• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Videogame journalism at its worst"

Matlock

Banned
http://scrubking.blog-city.com/videogame_journalism_at_its_worst.htm

The vidoegame journalism industry has a problem. Actually it has many problems, but the main problem it faces today is that it is not taken seriously - and with good reason. How can you take a publication seriously when it constantly insults its readers, patronizes them, and hypes up games one day only to trash them the next? This is an epidemic that infests pretty much all videogame publications, and we shouldn't be surprised since journalism, in general, has taken a turn for the biased and sensational.

Today I want to talk about 1up.com and a story they have posted about the Subway spokesman Jared Fogle ( The annoying guy in all the Subway commercials ). The Headline reads "Subway Spokesman's Six Inches of Nintendo Hate", and clearly indicates that Jared in some way, shape or form "hates" Nintendo. It also claims that Jared is blaming his weight gain and junk food habit on videogames. The problem comes in when you actually read the source of 1up's story which is actually an article about Jared speaking at a college nutrition class. While Jared does mention that he started getting fat at the same time he started playing videogames, neither Jared nor the article claim that Jared blames videogames, let alone Nintendo, for making him fat. In fact he says that the best birthday present of his life was a Nintendo. So where is the hate in all of this?

At best, we can only conclude, from the source, that Jared is saying that his desire to play videogames helped him get fat. So, why is Dan Dormer of 1up saying that Jared "hates" nintendo? Clearly that is not true from the source and is a tremendous leap from what Jared actually says. Once again I ask why? Could it be the need to spice things up on a slow news day? Could it be that Dan Dormer is simply incompetent at reading comprehension? Whatever the reason, it makes Dan Dormer look like anything but a journalist - which you will see that he is actually an intern at 1up according to him.

This story is even worse for 1up.com which actually allowed such a wholly inaccurate, and probably intentionally inflammatory story to run on their site. Maybe this story got through the cracks somehow, but I doubt it. This kind of sensational, hyped up reporting is evident in just about every videogame publication, and it needs to stop. Videogame publications need to start taking their profession seriously by distancing themselves from the juvenile, rebellious attitude they try to portray in order to look cool to their readers, and start providing objective, intelligent views on the issues. They can also start by NOT posting hype, and outright lies.

Skewing a story about Jared Fogle to make it look like an anti-Nintendo slam? Man, I can't believe someone didn't do that beforehand.

My post: 4 PM, his was 5. SCANDALTON 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO*.

COME CLEAN DAN DORMER! YOU ARE THE HORRIBLE FUTURE OF GAMES JOURNALISM.

dan dormer himself sent me that blog post

not really

Amir0x

Banned
Seriously I want to discuss the issues with game "journalism" as much as anyone else, but this dude picked the dumbest shit ever to take issue with.

At best, we can only conclude, from the source, that Jared is saying that his desire to play videogames helped him get fat. So, why is Dan Dormer of 1up saying that Jared "hates" nintendo? Clearly that is not true from the source and is a tremendous leap from what Jared actually says. Once again I ask why? Could it be the need to spice things up on a slow news day? Could it be that Dan Dormer is simply incompetent at reading comprehension? Whatever the reason, it makes Dan Dormer look like anything but a journalist which you will see that he is actually an intern at 1up according to him.

Last time I checked, all journalists sensationalize news. Especially in their headlines.

Oh, and the last sentence of the quoted text is grammatically incorrect.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
I do understand where he is coming from, but his point will be lost due to his ranting on.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
The quicker people understand & stop calling these writers "Journalists" the better, yes the shit they write is sensationist & purile, but no it's not journalism.

Hell, reading some of them I find it hard to even call them writers. :p

CO_Andy

Vennt said:
The quicker people understand & stop calling these writers "Journalists" the better, yes the shit they write is sensationist & purile, but no it's not journalism.
Isn't journalism basically deformed English? They can get away with just about anything.

Any1

AdmiralViscen said:
I also find it funny that the title Videogame Journalism at its worst is itself sensationalist and inaccurate.

