• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtue's Last Reward SPOILER Thread

Vibed

But if Rad-6 spikes [Call it --perception) still engineers the chipmunk affect on Rad-6-delivery speech (Security Room), then it's not the vocal muscles that are of any problem, it's the perception, right?

That is correct. So it's an inconsistency...

I have a
half assed
solution! Maybe at 6 times slower, the part of the brain that recognizes sound can still perceive pitch correctly, but go any further and it can't keep up.

Wait, is this Ever17 game going to connect to Zero Escape somehow? I really don't wanna have to play another game to understand this.

And what is this about Seven and Clover?

Ever 17 is another game by Uchikoshi with some supposedly similar twists. It is part of the Infinity series along with Remember 11 and Never 7 (both by him as well) that all take place in the same universe, but are separate stories.

I don't know about whatever SevenxClover, sounds weird...

I get what saint is saying. Here's the thing with your explanation, even if you perceive a sound at an slower speed than usual, the sound being slowed down wouldn't lower it's pitch, because in all cases you're perceiving the sound at speaking pitch. You can't "slow down" a pitch being spoken, because you're simply slowing the muscles speaking and not the frequency.

All this would be different if it was a audio playback like you were referencing. Audio played back slowly will lower the hertz cycles.

Thank you! I'm glad someone gets what I'm saying. The pitch of everyone's voice should sound higher if your brain is processing it at slower speeds. That's all I'm trying to say.

But they're delivering it at lower speeds (which lowers the tone), so it evens out.

No, they may be talking slower, but the TONE of their voice would not be lower. That would require a re-structuring of vocal chords and various muscles. So it would sound the normal speed, but high pitched if infected with Radical-6

Vibed

So slowing down a thing only lowers the tone/pitch in audio recordings but not vocal delivery?

Yeah. Let's say you tried singing at your lowest possible tone. Could that really push yourself to get lower? I mean, if you didn't the sound would come out higher to someone with a slowed down brain.

Exactly. Imagine if your brain were slowed down. You'd talk slower....like....this...and...probably...mumbled....but....would...it....sound....like....it...was... octaves...lower....than....normal?

Not trying to down-talk you, just trying to explain.

Jintor

I was stuck thinking of it like an audio recording because that's pretty much the only format I can imagine actually playing around with speeding-up/slowing-down stuff with, but I see the difference with vocal chords is pretty significant.

Still, in a series that plays Ice-9 and the Morphogenetic field straight, I can deal with a little pitch problems

PK Gaming

tumblr_mdvjniXh3U1rloremo1_500.png

tumblr_mdvjmgdXV01qhcr6v.gif

What do you want, Hongou.

So...

i've been staring at this gif for the better part of today and i can't stop looking at it. its just... so... funny.

Vibed

tumblr_mdvjniXh3U1rloremo1_500.png

So...

i've been staring at this gif for the better part of today and i can't stop looking at it. its just... so... funny.

lol "bigbadace". That avatar coupled with a single word. I imagine he's saying it like a pure statement with a bit of a "reaching out to her" tone.

For me the biggest plot-hole is how the Radical-6 didn't seem to affect their hearing. The whole being on the moon thing accounts for the movement not looking fast, but being on the moon doesn't make your voice slower. Shouldn't they have sounded like they were talking 6 times (or whatever it is) as fast?
I was under the impression that it worked because everyone was infected when everyone is talking 6 times faster , it make no difference for the overall perception i believe.

Wait, is this Ever17 game going to connect to Zero Escape somehow? I really don't wanna have to play another game to understand this.

And what is this about Seven and Clover?

The same character is used in both game for a twist ..however said character is not bound by the rules of said worlds and can move between them. meaning that this is not necessary the same character and the one in ever17. if that's the case, the author will explain it in the third game because it will be needed so don't worry about it

Finished this today. Wow. It was amazing. It didn't give me the "Oh shit oh shit holy crap this is awesome!" adrenaline rush as it all came together like 999 did, though. Considering how the game was spread out and the flow chart mechanic, it was much more of a slow burn and getting a bunch of little highs over the course of the game. Probably the biggest oh shit was Akane being K, because I was wondering where the hell her body was in that timeline.

I waffled on the base's location: initially I thought it was going to be on a moon of Mars. Then I thought it was actually in the Nevada desert and the Nonary game was at the actual facility caught in some kind of time loop and the final result was going to be stopping the Radical-6 outbreak. I was kind of right on both counts.

