23

Idk, it sounds like it would fit perfectly in Hesitation Marks I think
Which was a decent album IMO

Hesitation Marks was solid. I was mainly unimpressed with the soundtrack work and the Not The Actual Events EP.

I'm still having trouble nailing down exactly what this reminds me of the most. Thematically I heard Year Zero immediately, but it's a lot more than that. Musically I hear a lot of early stuff. And I can't quite put my finger on what the vocals remind me of, but some of the falsetto-y sections feel really familiar.

Hesitation Marks was solid. I was mainly unimpressed with the soundtrack work and the Not The Actual Events EP.

I'm still having trouble nailing down exactly what this reminds me of the most. Thematically I heard Year Zero immediately, but it's a lot more than that. Musically I hear a lot of early stuff. And I can't quite put my finger on what the vocals remind me of, but some of the falsetto-y sections feel really familiar.

It reminds you of "Not So Pretty Now".

Ooh, I had no idea that the new song was out. Good stuff. Thanks, GAF gaming side.

As for the controller debate, It's most likely an Xbox One controller of sorts. Look at the sticks during the close ups. The base of them shine, and I'm pretty sure the Switch Pro doesn't do that. And if they do, they're still a different shape.

Ethelwulf

Friend: what is neogaf?
Me: A place where you can talk about nine inch nails, heorin and console controllers all in the same thread.

low-G

Other thread kinda died so I'll repeat here.

Fan of NIN & Minter. So happy that the PC version is coming. It's one thing to miss a Minter game and another to hear that it's one of his best. Cannot wait.

Top Bottom