I noticed that too. To equate a tongue and cheek article that clearly meant no malice toward Nintendo to being the WORST thing that can happen in video game journalism is way more sensationalist then the article he references could ever be.

bumpkin

This is why you never give interns a public voice. They open their mouths and stupidity pours out. This is one area where I give G4 and X-Play a nod; they just make fun of their interns all the time.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
His thesis might have been correct but his examples were pointless.

APF

Lame article. Pick a better target next time, if you want to lament game journalism not being taken seriously.

railGUN

Banned
I'm stuck at the "one hand on the controller, one hand in a bag of chips" part... I mean, come on, you need at least 2 hands on the controller to play 99% of nintendo games, and 2 hands in a bag of chips to get fat... this just doesn't add up...

railGUN said:
I'm stuck at the "one hand on the controller, one hand in a bag of chips" part... I mean, come on, you need at least 2 hands on the controller to play 99% of nintendo games, and 2 hands in a bag of chips to get fat... this just doesn't add up...
I don't know, I got pretty good at holding a controller with one hand after playing DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball.

Jado

Banned
I was expecting a good read. What a disappointment. Just went on and on about that one minor topic of little importance.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
someone better get fired, that's all i can say. 1up are trampling over their moral obligation to me, and i must say, i'm furious and insulted.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
DCharlie said:
someone better get fired, that's all i can say. 1up are trampling over their moral obligation to me, and i must say, i'm furious and insulted.
:lol

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Wow. I'm going to have to damage control for the entire profession of journalism.

damage-control-certified.jpg

Here goes.

AdmiralViscen said:
Last time I checked, all journalists sensationalize news. Especially in their headlines.

No, but thanks for playing. Headlines communicate the jist of the story they run over in a clear, concise way. Perhaps you confuse some verb choices with "sensationalizing," such as using "to kill" very often. That is journalistic style because "kill" is a very accurate -- and short -- way to describe the ending of a person's life. If a headline reads "Terrorists kill 3" then an eye scanning over a newspaper page -- or a Web page, for that matter -- will know exactly what happened without thinking about it. Terrorists killed 3 people. Quick, to the point.

Now, if it reads "Terrorists shoot 3 people" then we have two issues: it may not be accurate, because the terrorists might have bombed, not shot, or they might have done a combination of shooting and bombing and stabbing or whatever; and it's unnecessarily long: the word "people" is unnecessary because we're obviously talking about people being killed. No one cares of insects get killed; it's naturally assumed that if something gets killed and it's important enough to run in the paper, it's a person that got killed. If there's an important story about an animal getting killed, then the headline will specify the animal.

Another thing to keep in mind is that headlines are designed to catch people's attention -- when they're well written, that is. Newspapers and Web sites are selling a product, that is, information. If a person scans over a broadsheet, the second thing they look at is headlines (after pictures) and if those headlines don't catch their attention, they won't read stories. If they don't read stories, they don't spend time with the paper and they don't look at ads and the papers make no money. The headlines must be clear and exciting (as exciting as the story's content allows -- a generic city council meeting might be a little on the boring side) in order to draw readers in to the story.

Now, that's not to say the headline should be inaccurate for the sake of being more eye-catching. Indeed, that is the very worst thing a headline writer can do. In this case, 1Up committed just such a tragedy. Their headline reads, "Subway Spokesman's Six Inches of Nintendo Hate". It might be witty, but it's also inaccurate. Jared (the Subway spokesman) did not say that he hated Nintendo. Thus, the headline cannot read that he hates Nintendo. This is an example of poor (nonexistant, really) journalism.

CO_Andy said:
Isn't journalism basically deformed English? They can get away with just about anything.

Journalists actually use a pretty rigid style that emphasizes concise, specific, accurate language. Most newspapers use the Associated Press style in some form or another. We can't get away with anything and it certainly conforms to the English language. In fact, one could argue it's more constricted than academic writing, to an extent.

The blogger in question said:
The vidoegame journalism industry has a problem. Actually it has many problems, but the main problem it faces today is that it is not taken seriously - and with good reason. How can you take a publication seriously when it constantly insults its readers, patronizes them, and hypes up games one day only to trash them the next? This is an epidemic that infests pretty much all videogame publications, and we shouldn't be surprised since journalism, in general, has taken a turn for the biased and sensational.

