• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Wallpapers, Fan Art & Hi-Res Artwork Thread of Eternal August

Melissalee2010

Neo Member
Hello,

A little off-topic somewhat, but I went on ettugamer earlier today and couldn't manage to download any of the original file size images on that site... Usually there is a save image icon in the upper-right corner when you preview an image to do so. Has anyone else noticed/experienced this issue lately as well? :(

icaro9

Banned
Hello,

A little off-topic somewhat, but I went on ettugamer earlier today and couldn't manage to download any of the original file size images on that site... Usually there is a save image icon in the upper-right corner when you preview an image to do so. Has anyone else noticed/experienced this issue lately as well? :(

Me too :( anyone knows a solution?

BTHR Zero X

c08ad2b53348065f22bccec67442ea9b.png
13e9ab2bbb24908a5af6555971a40a77.jpg
bde80ff2284ef11a56ee013319e062ef.png

3b08507485767ac54889b8deacc73792.jpg
3e977ace6a1a4a17e101232786d1ed9f.png
4451a4388f3384ac246d271c8b7e6be5.jpg

5317b318b8871c42f26ef1bad9d4d8a3.jpg
6d01407dcb1cd46f2767f5a2684c9db5.jpg
b5c6e4365b034c049f3f5f9cc3ab14c5.jpg

i.php
Does anyone have these in full size clear png's?

-BLITZ-

Okay my man, I'm gladly that I manage to help you out with most of your request, but or the first time, I say that you should do that or even more to who made these renders and the same for artist of the cover. Me, some sweet mixed natural fruit juice.

Does anybody have a super high res image of the FF VI box from Japan? Without the logos? I'm basically looking for any and all high res FF VI artwork I can find, but that particular image is striking (the one where Terra is overlooking Narsh in the Magitek armor).

Cyrano

Does anybody have a super high res image of the FF VI box from Japan? Without the logos? I'm basically looking for any and all high res FF VI artwork I can find, but that particular image is striking (the one where Terra is overlooking Narsh in the Magitek armor).
I've haven't seen too many high-res images of Amano's work that weren't scans, but here's one I found via Google search (it's a scan too).

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120725074128/finalfantasy/images/2/2c/FFVIAmano.jpg

What happen with ettugamer.com gallery?, the download button it's no longer there and I can't download the images at max resolution using right click.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Lol i didn't expect to see one of my old work here, i heard it was print as posters, i wish i had one.
Do you want me to delete it?
q8sMP6P.gif

I mean it is your work and your deviantart page doesn't contain the artwork in such size, so if you do not want to see it here just let me know.

Cyrano

How come that you don't have it, when you made the art. You don't keep what you make :-/
And this illustrates the importance of digital preservation perfectly...

So many beautiful things lost due to an over-privatized press (the group that has the most access to these assets), which likely cares less about what they put out and more about their profit margins.

Not terribly surprised, I just think it's unfortunate that so much of this stuff will inevitably be lost forever due to a lack of care by the industry for its creations. As far as I know, only Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft actively preserve their artwork. Everyone else... well, I know for a fact have lost hundreds of thousands of pieces of artwork in their history as companies. Especially true when companies go through mergers or break-ups (THQ lost a ton of stuff, if the people I've talked to are to be believed, most of the Valkyrie Profile artwork is now gone, the stuff from Magna Carta 2, near as I can tell, is gone entirely, after having discussed it with Hyung-Tae Kim, his originals were held by Softmax, and Softmax has since gotten rid of them to make space for their new products).

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo

So many beautiful things lost due to an over-privatized press (the group that has the most access to these assets), which likely cares less about what they put out and more about their profit margins.

