• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Tennis 4 Details (PS3 exclusive content, Bowlingtennis O_o)

Jas

Square Triangle said:
Toy's R' Us has a pre-order price of $32.49 Might bite, didn't care for Top Spin's difficulty.

Amazon in the US is selling it for the same price as well now. I was going to stay away since the Move implementation sounds disappointing but at this price I'm probably going to get it now.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
lorddct said:
Any word if this will support 4 move controllers in a regular game and not mini games?

It supports up to 4 DualShock3 players in Exhibition and Party Games.
It supports up to 2 Move players in Exhibition and Party Games. (I can understand 2p limit in Exhibition because of the first person camera requiring splitscreen, but not in Party games since players take turns.)

H_Prestige said:
I also like how smooth the visuals in VT3 are. Full 1080p and 60fps. Is VT4 like that?

Yep. 1080p/60fps
Top Spin 4 is 720/60fps but looks much better overall.

JWong said:
TTP made his video yet?

TTP are you there?

TTP!!!

Working on it :D
Should be up early next week and will cover both VT4 and TS4.

kunonabi

I picked up the Wii version since it was so cheap. I'm still irritated by the motion control debacle but I'll run it by everyone and see if they like it enough to make it a regular for our get togethers. The intro is certainly something else though.

So on the wii you play NES style?

No CC or GC controller support?

Why do companies make idiotic decisions like this?

I;ve been wanting a good tennis game since Tennis 2k2 BUT EVERY TIME THEY FUCK SOMETHING UP*!

*On wii or ps2, I head the original top spin was good, but didnt own an xbox.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
OK, I got my PS3 version today--am I missing something, or are you not able to play Career Mode with the Move controller?

On the main menu if I click "Motion Play" I get two options: Exhibition and Party.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Plinko said:
OK, I got my PS3 version today--am I missing something, or are you not able to play Career Mode with the Move controller?

On the main menu if I click "Motion Play" I get two options: Exhibition and Party.
Welcome to three months ago.

It is also discussed in this thread, in every preview, and noted on the back of the box.

Anybody who is thinking of buying this for motion controls DON'T BOTHER.

Game is otherwise great. :p

DoubleTap

Plinko said:

you must've missed the reviews posted on this thread. those are the only modes for move.

kunonabi

Yeah GST will somehow go down as the only tennis game to get things remotely right this gen. I'm still picking up VT4 because I really want a new new tennis game and from the few reports on the Wii version that I can find the motion controls work really well in the few places you can use them. I mean if you're going to force people to use a regular controller at least allow people to use classic controllers. I mean I don't mind the sideways remote since my hands are small but it won't go over well with the rest of my friends.

Let us know how the move controls work since I've been hearing conflicting reports on them.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
kunonabi said:
Let us know how the move controls work since I've been hearing conflicting reports on them.

After playing this game a while, I don't think I would have even used the Move controls. I find them to be horrendous. There are times where I mistime a forward swing and, on the swing backwards (away from the net), the ball somehow gets launched back toward the net. It's terrible.

That said, the regular controls are fine. I complained to Amazon about their website listing the game as "Fully compatible with the Move controller" when you can't use it in the career mode and they refunded 30% of my purchase price. I love Amazon.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yep. 1080p/60fps
Top Spin 4 is 720/60fps but looks much better overall.
You sure VT4 is 1080p? At the very least, the interface was designed for 720p. The game outputs 1080p, but the visuals do not appear to have the sharpness of 1080p.

I don't think Top Spin 4 looks anywhere NEAR as good, though. The animation and framerate both felt terribly janky to me. Unless the full game is significantly better than the demo, of course.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dark10x said:
You sure VT4 is 1080p? At the very least, the interface was designed for 720p. The game outputs 1080p, but the visuals do not appear to have the sharpness of 1080p.

I don't think Top Spin 4 looks anywhere NEAR as good, though. The animation and framerate both felt terribly janky to me. Unless the full game is significantly better than the demo, of course.

Ah it might be just outputting at 1080p. I'm not sure if it's native.

Top Spin 4 does still look much better to me. It's perfectly smooth, the character models are more complex and better animated and the overall visual fidelity is superior.

So is this thread as good as it gets in regards to a proper OT? I'm interested in the 360 version, has anyone here picked it up? If so, your thoughts?

RS4-

Reluctant-Hero said:
So is this thread as good as it gets in regards to a proper OT? I'm interested in the 360 version, has anyone here picked it up? If so, your thoughts?

From me on previous page:

I really like VT4 over TS4. The latter had endless loading screens but I did like the shot mechanic in regards to timing things.

Played VT tour and right away your pro hits harder and moves faster than the TS career counterpart. Perfect serves with your pro in VT already hit 170? 190 kph or something lol. Only did two mini games (raising wall panels and the egg one) as well. I've yet to see the annoying roll/dive animation that was in the previous games.

I think it looks better than TS as well. But yeah, this is 20 mins or so of gameplay whereas I spent a few hours with TS. Haven't dived into the finer things just yet.

Haven't tried it with kinect either.

I can't remember if you get a difficulty prompt when you start career or if it was after you log in your account.

I still haven't tried kinect mode but I'm sure it's as bad as the videos and other people make it out to be. I spent a bit more time with the game since the last post, I believe I'm halfway through season 2 in career. There are special events where you face real pros (and if you beat them, you can buy their outfit/kit in the shops). Some matches require you to "dress up" meaning you buy and equip certain gimmicks like funky shaped rackets (which don't affect your hitting) glasses, shoes, etc.

Some of the super shot stuff, they all build differently depending on what you pick but I don't think it affects the actual shot when you use it. I'm not 100% sure if they build differently either, so the netplay skill vs the baseline ones might rise at the same rate provided that you actually do it properly.