Today I want to talk about 1up.com and a story they have posted about the Subway spokesman Jared Fogle ( The annoying guy in all the Subway commercials ). The Headline reads "Subway Spokesman's Six Inches of Nintendo Hate", and clearly indicates that Jared in some way, shape or form "hates" Nintendo. It also claims that Jared is blaming his weight gain and junk food habit on videogames. The problem comes in when you actually read the source of 1up's story which is actually an article about Jared speaking at a college nutrition class. While Jared does mention that he started getting fat at the same time he started playing videogames, neither Jared nor the article claim that Jared blames videogames, let alone Nintendo, for making him fat. In fact he says that the best birthday present of his life was a Nintendo. So where is the hate in all of this?

At best, we can only conclude, from the source, that Jared is saying that his desire to play videogames helped him get fat. So, why is Dan Dormer of 1up saying that Jared "hates" nintendo? Clearly that is not true from the source and is a tremendous leap from what Jared actually says. Once again I ask why? Could it be the need to spice things up on a slow news day? Could it be that Dan Dormer is simply incompetent at reading comprehension? Whatever the reason, it makes Dan Dormer look like anything but a journalist - which you will see that he is actually an intern at 1up according to him.

This story is even worse for 1up.com which actually allowed such a wholly inaccurate, and probably intentionally inflammatory story to run on their site. Maybe this story got through the cracks somehow, but I doubt it. This kind of sensational, hyped up reporting is evident in just about every videogame publication, and it needs to stop. Videogame publications need to start taking their profession seriously by distancing themselves from the juvenile, rebellious attitude they try to portray in order to look cool to their readers, and start providing objective, intelligent views on the issues. They can also start by NOT posting hype, and outright lies.

At the core, this blogger is right and his example is a good one. Where he goes wrong is when he extends the problem not only to all video game journalists but all journalists in general. Contrary to his opinion, very little journalism (outside the opinion pages) is biased and sensational. If you'll let me, I'd like to clarify that I mean print journalism more than broadcast -- broadcast can be very sensational and it is becoming a problem. Bias is also more apparent in broadcast journalism, especially on certain channels.

GXAlan

I've written an article titled "The 5 Problems with Videogame Journalism." I didn't want to write negative comments on any of my peers, so to get around this problem, I wrote two "typical videogame articles" first. That way I can use my own articles as evidence. :D

I bet most people will just see the two game reviews as typical reviews, but the mistakes are all intentionally put in there. :)

First part:
http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=9215

The second part goes up tomorrow. Last part on Friday.

Alan

BuddyC

GXAlan said:
I've written an article titled "The 5 Problems with Videogame Journalism." I didn't want to write negative comments on any of my peers, so to get around this problem, I wrote two "typical videogame articles" first. That way I can use my own articles as evidence. :D

I bet most people will just see the two game reviews as typical reviews, but the mistakes are all intentionally put in there. :)

First part:
http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=9215

The second part goes up tomorrow. Last part on Friday.

Alan
Good news: You've got my attention. Interested to see what you do with it.

PC Gaijin

Ha ha, Dan Dormer. The guy can't even get the facts in his stories straight, never mind the sensationalistic headlines. Check his latest on Star Locke proposing a game tax in Texas where he gets basic things like the actual tax rate being proposed completely wrong. :lol

Wait, Danthrax, are you seriously suggesting that the news (American news, in this discussion) doesn't sensationalize their stories? Turn on any evening news channel tonight and watch them screaming about the TERRIBLE, LIFE THREATENING _____ THAT YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT.

Anyone here catch SARS? Bird flu?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
AdmiralViscen said:
Wait, Danthrax, are you seriously suggesting that the news (American news, in this discussion) doesn't sensationalize their stories? Turn on any evening news channel tonight and watch them screaming about the TERRIBLE, LIFE THREATENING _____ THAT YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT.

Anyone here catch SARS? Bird flu?

It's right there in plain English:

Danthrax said:
If you'll let me, I'd like to clarify that I mean print journalism more than broadcast -- broadcast can be very sensational and it is becoming a problem. Bias is also more apparent in broadcast journalism, especially on certain channels.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
PC Gaijin said:
Ha ha, Dan Dormer. The guy can't even get the facts in his stories straight, never mind the sensationalistic headlines. Check his latest on Star Locke proposing a game tax in Texas where he gets basic things like the actual tax rate being proposed completely wrong. :lol

i posted in the tax thread, but just in case you missed it: want to give me a source with the correct info? the one i used for the news article reported the tax as 50% for games, 10% on soda and $10,000 on abbortions. thanks.