Not terribly surprised, I just think it's unfortunate that so much of this stuff will inevitably be lost forever due to a lack of care by the industry for its creations. As far as I know, only Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft actively preserve their artwork. Everyone else... well, I know for a fact have lost hundreds of thousands of pieces of artwork in their history as companies. Especially true when companies go through mergers or break-ups (THQ lost a ton of stuff, if the people I've talked to are to be believed, most of the Valkyrie Profile artwork is now gone, the stuff from Magna Carta 2, near as I can tell, is gone entirely, after having discussed it with Hyung-Tae Kim, his originals were held by Softmax, and Softmax has since gotten rid of them to make space for their new products).
Reading this makes me wanna cry.... a lot
1rMo8JX.gif

Cyrano

Reading this makes me wanna cry.... a lot
1rMo8JX.gif
Yeah, it's pretty bad. Those Earthbound assets up above are actually reproductions, not originals. Preservation only really started to happen around 2000 or so, before that... good luck. Though what's worse is that the state of digital preservation even now for videogames is horrendous. I'm currently attempting to work towards a PhD which will afford these assets the TLC they deserve.

Most Japanese stuff is even worse. They literally burn original cell animations, sketches, drawings, etc. before moving onto the next project. Or they give them away to employees. Generally, most stuff is simply gotten rid of, in a fairly permanent fashion.

I'm just sort of wondering when videogames will get their American Film Institute (which spends tens of millions on this stuff every year). In a sense, videogames are actually treading the path of the film industry, which generally lost most of its assets for the first 40 years of film or so. They learned a hard lesson from that.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I just don't understand, if they don't care much about old artworks and assets then.... consider making them available for fans and game community. I mean obviously they can't make money anymore by using them for marketing purposes or god knows what, so why in the hell do you need to get rid ot hem like it's some kind of trash or shit? It's a gaming history for Christ's sake and people need to know where and how it began.

Well, I guess we will be the ones who will store game assets on our HDD for the future generations cuz... if not we, then who?

Varth

Sorry, but this is nonsense even by the GAF standard of press-hating. "Over-privatized press"? What are you talking about?
It's not press duty to preserve art. And as much as I'd like publishers or artists (the ones who should do it) to make every asset available to the public after the release of a given game, I can't really blame them if they don't.

In this equation, press is maybe the only one that has no part. Getting hold of assets means that even when there's no explicit NDA, most of the time there's a gentleman's agreement with PR to use a given asset only for its intended use. when nothing like that is in place, no harm in sharing stuff, since to me it only has the potential to raise players awareness for a given game.

Cyrano

Sorry, but this is nonsense even by the GAF standard of press-hating. "Over-privatized press"? What are you talking about?
It's not press duty to preserve art. And as much as I'd like publishers or artists (the ones who should do it) to make every asset available to the public after the release of a given game, I can't really blame them if they don't.

In this equation, press is maybe the only one that has no part. Getting hold of assets means that even when there's no explicit NDA, most of the time there's a gentleman's agreement with PR to use a given asset only for its intended use. when nothing like that is in place, no harm in sharing stuff, since to me it only has the potential to raise players awareness for a given game.
Yes, you are right, I'm looking at it the wrong way. It really should be the responsibility of the developers, but the developers (or the publishers) generally only provide assets to the press (which does indeed put the onus on the press, given that they are the only ones who receive these creations - making them, problematically, the only ones who can preserve these things regardless - though I agree that it shouldn't be their responsibility, they are the only ones who can take it on until publishers and developers are more willing to work with preservationists). This is a rather problematic situation if there is interest in preserving work (and given that the biggest companies in the videogame industry do this, it stands to reason that companies should at least consider it important). The problem is not that the press is privatized, it is that the press is the only group that is generally allowed access. Universities spend a lot of time and energy preserving games as objects, but little time preserving the work which went into them (which is why I pointed to the American Film Institute, which spends time preserving not just the films themselves, but the work that went into them).

Also, Varth, I think the idea that when you receive things, you receive no responsibility, is kind of an escape away from what it means when you receive something. If I give someone something and they immediately destroy it, that would be considered disrespectful. Even if it's something small, there is an inherent responsibility that comes along with it, and as more is given, more responsibility is created (which is why we owe more to our parents than to our friends, and more to our friends than our acquaintances, etc.). We sign into NDAs to make our responsibility of paramount importance.

Perhaps more to the point: if we really do want no associational responsibility, why keep these pieces?