At some point I guess Tenmyouji was Junpei, but dismissed it, only to have it come back when he pulled out Akane's picture, which once again led me to believe there was some sort of weird time loop going on in regards to this particular Nonary game.

I also early on wondered why you never saw Sigma's face, considering Junpei was shown prominently during 999. Even during the wide 3D shots of the group, it was always 8 and no Sigma, so I was suspicious that Sigma wasn't really Sigma from the beginning. Didn't get the "he's old and Zero" part because by the time I found out the old woman was Akane, I thought Zero was Santa. Again. Glad it wasn't exactly that.

Two things I have a question about, one trivial and one not: First, the timeline where K goes "Wheeeeee!!!" on the Zero III mechanical toy riding thing in the rec room? That's Kyle, not Akane, right? That scene was hilarious to me since K was so stoic the rest of the game, but it fits right in with K's personality once you realize who he is.

Second, the recording you hear in one of the endings that references the Mars mission: that's Phi's voice, right? When she says "6 people died, but I've killed 6 billion?" It sounded a lot like Phi to me, so that also led me to believe that this was the Mars test mission and one of the bad endings was going to be releasing Radical-6 and you'd hear Phi send out that message at the end. What timeline was that in again (so many different branches I started losing track of what happened when)?

Overall, I loved it and I definitely have to play this again from the beginning. All the subtle jokes about Sigma's appearance will have a whole new light, along with hoping to spot the difference between Kyle-K and Akane-K. Need to read all the gold files, too, was intentionally saving them until after I beat it.

Phi's my favorite, followed closely by Sigma and K. Luna's ending was heartwrenching and I think the best ending out of them all. I wish Dio wasn't the obvious asshole villain from the beginning (I was secretly hoping he was being honest and Quark was actually the villain for a while) but how everything plays out regarding him and the bombs is well-done.

Phi's my favorite, followed closely by Sigma and K. Luna's ending was heartwrenching and I think the best ending out of them all. I wish Dio wasn't the obvious asshole villain from the beginning (I was secretly hoping he was being honest and Quark was actually the villain for a while) but how everything plays out regarding him and the bombs is well-done.

I pretty much agree with everything here, except for Quark being a villain (although one of his poses does make him look rather sinister... >.>)

And Luna is tied with Phi for favorite. Just because she's so damn adorable!

Dio... I really hoped he was as awesome as his voice. I mean, he was awesome, but he was an asshole... I still keep him as my Avatar though, cause I have hope hell have his moment of awesome in ZE3.

GSR

Second, the recording you hear in one of the endings that references the Mars mission: that's Phi's voice, right? When she says "6 people died, but I've killed 6 billion?" It sounded a lot like Phi to me, so that also led me to believe that this was the Mars test mission and one of the bad endings was going to be releasing Radical-6 and you'd hear Phi send out that message at the end. What timeline was that in again (so many different branches I started losing track of what happened when)?

That's in Tenmyouji's timeline, after (I believe) the second CD puzzle room. And the voice isn't Phi; it's the woman Luna was based on (same voice actress, and Uchikoshi's confirmed as much I believe).

Javier

You know, hardly anyone mentions this, but I'd say one of the creepiest moments of the game was the Newscaster committing suicide. It kinda caught me off guard.

That's in Tenmyouji's timeline, after (I believe) the second CD puzzle room. And the voice isn't Phi; it's the woman Luna was based on (same voice actress, and Uchikoshi's confirmed as much I believe).

That's weird, then, because that really throws the math off. I was going to guess the woman Luna was based off of was killed in one of the traps and how Sigma lost his arms and eye, trying to save her. Sigma and Phi both have to be at the site, and I swore at some point Tenmyouji said he was there as well. But then if it's Luna Prime's voice, that means there are 4 people who are alive for the moon Nonary Game (although Luna Prime isn't there, just Luna).

My guess is the next game is going to have 8 new people + Luna Prime, and Sigma, Phi, and Tenmyouji (along with Kyle as it's implied he's going to be important as well) are going to be ancillary characters that start helping the main cast of 9. I'd guess the villain participant in 3 is going to be Brother, but we'll see.

PKrockin

Ever 17? More like Mind Blown: Smithereens.

Seriously, the true end might just beat out 999 and VLR for me. I'm going to wait on that decision until my brain can construct rational thoughts again, but... that was incredible.