Troidal

I've learned to view most videogame publications (online or print) as "videogame tabloids". I think it fits into the description of a "tabloid"...rumors, misleading information, hype, false accusations, misquotes, mistranslations, misinterpretations, opinions and comments written as if it were a fact, etc.

Videogames is a young industry, but the videogame media is not just young, but immature. The age range says it all. It's unfortunate there aren't as many older, mature writers in the media. I was hoping that changed over time (cuz you know those writers who still continues to write grow older!), but it hasn't in the past 5 years. It still feels the same. Ugh.

Danthrax said:
It's right there in plain English:

Since I wasn't specifically talking about broadcast journalism when you tried to shoot me down, that comment you quoted isn't too relevent. There is plenty of sensationalism in all aspects of media. Print, web, broadcast, it doesn't matter: it's everywhere. I don't know why you went on and on for so many paragraphs to shoot down something I didn't even say.

"Journalists sensationalize." That's my original statement, and it's accurate.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
PC: i found the info on his site (along with a picture of an aborted fetus - yuck!), thanks a bunch for pointing it out.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
AdmiralViscen said:
Since I wasn't specifically talking about broadcast journalism when you tried to shoot me down, that comment you quoted isn't too relevent. There is plenty of sensationalism in all aspects of media. Print, web, broadcast, it doesn't matter: it's everywhere. I don't know why you went on and on for so many paragraphs to shoot down something I didn't even say.

"Journalists sensationalize." That's my original statement, and it's accurate.

You cited "the evening news," which is of course broadcast, so that's what I thought you primarily meant. If you're calling print and Web media sensational as well, I can't refute you 100 percent. But I think it's less of a problem than it sounds like you think it is. I made some arguments about why headlines might seem more sensational than they actually are in my original post. To summarize them, some language used in journalistic writing may seem sensational when it's used to be clear and accurate; and headlines are written to catch people's attention -- journalists need money, too.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
the problem with this is that it's attacking a site whereby a good portion of the members actually agree with the authors point. Shoe wrote an editorial like 2 months ago talking about how he can't stand how awful journalism in the gaming industry is because of how people can basically buy the coverage they want.

I dunno. Good intentions, but lame example.

whytemyke said:
the problem with this is that it's attacking a site whereby a good portion of the members actually agree with the authors point. Shoe wrote an editorial like 2 months ago talking about how he can't stand how awful journalism in the gaming industry is because of how people can basically buy the coverage they want.

I dunno. Good intentions, but lame example.

Wait a minute. What? Buy the coverage they want?

Sapiens

im so sick of anyone who takes videogame publishing too seriously. i like shoe and milkman though. all the crispins and cassaminas and the parishes get on my nerves.

The problem with discussions about videogame journalistic standards on videogame forums is that, by their very nature, most users of forums believe they would make better journalists themselves. Although this is refutable, it's undeniable that users at least believe their voice should be heard and their opinion valid. Like journalists, just published in a different form. Remember that users are just as often (if not more so) working to their own agenda or preference, without impartiality.

The problem with most publications is that they rely so heavily of marketing budgets being spent by the publishers who's games they are then expected to review impartially. It's not hard to see reviews that have been bumped up – a magazine carries lots of commercially-obtained coverage of Average Game A. Average Game A then gets a favorable review or it's previewed/featured to death, with any review hitting after the game is released.

There's also the problem with publications having vested interest in the product theyr are reviewing. A great example of this is Eurogamer's 'review' of This Is Football. The game was savaged by almost all press, except the usually harsh Eurogamer. They said it was great. It turned out that Eurogamer sold some online tools to Sony for the game. The site didn't admit this until after the fact had been outed elsewhere.

Games coverage is a job. People like money. It's not rocket surgery.

For the record, I think EGM is great. They are throwing stones becuase they are one of the few magazines that can force advertising through its sheer size.

Top Bottom