Cyrano

I just don't understand, if they don't care much about old artworks and assets then.... consider making them available for fans and game community. I mean obviously they can't make money anymore by using them for marketing purposes or god knows what, so why in the hell do you need to get rid ot hem like it's some kind of trash or shit? It's a gaming history for Christ's sake and people need to know where and how it began.

Well, I guess we will be the ones who will store game assets on our HDD for the future generations cuz... if not we, then who?
This is what I expect to happen. I do hope at some point though that people come together with this stuff and donate it to MOMA or The Made. I think there's a lot of cultural memory here that is slowly being erased, and that's really unfortunate.

That said, I'm not just interested in art preservation, I'm equally interested in old code, music revisions, scripts that didn't make it, betas, alphas, pretty much all things which eventually tend to get thrown away. I suppose that's the life of someone interested in preservation though, from anthropologists to historians.

Jobbs

Banned
Here's a piece of Dark Souls fan art that I did a while ago:

It was drawn in ball point pen on A3 paper so I had to scan it in two halves so there's a slight vertical line down the middle.

I intended to colour it but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I know this is a few weeks old but I just saw this and I love it. did you ever make a colored version?

semsei

Neo Member
Do you want me to delete it?
q8sMP6P.gif

I mean it is your work and your deviantart page doesn't contain the artwork in such size, so if you do not want to see it here just let me know.

Nah i'm fine, that pic was made to help promote the game (as fanart first), so i'm happy it made its way to being an official (semi official?) piece.

How come that you don't have it, when you made the art. You don't keep what you make :-/

oh sorry i was talking about the poster, i still have the digital version

Ah ive lost some sketches/pics that way, nothing worth posting here but it's always good for the portfolio _:)3 」∠)_

Cyrano

Ah ive lost some sketches/pics that way, nothing worth posting here but it's always good for the portfolio _:)3 」∠)_
Yeah, I can understand that (I lost a part of my thesis... that did not turn out well). Love your work, by the way.

hitoshi

Is there somebody out there with the textless / layered version of this? I so want this to be my background, but i don't want the far cry 3: blood dragon logo on it :)

Far_Cry_3__Blood_Dragon_55141.jpg

-BLITZ-

Cyrano & Agent_4Seven

That is true, from our perception, as we consider very common, but because of that, it make us to be totally separated by their principles (apples and oranges & vice versa) urge to respond on such remark towards them with a rebel reasoning, however there's more delicate than meets the eye when trying to define about them of this category of items, when is actually represents a multitude of meanings.

Definitely one meaning is for certain companies which the materials are made for marketing purpose, but they don't go beyond that and do you know why ? * Cause there is no other place to visit other than NeoGaf if you want solid gaming materials since this entire concept from here has actually started [I'm here of this reason] around 2008 by gaffers and from here others took the example and shift to their own website after finding out that such assets actually exist in large sizes. Very known by me are couple of persians sites and the one only website that isn't worthy to give his name because of what they are doing, but further than this, nobody has gone or went. *

Thus, the needs of these materials for the public are not an obligation for the media to do so if we are NOT part of their equation, we build up this trend. Nobody else is doing this and they can't. GT, Kotaku, IGN and similar websites are part of the industry. As for the rest of standard website of gaming they can't afford to do that of the reason of what Varth mentioned. Oh, and of course because I can share what I have, that's only up to my decision.

They usually hire the artist (if they don't have any in their team or they just simply want somebody else) according to their size plans or the pattern and then they make deals with any studio client in which they will handle all of the shop advertisement that includes banners, cardboard renders, cardboard shelves and labels, sticker and printing for big events like E3/Gamescom and such or for the public advertisement displayed outside the streets. Not only can they make all of this, but they can do the boxart, artbook and the hole packaging product with the selected art and that's pretty much it. And very few go through the process of releasing in their Limited Editions, Bonus CD/PressKit including the original format, not to mention the 10 times wrapped up poster that will lose the value in time.