Ever 17? More like Mind Blown: Smithereens.

Seriously, the true end might just beat out 999 and VLR for me. I'm going to wait on that decision until my brain can construct rational thoughts again, but... that was incredible.

I agree completely.
In terms of narrative and as experience, VLR and 999 are WAAAAY better, since Ever17 is damn boring for the first half of any route.
But... DAT ENDING!!!!
Ever17 blows your mind like no game EVER.

PKrockin

You know, hardly anyone mentions this, but I'd say one of the creepiest moments of the game was the Newscaster committing suicide. It kinda caught me off guard.
I knew I was being sent back to the time of the Radical-6 outbreak so I was expecting it, but yeah, it was still creepy. I still love that scene for the one-two punch of young Akane showing up, and then looking out the window to the mushroom cloud. Wow.

I agree completely.
In terms of narrative and as experience, VLR and 999 are WAAAAY better, since Ever17 is damn boring for the first half of any route.
But... DAT ENDING!!!!
Yeah, exactly. Most of the routes are a slog at times. Art and soundtrack goes to 999 and VLR too. But Coco's route... SO WORTH IT. Several times I was just staring at the screen in shock for a good 10 seconds. It's a good thing I had the day off from work because I spent about 7-8 hours with my ass glued to the chair and eyes glued to the screen. And then the rest of the day thinking about it.

Mmh... just have a question. IIRC, Sigma begin the nonary game with his old corpse ? Isn't that kinda... weird ? I mean, he explained he was a student, being an old guy with one eye doesn't really looks like a student...

Jintor

Mmh... just have a question. IIRC, Sigma begin the nonary game with his old corpse ? Isn't that kinda... weird ? I mean, he explained he was a student, being an old guy with one eye doesn't really looks like a student...

That's why Phi jibes at him, initially thought he was a Doctor/Professor

I'll just paste one of my previous comments about when you can deduce Sigma is old!

Beginning, Elevator
Phi: Back off, Grandpa!

Infirmary, after AB round 1 with Alice
Sigma: [...] I was on my way home from school [...]
Alice: Are you some kind of doctor?
Sigma: Huh? No, I'm still working on my degree. I'm shooting for a PhD, but I'm not quite there yet.
Alice: I guess you've been working on that for quite a while, huh?
Sigma: Yeah, I guess I have.

Quark Ending, when trying to stop Dio from escaping
Dio: Let me go, you senile old fuck!

Pantry, when searching for Quark in Luna's path
Sigma: I can't believe you're only two years younger than me...
Phi: Ha! Now that's funny. You must have done a lot of drugs to look like that a twenty-two.

It was brutal, indeed! I actually loved the eeriness of that scene! It really makes me wish that there were anime-type cutscenes in this game! Hopefully we'll see some in ZE3! (Seriously, other than hearing Junpei's voice, that's my #1 wish for ZE3)

I'll just paste one of my previous comments about when you can deduce Sigma is old!

Yep, it seems so.
Damn, that sounds so weeeeeeird.

EDIT: Sounds even weirder when you think about Sigma asking for swimsuits :eek:
Also, I did remember some parts where Sigma is refered as a young man. I should replay the game.
EDIT2: Also, how could Sigma didnt noticed his right eye was missing ?

About the right eye... Well... I donno! :(
But as for the young man, it's in the Quark ending, when he thinks he's the only young man in the room, since Dio is gone! But he doesn't say it out loud!

EDIT: Sounds even weirder when you think about Sigma asking for swimsuits :eek:
Also, I did remember some parts where Sigma is refered as a young man. I should replay the game.

I think the only part that really stands out to me as weird is the puzzle room (I think it's the treatment center) where it's Sigma, Clover, and Quark who is out cold, and Clover agrees to going on a date with Sigma after this is all over. Either Clover has a thing for older guys, or she thought he was being playful and not pervy for once.

The other thing that really gets me is that I was internally complaining that for every "bad" ending where someone opens the 9 door, they easily escape and nimbly get away from anyone trying to stop them. On the other hand, every "bad" ending where Sigma gets 9 he is easily overpowered and not allowed to escape. I kept thinking to myself "Sigma is one of the strongest guys in there, why does he always suck at escaping?" Well his age kind of explains it.

CronoShot

So I finished the game today. Or at least I think I did. The final ending is with with Akane talking to "Kyle", right?