Dive/roll shots aren't as automatic (or happen as often) compared to the previous games; you have to be in a desperate situation for it to initiate.

I think there are more unforced errors too. So yeah, I haven't touched any mode but career.

Akkad

Banned
I'm having fun with the game (PS3 version), it feels like classic VT to me. Haven't used move yet, and I'm waiting to play online obviously.

Dawkins

I really can't understand the reviews saying that the gameplay hasn't evolved the last ten years and that it's only very basic.

Did these people actually play the game for more than two hours? I still discover new shot type variations after having played the game for several days now.

Especially compared to VT 3 to me the gameplay feels very different and that it's very complex. It's astonishing how your shot varies depending on how you approach the ball. Didn't feel the last games had the same complexity. Felt it much easier in VT 3 to charge your shot and the positioning wasn't as important for the outcome of your shot as in VT 4.

Just picked this up. I'm having fun with it. The rally gets pretty intense and I love the mini games. Am also enjoying the slick menu presentation, it's just very clean and simple.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
carvasd said:
TTP, is the video coming up soon ? =D

Your video will determine which
USED
game I will buy ; )

Now you can determine that :D

VT4vsTS4.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-m_hZCN2H8

Sorry for the delay! Have been busy making up rumors.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
beast786 said:
@TTP: Can you please advice which one Top Spin or VT. How about 3D with move?

Thanks

Can't try 3D without a 3D TV :/

As for which one to get, It's hard for me to tell which one is better overall as I mostly played them with the Move for the purpose of my analysis.

If you are looking for a Move tennis game, and don't care about traditional controls, I'd go with neither honestly.

VT4 Move implementation is better in that it tries to replicate your real life movements, but it's limited to the quite scarce content you find in the Motion Play section of the game. And it's not challenging at all. Edit - Gotta say tho that casuals/kids/people-with-no-clue-about-how-to-hold-a-racket might dig it more compared to Sports Champions because of how easy it is to play due to the huge assist in place. For instance, my kids couldn't keep the ball on the table in Table Tennis, but they can win in VT4. So if you are looking for some easy going party filler that's a good choice.

TS4 Move implementation is laughable as you use more buttons than motions (and you aim your shots with the stick), but at least you can play the whole game with the Move, enjoying all of its simulation depth and content. But there is no difference in terms of "experience" between using the Move or a traditional controller.

beast786

TTP said:
Can't try 3D without a 3D TV :/

As for which one to get, It's hard for me to tell which one is better overall as I mostly played them with the Move for the purpose of my analysis.

If you are looking for a Move tennis game, and don't care about traditional controls, I'd go with neither honestly.

VT4 Move implementation is better in that it tries to replicate your real life movements, but it's limited to the quite scarce content you find in the Motion Play section of the game. And it's not challenging at all.

TS4 Move implementation is laughable as you use more buttons than motions (and you aim your shots with the stick), but at least you can play the whole game with the Move, enjoying all of its simulation depth and content. But there is no difference in terms of "experience" between using the Move or a traditional controller.

Thank you so much. Was really looking forward for move support as my life loves Tennis.

I also loved the video.

I guess I will wait. :(

jlevel13

Thanks for the videos TTP - hilarious stuff, especially the autoplay sections and comparision videos with sports champions table tennis. So sad....

EekTheKat

On a Sony hx909 there's fairly heavy crosstalk in 3d on the default camera angle and the wide follow cam. The zoomed in follow cam is clean though.

I didnt see any depth/parallax/convergence 3d adjustments in game, only a do you want to start in 3d mode on boot up. IMHO it's kind of disappointing and I spent the majority of the game in 2d mode.

As for the gameplay, it's a lot more forgiving than top spin 4. In top spin you can fairly easily force your opponent into an error - deep shots that land near th baseline often will force your opponent to hit it out of bounds if they're not in position.

but in vt the same shot would result in a slow lob return that more than often still lands inbounds, resulting in you having to win the point more than the other person losing the point.

There is noticeably more assist in vt4, and thanks to the super meter you can occasionally pull off impossible shots, like a diving forehand.

Shnookums

Is there much of an online scene on 360 for this game?

VT3 had a nice community on the 360 with a lot of regular players and I miss it :(

T-0800

Just played the Move demo for VT4 and the controls seem ok. First impressions were that it was like Wii Sports Tennis in that shot direction is dictated by swinging late or early depending on whether you want to go up the line or cross court but this doesn't appear to be the case. I'm able to direct the ball no matter when I swing. I have no idea how serving works though.

Anyone put some time into the Move controls and like them? Can I impart spin and slice?

iFootball

I tried the demo yesterday and the move controls are awful... really.... little sense of direction or control over the ball, and a lot of random shots...

I verified everything shared by TTP on his video review... it's very disappointing from Sega how poorly this was implemented

JWong

Banned
Is there no OT?

Anyways, played it... was disappointing. I still try to swing like real tennis, but I'm just faking it really.

The menu issue is just absolutely terrible.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I rented this from Gamefly, and so I don't have a manual.

What are the different buttons in this game? I haven't played Virtua Tennis since pt 2 on the dreamcast.

I believe A is normal hit, Y is volley. What do X and B do?

leng jai

Anybody pick this up on PC? I just bought it and it won't even work on my Windows 7 64bit rig...says that the configuration file is corrupt or missing.

kunonabi

I don't know about the kinect or move controls but the wiimote+ controls are spot on. slicing, adding spin, and aiming the ball all feel right. You also have to match the height of the racket with the height of the ball unlike GST. The only problem is you can't hit the ball out or make any sort of error. It leads to longer rallies but it sort of ruins the strategy because you basically have to hit an extreme winner in order to actually score a point. So close to getting it right.

Top Bottom