This happens commonly on large companies, but for the independent producers and as publishers of their own product, the perspective is completely different. They print their own assets and display at their studio headquarters covering an entire wall. This is more than hanging up something, it represents that devoted love toward the art they created because through this it will always show how much they care about what they are making and they don't stop only here as they also put some interest towards the fans by releasing their work as you can prove over the past years on this three threads. I mean, c'mon, we can't simply deny that easily everything they released to not exist.
In that way they will acquire a better advertisement, they will grab a much larger customers that will make to love their product even more. About this; Oh Boy, I sure do love one studio that throws their assets like candy into me, they never bothered with strict ideals, on the contrary they even welcoming you to their assets to any place they are releasing them.

One thing for sure that I know of, is that what is here will grow in time because these materials will become if not, they already are introduced as digital materials and I refer to things that you can already see them everywhere, always showing up as support to any press release news [recently GTA V]. People will gather more interested into them as they are and will be part of the game composition. Hopefully, more companies that are considering them enough important, will look over their windows, down to the street to see that, out there, others like them seem to exist and maybe other similar NDA arrangements in the world of gaming industry will be removed from the list or be more friendlier.

Yes, I thought about THQ myself, lately. That is one of the most troubling thing to see. Most of the old materials are lost or forgotten in a dusty HDD inside some antic box thrown in corner on which only the universe knows where now. Once more, for them what is lost remains lost and they move forward, but for us is suffering because is how we see this in our own way. Even today I'm trying to find for myself some really rare stuff. I don't want just to have it on my HDD, it will soon appear on one of my walls because through the art I'm looking and remember about the game that I like so much about.

I didn't want to give examples of companies because I didn't want to expose myself to what I'm work with.

Cyrano

I agree Blitz, I hope there is more media transparency in the future, as it can only serve to brighten those whose love for the companies is real, and I think a lot of the reason it doesn't happen is because they believe that resale becomes impossible if they release assets, which hasn't really been the case (it's my opinion that it actually increases sales, and I can only say that the increasing presence of companies like Udon and Dark Horse in the artbook industry seem to back this up). There's a valuable media lesson in academia that essentially argues that people buy what they buy do it because it's something they want. People buy artbooks because of their media textuality and the value they find in the company or companies which put them together.

I think there's a sort of imagined worry that person X or person Y is going to corrupt or misrepresent them in some way, but this hasn't often been the case, at least in my experience. The people who collect and store these things see them as important media objects, typically, but it is unfortunate that companies often don't see them in the same light. Large companies in particular, save for the few which are slightly more progressive about the whole process.

Very known by me are couple of persians sites and the one only website that isn't worthy to give his name because of what they are doing, but further than this, nobody has gone or went.

??

Mutt

Neo Member
Is there somebody out there with the textless / layered version of this? I so want this to be my background, but i don't want the far cry 3: blood dragon logo on it :)

Far_Cry_3__Blood_Dragon_55141.jpg

I subscribed to this thread waiting for this. Really cool retro 80's.

semsei

Neo Member
Yeah, I can understand that (I lost a part of my thesis... that did not turn out well). Love your work, by the way.

∠( 'ω')/ Thanks

They printed that image on the log books that gamestop employees use last month.

My guess was a poster put up by an fan+employee in a videogame store somewhere in the world lol, but thats pretty cool too. - these logbooks are collector items now, aren't they ( ゚3゚ ) ? -

-BLITZ-

Soul Sacrifice

Measurements:
- 2880 x 4000
- 2877 x 4000
- 2400 x 4000
- 2240 x 3500
- 2120 x 3000
- 4000 x 2830
- 3500 x 2364
- 5000 x 3312
- 3000 x 1964
- 4500 x 2873
- 4000 x 2440
- 3500 x 2100
- 7000 x 3938
- 3500 x 1970
- 4000 x 2203
- 5794 x 2498
- 3015 x 3000
- 2189 x 2613
- 1594 x 1739
- 1754 x 1240
- 3500 x 2359
- 3015 x 3000
- 2100 x 3000
- 2080 x 3000
- 2023 x 3000
- 1729 x 3000
- 4021 x 3000
- 8770 x 6201

-BLITZ-

You put so much with that summary Omnibus, handling that list on which is getting bigger on each day and always the second or the third post when a new page is made.

