• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame Stores in LA (aka polg's E3 shopping spree)

polg

Next May will be my 3rd time in LA and I want to plan my days ahead to optimize the use of the little free time I'll have.

previously I've been to 3 game shops (all of them in Santa Monica):

a) EB Games at Santa Monica Place
b) EB Games at Pico/Lincoln
c) an imports shop... (this was 5-6 years ago) it was on a street off 3rd st promenade. I wasn't able to find it last year. (Anybody knows this place?)

the catch is that this time I'll be in the hollywood/vine area, without a car.

So any suggestions? I'm specially interested in small/non-chain/import type stores. (if they still exist lol)

btw I found this: videogames - things to do in la

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
check out hyper game in west la --they stock the usual new imports, but i mainly go here for the used imports -- they have a pretty good selection of games dating back to ps1, they're always in good condition, and sometimes you find really good deals. not terribly far from downtown. they've got a website at www.hypergameaction.com

gamedude is cool too -- tons of used games for every console imaginable.

Teddman

polg said:
c) an imports shop... (this was 5-6 years ago) it was on a street off 3rd st promenade. I wasn't able to find it last year. (Anybody knows this place?)
You're thinking of Cosmo Games. Unfortunately, that second location of theirs lasted less than a year, and their longtime shop in Westwood closed down recently because an EB Games opened a block away. :(

In addition to GameDude, I would suggest Games 4 Less in Culver City (HUGE SNES selection, most new), and the Hyper Game Action stores, one in Torrance, one in Santa Monica.

polg

Teddman said:
You're thinking of Cosmo Games. Unfortunately, that second location of theirs lasted less than a year, and their longtime shop in Westwood closed down recently because an EB Games opened a block away. :(

In addition to GameDude, I would suggest Games 4 Less in Culver City (HUGE SNES selection, most new), and the Hyper Game Action stores, one in Torrance, one in Santa Monica.

sad :(

I remember I bought: DDR dancemat for DC + DDR for GBC + SNK vs Capcom for NGPC

PG2G

Games 4 Less is cool because they always price below MSRP, even if its only a couple bucks. Might as well support the little guy and save $2-3 on top of it :p

Argyle

I think the golden age of video game shops is pretty much over in LA.

Gamedude is ok, I guess...but the clerks are rude and they put their damn stickers all over the used games! (To be honest, I haven't been there in years after a few bad experiences)

There used to be a ton of great game stores in the South Bay (Torrance/Gardena) area, but the best of them are now gone (User's Side, Wanpaku)...Hyper Game Action (now called something else like Game House or something, in the same space) is still ok, and Gameland is a shadow of what it once was (well, it wasn't great to begin with - overpriced imports, unless you were looking for old oddball obscure shit, then you'd find the occasional diamond in the rough)...

That's the way I see it now, but if you guys know of some places I don't, please, prove me wrong :)

Teddman

Yeah, Cosmo Games was a huge loss, and a little known gem called Game Fixx also shut down in the Valley. Still, with GameDude, Games 4 Less, and Hyper Game Action (or whatever it's called), things are still pretty good.

Argyle

To be honest, I thought Cosmo Games was ass, I used to work nearby and go into Westwood for lunch, and everything there seemed overpriced, old, or worse, both...

The Hyper Game Action on the westside (in the Sawtelle corridor) is still called Hyper Game Action and is still pretty good. It's the Torrance location that is now called Game House...I assume the Torrance store changed hands? (The guy there seemed cool tho, so support him if you live in the area! I don't, unfortunately...)

Oh yeah, there's Japan Video Games in the San Gabriel Valley, that place is actually really good for getting imports in a timely fashion, and the prices are OK (not exorbitant, but they also rarely discount anything, so don't go there looking for bargains on old games)...

mikeGFG

Banned
As far as non-chain, speciality stores, my experience is pretty much limited to Gamedude and a few shitty import places around Van Nuys. Sadly it's a lot cheaper to order something of play-asia, lik-sang and nscx than to head over to one of those these places. :/

..heh I do remeber Cosmo Games sucking alot, yet some my friends swore by it :lol

Japan Videogames
they have every new import you could want, and with the exception of first party Nintendo stuff, they actually get imports 2-4 days before they even hit japan.

