• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video for new NIN song "Less Than" is basically a Polybius Let's Play

Wozman23

Haha! It sounds like a mix of "Dear World" and "Not So Pretty Now", with some "The Hand That Feeds" and "Ringfinger". It's good though that it sounds like NIN! Lol

Edit: and some of "Satellite".

I think I found it!: With Teeth's "All The Love In The World" has a similar chord structure in its falsetto bits. So we've pretty much established it sounds like everything from Pretty Hate Machine to Not The Actual Events and almost everything in between, which is probably why I'm digging it the more and more I listen to it.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
In my teens I bought every Halo I could get my hands on. Now I can hardly get through a single song he makes. It's very confusing to me that my I now think my once favorite artist by a mile is a talentless hack who just recycles past glories in a new and shitty wrapping.

Bleh.

This is awesome and it's nice to see NIN sounding better than their last album. I still have never seen them live here in the UK 😭

B_Signal

In my teens I bought every Halo I could get my hands on. Now I can hardly get through a single song he makes. It's very confusing to me that my I now think my once favorite artist by a mile is a talentless hack who just recycles past glories in a new and shitty wrapping.

Bleh.

Each to his own and all that, but I think it's unfair to accuse Reznor of that. He's changed his sound a lot over the years, he's tried to push himself

The highlight of the year is still that Twin Peaks episode tho

Chumley

Banned
Best NiN song since 2008, absolutely love it.

https://www.engadget.com/2009/09/24/interview-trent-reznor/

A reminder that Trent is quite a gamer and in 2009 was a fan of Nintendo and Microsoft.

Btw I don't like Year Zero but I love Hesitation Marks and this song sounds like it's part of that album.

Trent did the music for Quake and Call of Duty Black Ops too, along with a bunch of stuff for Doom 3. I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting.

SpacLock

First off, it's new Xbox One controller in the video. Earlier someone posted a picture of the older style with the strong grooves separating the top of the controller from the body. That isn't the case now. Now it seamlessly dips into the body...

like this.

Second, I dig the song. People who expect Trent to pull Downward Spiral and Fragile era music out of his ass are insane. He's been going this direction for awhile now.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Each to his own and all that, but I think it's unfair to accuse Reznor of that. He's changed his sound a lot over the years, he's tried to push himself

The highlight of the year is still that Twin Peaks episode tho

He's changed his sound somewhat yes, but that's not impressive. Most musicians do that or they'd get sick of doing it. He's using the same intervals and melody lines he's been stuck in for over a decade now, and I'm not falling for it anymore. Every single time I hear a new song, my first thought is "which other NIN song does this remind me of?". Judging by the reactions to this song, I'm not alone in finding things a wee bit familiar.

SpacLock

He's changed his sound somewhat yes, but that's not impressive. Most musicians do that or they'd get sick of doing it. He's using the same intervals and melody lines he's been stuck in for over a decade now, and I'm not falling for it anymore. Every single time I hear a new song, my first thought is "which other NIN song does this remind me of?". Judging by the reactions to this song, I'm not alone in finding things a wee bit familiar.

Oh, so you mean like this.

Bleh.

Talentless hack?

Dude has done a lot more in terms of the sound and vibe compared to 90s NIN, his work in music and the industry itself is extremely varied and impressive. He’s not putting out the same album over and over, so I’m not sure what you’re expecting. Sounds like your tastes changed and it really has nothing to do with Trent.

Trent did the music for Quake and Call of Duty Black Ops too, along with a bunch of stuff for Doom 3. I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting.

To be specific I believe he did Quake (neither of the expansions), Black Ops 2, and he did some unused sound design for Doom 3 (which has since been leaked and his Imp sounds were great). He's had some of his songs appear in games over the years too with Tony Hawk's Project 8 sticking out in my mind (Getting Smaller was on Project 8's soundtrack).

Second, I dig the song. People who expect Trent to pull Downward Spiral and Fragile era music out of his ass are insane. He's been going this direction for awhile now.

Agreed. The idea that all of Trent's post 90s work is bad is a falsehood. Also, him trying to do new 90s era nin now would likely sound fake and forced and despite what some think drugs were only part of why those albums were what they were. Youthful anger and depression were HUGE pieces of that puzzle. The only thing Trent really has to be angry or depressed about these days is politics and he can't just do entire albums about politics for the rest of his life, so he has to do stuff about getting older, reflect on his past, etc. (he doesn't have to do that but you know what I mean).

I actually dig this song, Ill be seeing them at Riot Fest this year. Cant Wait!

I'm gonna be there too!

chris121580

Song is awesome and love seeing the marketing for Polybius. Jeff Minter deserves all the continued success with his creative games

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Talentless hack?

Dude has done a lot more in terms of the sound and vibe compared to 90s NIN, his work in music and the industry itself is extremely varied and impressive. He’s not putting out the same album over and over, so I’m not sure what you’re expecting. Sounds like your tastes changed and it really has nothing to do with Trent.

You don't need to tell me what he's done. I was such a fan I bought every alternate version of every halo. I have five copies of TDS. I know what he's done. I was NIN nerd.

But I think he has lost "it". Nothing he's done post the fragile in any way comes close to the fragile and prior. When I hear new NIN stuff I just hear old songs and melodies being reused. Callkng him talentless is obviously hyperbolic, but he hasn't created anything memorable in over a decade imo, so how am I supposed to react when new stuff is released and yet again I hear trcycled chord progressions from his past?

jmartoine

You don't need to tell me what he's done. I was such a fan I bought every alternate version of every halo. I have five copies of TDS. I know what he's done. I was NIN nerd.

But I think he has lost "it". Nothing he's done post the fragile in any way comes close to the fragile and prior. When I hear new NIN stuff I just hear old songs and melodies being reused. Callkng him talentless is obviously hyperbolic, but he hasn't created anything memorable in over a decade imo, so how am I supposed to react when new stuff is released and yet again I hear trcycled chord progressions from his past?

What are your thoughts on With Teeth and Year Zero?

Top Bottom