Ice cold killer. Just wanted to say that myself.

Omnibus

You put so much with that summary Omnibus, handling that list on which is getting bigger on each day and always the second or the third post when a new page is made.

Ice cold killer. Just wanted to say that myself.

Being organized is the key. :-D

Cyrano

Well... this is kinda disheartening. =/

To determine what should be done (see the "Recommendations" section), we first need to understand what activities are currently being undertaken to preserve videogames. To do this, two surveys were constructed: one for game developers, and one for game enthusiasts. The surveys were distributed through the International Game Developers Association’s white paper, presented at the Game Developers Conference, announced on the Grand Text Auto blog, and publicized among known developers and gamers including members of New England Classic Gaming [Montfort 2009].[15] Responses were collected and analyzed using the SurveyMonkey service, and questions were structured as multiple choice, free text, or a combination of the two. Very little demographic data was collected, in order to encourage participation by ensuring anonymity.

Total respondents: 48
Completion rate: 33.33% (16 respondents)
Respondents with > 50 employees: 26

Forty-eight individuals from the videogame industry responded to the survey, but only 16 answered every question. Of the respondents, 26 were from companies that had 50 or more employees, and only 6 of these made it beyond the question, "Have you considered establishing an archives/records management program?" Nine of the 26 responded that they did have a formal program, 15 did not have one, and 2 skipped the question entirely. Those with formal programs, in both smaller and larger companies, grouped their records according to project and/or type of asset (e.g. code or graphic). Figure 1 shows the main divisions of records included in archives/records management programs.

figure01.png

Although 2 respondents said that they did use records schedules, most free-text responses regarding how permanence is determined displayed a fairly casual attitude towards preservation. There were many references to item types that were necessary or reusable being kept, while everything else was tossed, and to materials only being kept for successful games. Some companies retained related documentation, while others did not. Storage environments (Figure 3) ranged from enshrining physical records in an off-limits closet to a hard drive stored under a developer’s desk. The word "whim" in reference to an individual deciding the fate of records was used more than once.
In summary, there seems to be a tendency within the game industry to make preservation decisions at the level of the individual developer, with no official guidance. When Donahue asked the question of a Garage Games developer at Foundations of Digital Games, he responded, "[laugh] We don't. Other than the source code of a game that ships, we don't care. I just had someone looking for annotated versions of our tools and we don't have them." To be fair, this is explicable. Game developers tend to work with a fixed deadline: the majority of their income is made in the holiday season, so they need to get releases out early in the 4th quarter. They also operate on a finite budget, which tends to mean fewer programmers working more hours–leading to everyone working at too breakneck a pace to give a thought to what happens to any of the interim products.

Some good news though!

Luckily for future historians, gamers, and students, the player community is very active in preserving the software and artifacts of the games they love. If enthusiasm can be inferred from response rate, the contrast between the community and industry surveys demonstrates very different levels of interest. Recall that 16 people (or 33%) of those answering completed the industry survey, a decent rate of response, according to some. The community, on the other hand, completed the survey 87% of the time, generating 54 full responses, with numerous people emailing that they wished they’d had a chance to take the survey before it closed.

Taken from here: http://www.digitalhumanities.org/dhq/vol/6/2/000129/000129.html

Hope everyone here is doing their damnedest to preserve stuff... because it doesn't seem to be happening internally.

Hope everyone here is doing their damnedest to preserve stuff... because it doesn't seem to be happening internally.

Honestly. If you think, that Ubisoft, Activision, EA, or every other top-tier bigger companies letting this amount of risk in their investments wide open to be happen (where we talking about hundreds of millions of dollars or euros), then you must be more naive then you look. They just can't afford or let any room for mistake, or disaster to happen. It's not just a business sense, but common sense as well. Backups are made EVERY DAY. So, I don't know what kind of survey was this, but this is simply bullshit.

Top Bottom