GameDude
they have something for just about every system. pretty good prices. decent selection of old magazines. some super bargains on DVDs as well.

GameForce
it's just a mom & pop shop, nothing special really, but it's walking distance from me.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Argyle said:
Gamedude is ok, I guess...but the clerks are rude and they put their damn stickers all over the used games! (To be honest, I haven't been there in years after a few bad experiences)

I went to Gamedude for the first time last month, and the clerks were extremely courteous. I also didn't see any stickers on anything aside from a tiny color-coded dot in the corner of each used game indicating their price, which is easily removable. Maybe they took all that criticism to heart?

Hyper Game is a good place. Only store in the city I was able to find an import copy of Kingdom Hearts 2 the week of release.

Games 4 Less in Culver City has some awesome deals, and an amazing selection. They've come through for me several times. They were the last store (to my knowledge) to have Phoenix Wright in stock earlier in the year, they were the only store in town selling PSPs at retail price last March when I bought one for my girlfriend, and they were the only store not sold out of Shadow of the Colossus on release day. Great store.

For a bit of amusement, try to get to the EB in Westside Pavilion (Pico at Overland). It's the first EB in California, and the most profitable (or so I hear). I can tell you firsthand it's the pushiest EB I've ever been to. Stop in and hang around to see the snakeoil clerks push disc insurance and magazine subscriptions on everyone who even approaches the counter and manipulate unsuspecting 10 year olds in an effort to get them to spend their allowances on useless margin-boosting crap. While you're there, go down to the other side of the mall and check out Power Anime, which is mostly manga and action figures, but carries a small number of import games.

superfly

When did ACME close? That was a dope store (although a rip off), but the guys there had much love for games and the pre-E3 launch party last year with the suicide girls was ill

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
acme gallery had something to do with videogames? i've driven by it a million times, and assumed it was...a gallery.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Acme closed a month or two ago, because they were busted by the feds for selling modded Xboxes packed with ROMs on the HD. The owners and the guy doing the modding were all hit with fines of $20,000 per ROM per system, and an acquaintence who knows them said the total came to $27 million each. They're looking at 18 years in federal prison if they get handed the maximum sentence. Apparently (and this may be apocryphal) they were also slanging dope out of the back of the store, and the feds found it during the raid, but the head agent tossed it back to them with a comment along the lines of "Keep it, you're fucked enough as it is."

There was actually a benefit concert for them a couple weeks ago to raise money to pay their fines, but I didn't bother going because I fully support the prosecution of pirates. Damn shame about the store closing, but I can't say I have any sympathy for them. They'd already pissed Microsoft off by selling Halo 2 several days early, and pushing modded Xboxes...well, that's a special kind of dumb.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Jumpman Jr. said:
ACME Gallery/Anvil, the oversized vg boutique on Melrose closed, too. Shame, it was a cool space.

They closed in like January because the owner was doing xbox mods and got caught / sentenced.

d

edit: beaten.

Vibri

Banned
There's a Japanese food mall on Venice and er... something, that also has a bookstore that sells a HUGE selection of second hand Japanese games, from NES to PS2. A lot of them go for super cheap - I picked up a mint Internal Section there for like $5.

Argyle

Vibri said:
There's a Japanese food mall on Venice and er... something, that also has a bookstore that sells a HUGE selection of second hand Japanese games, from NES to PS2. A lot of them go for super cheap - I picked up a mint Internal Section there for like $5.

Goddamn it, don't let the secret out! I was gonna keep this to myself. :)

But now that you mention it, it's the bookstore at the Mitsuwa at Venice and Centinela. It's great if you're trying to collect all the PS1 launch titles, you can get old PS1 games for like $5 :)

drohne said:
check out hyper game in west la --they stock the usual new imports, but i mainly go here for the used imports -- they have a pretty good selection of games dating back to ps1, they're always in good condition, and sometimes you find really good deals. not terribly far from downtown. they've got a website at www.hypergameaction.com

I live 2 blocks from there! You should go to Hurry Curry for lunch right around the corner haha.

I love hyper game, lots of times if they dont' have what I want they'll order it for me. I think I'm single handedly responsible for them getting copies of DJ max Portable because I was sad they didn't have it haha.

Teddman

Argyle said:
To be honest, I thought Cosmo Games was ass, I used to work nearby and go into Westwood for lunch, and everything there seemed overpriced, old, or worse, both...
Well, there were "two" Cosmo's in Westwood. The one that was seemingly run by teenage punks, and then the one when it got sold to a new owner and became half a game store, half an anime/toy store, run mostly by asian staffers.

The earlier crowd could be rude as Hell, but I got to be familiar with them and actually got a lot of good Saturn imports for decent prices there. You had to ask though, they kept them under the counter in a drawer. I remember scoring a new copy of Silhouette Mirage for like $30 in particular.

The new owners were even better, extremely friendly and knowledgeable about import games. Too bad they only ran the place for a year or two before EB Games opened nearby and ran them out of business.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
flarkminator said:
I live 2 blocks from there! You should go to Hurry Curry for lunch right around the corner haha.

I love hyper game, lots of times if they dont' have what I want they'll order it for me. I think I'm single handedly responsible for them getting copies of DJ max Portable because I was sad they didn't have it haha.

oh crap. Hurry Curry is amazing. How spicy? So spicy!

hypergame is great. they even have little stamp cards for discounts.

xir said:
oh crap. Hurry Curry is amazing. How spicy? So spicy!

hypergame is great. they even have little stamp cards for discounts.

Heh, yeah I go to Hurry Curry every saturday, its definetly the best japanese curry around. Saturday is when the hot waitress used to work hehe.

Curry House (accross the street) is good if you have people with you who don't actually like curry because they can get something else, otherwise Hurry Curry is the best ever.

Also just down the street on Olympic is the best Raman place for miles. Ramenya, be forwared they are closed on wensdays though.

Oh and if you like boba there are two place right there too, Volcano Tea, and Circles...

sorry about the side track! Hypergame rocks...

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
flarkminator said:
Heh, yeah I go to Hurry Curry every saturday, its definetly the best japanese curry around. Saturday is when the hot waitress used to work hehe.

Curry House (accross the street) is good if you have people with you who don't actually like curry because they can get something else, otherwise Hurry Curry is the best ever.

Also just down the street on Olympic is the best Raman place for miles. Ramenya, be forwared they are closed on wensdays though.

Oh and if you like boba there are two place right there too, Volcano Tea, and Circles...

sorry about the side track! Hypergame rocks...

well I work near Hurry Curry, but I live in Korea Town which might possibly be the boba capital of the world. Someneeds to make a Boba Fett Boba Drink

MattKeil said:
Acme closed a month or two ago, because they were busted by the feds for selling modded Xboxes packed with ROMs on the HD. The owners and the guy doing the modding were all hit with fines of $20,000 per ROM per system, and an acquaintence who knows them said the total came to $27 million each. They're looking at 18 years in federal prison if they get handed the maximum sentence. Apparently (and this may be apocryphal) they were also slanging dope out of the back of the store, and the feds found it during the raid, but the head agent tossed it back to them with a comment along the lines of "Keep it, you're fucked enough as it is."

There was actually a benefit concert for them a couple weeks ago to raise money to pay their fines, but I didn't bother going because I fully support the prosecution of pirates. Damn shame about the store closing, but I can't say I have any sympathy for them. They'd already pissed Microsoft off by selling Halo 2 several days early, and pushing modded Xboxes...well, that's a special kind of dumb.

Dude, let's hang out. You have good stories.

Argyle

flarkminator said:

Also try Chabuya which opened up on Sawtelle a block or two north of Olympic (it's in the same strip mall as Mizu 212, Sushi Tenn, and Lollicup, if that helps) - a different style of ramen entirely, as I don't recall Ramen-ya serving tonkotsu-style broth...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Argyle said:
Also try Chabuya which opened up on Sawtelle a block or two north of Olympic (it's in the same strip mall as Mizu 212, Sushi Tenn, and Lollicup, if that helps) - a different style of ramen entirely, as I don't recall Ramen-ya serving tonkotsu-style broth...

Chabuya is fantastic. Closest thing to the mind-blowing ramen we always get in Shibuya during TGS week that I've found in the US. Added bonus: They're open until midnight most days. Make sure to add a "flavor boiled egg" to your order.

dyls

MattKeil said:

As long as Hot Wings Cafe is still across the street I'm happy. Although I usually go to the Glendale one.

Back on topic, it looks like Fry's is starting to push more import games. The Burbank one has slowly been amassing DS titles- the first were crappy mahjong games, but now they're carrying JSS so hopefully this will continue.

polg

HAY GUYZ, thanks for all the awesome answers (I was not expecting more than 10 answers!)

I've discovered that Google Earth can be useful beyond any voyeuristic activities!

Game Stores close to the hotel I'm staying
115188993_28570fd80e_o.jpg

Close to Hyper Games
115188992_ed067f853a_o.jpg

In Santa Monica
115188994_d2e1cfad6e_o.jpg

I'm really curious about Uaariysup Ratana o_O

And does anybody know what "Fighters Corner" is?

If you go to HGA be expected to pay premium prices for most imports there. We're talking $80 per game. Ouch! For the price of two games at HGA, you could order three online at stores like NCSX or Play-Asia.

btw, HGA = Hyper Game Action

The reason why is they buy their stock from Japan Video Games in San Gabriel Valley. That's the reason for the additional mark-up.

Wow, small world. I'll be staying at the Ramada Inn as well. Though that might change soon depending on some last minute changes to my travel arrangements.

polg

NintendoGal said:
Wow, small world. I'll be staying at the Ramada Inn as well. Though that might change soon depending on some last minute changes to my travel arrangements.

I knew that because vooks is staying there as well ;)

Mr_Furious said:
If you go to HGA be expected to pay premium prices for most imports there. We're talking $80 per game. Ouch! For the price of two games at HGA, you could order three online at stores like NCSX or Play-Asia.

btw, HGA = Hyper Game Action

The reason why is they buy their stock from Japan Video Games in San Gabriel Valley. That's the reason for the additional mark-up.

I just bought my DS lite and ouendan there today (Japan Video Games). 300 bucks, but picked it up in store at least and didn't have to wait for shipping.

drohne said:

gamedude is cool too -- tons of used games for every console imaginable.

I was just going to suggest this spot

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
I live right around the corner from Hyper Game. It's at Olympic and Sawtelle in West LA. It's a decent import store as it gets most software within a day or two of release in Japan. However, they still haven't scored any DS Lites so you can use that as a barometer of how connected they are.

Argyle said:
Oh yeah, there's Japan Video Games in the San Gabriel Valley, that place is actually really good for getting imports in a timely fashion, and the prices are OK (not exorbitant, but they also rarely discount anything, so don't go there looking for bargains on old games)...
Stopped by this afternoon.

The store had all kinds of wacky imports including controllers and toys in addition to games (FFXII - $90). It's not easy on your pocket book, but it's good for instant gratification.

polg

bump

giving this thread another chance, closer to E3.

I'm seriously considering going to I am 8 bit

some of the places that google earth was displaying, are not appearing anymore :| (like the game stores close to my hotel). So use the pics as a vague reference.

Top Bottom