I actually suspected the old woman was Akane when they first showed her, but it was a bit mindblowing that Tenmyouji was Junpei. It's odd how they barely focus on that. Game: BTW that guy's Junpei lol. Me: WTF. There doesn't really seem to be any reason for him to be there at all, other than "hey remember this guy!" fanservice.

I found it a bit strange that Sigma was actually old this whole time. I mean, in a place full of metal and glass, you'd think he'd catch his reflection fairly easily. Or hell, just feel his face.

Anyway, my eyes started to glaze over while doing Phi's ending and onward to the final part. All this timeline skipping, point A to D to C I have no fucking idea what really happened. I guess the gist of it is that in the original timeline, Sigma and Akane planned the AB game to change the past to stop Radical 6, but the first time Sigma and Phi went back they failed, so now they're trying again, or something? And the whole thing with Kyle flew over my head too. Is Kyle the one going back this time instead of Sigma? Is Sigma in Kyle's body now?

I'm so confuzzled.

Also, Luna's ending? Quite possibly the most emotional moment I've ever seen in a game. Laura Bailey did a stellar job.

Jintor

So I finished the game today. Or at least I think I did. The final ending is with with Akane talking to "Kyle", right?

I actually suspected the old woman was Akane when they first showed her, but it was a bit mindblowing that Tenmyouji was Junpei. It's odd how they barely focus on that. Game: BTW that guy's Junpei lol. Me: WTF. There doesn't really seem to be any reason for him to be there at all, other than "hey remember this guy!" fanservice.

He's probably the second most powerful non X-factor esper on the planet, so he and Clover (who is the furtherest-reaching esper iirc) were needed to be there to power up Phi and Sigma.

Vibed

Anyway, my eyes started to glaze over while doing Phi's ending and onward to the final part. All this timeline skipping, point A to D to C I have no fucking idea what really happened. I guess the gist of it is that in the original timeline, Sigma and Akane planned the AB game to change the past to stop Radical 6, but the first time Sigma and Phi went back they failed, so now they're trying again, or something? And the whole thing with Kyle flew over my head too. Is Kyle the one going back this time instead of Sigma? Is Sigma in Kyle's body now?

I'm so confuzzled.

Yeah, I think it goes like this:

1.Young Sigma gets captured, he is replaced by Old Sigma on Christmas Day. YS goes into the future.
2. After YS plays the AB Game in 2074, he goes back to a few months after he was captured after the occurrence at the Mars Test Site. OS is ejected from YS's body in the past.
3. YS lives his life turning into OS over the course of 40 years up until the AB Game. YS jumps in to play the AB Game.
4. OS jumps back to the Test site, fails, and several months later when he's ejected by YS goes back to after the AB Game in the future. In order to create the reality VLR takes place in, it has to be some infinite loop of him failing that's broken in an alternate timeline that E branches off to where Sigma succeeds in stopping Radical-6. Thus, the YS you play as is the one that will break that loop because of the little bit of extra knowledge he has from OS's existence, advice, inventions, and past failings.

Kyle is the clone of Sigma. He is to travel back to the Mars Test Site into another person's body alongside Old Sigma. In the Epilogue, the person you're playing as is the player in Kyle's body. Kyle, meanwhile, is off to survive the Mars Test Site in the past using the body he borrowed. What doesn't make sense is how exactly the player has a body in game.

androvsky

For a while, I thought old Sigma had his arms replaced so that past Sigma wouldn't realize he wasn't in his young body during the nonary game, so I was a bit surprised when it turned out to be an accident.

milkham

Yeah, I think it goes like this:

1.Young Sigma gets captured, he is replaced by Old Sigma on Christmas Day. YS goes into the future.
4. OS jumps back to the Test site, fails, and several months later when he's ejected by YS goes back to after the AB Game in the future.
2. After YS plays the AB Game in 2074, he goes back to a few months after he was captured after the occurrence at the Mars Test Site. OS is ejected from YS's body in the past.
3. YS lives his life turning into OS over the course of 40 years up until the AB Game. YS jumps in to play the AB Game.
In order to create the reality VLR takes place in, it has to be some infinite loop of him failing that's broken in an alternate timeline that E branches off to where Sigma succeeds in stopping Radical-6. Thus, the YS you play as is the one that will break that loop because of the little bit of extra knowledge he has from OS's existence, advice, inventions, and past failings.

Kyle is the clone of Sigma. He is to travel back to the Mars Test Site into another person's body alongside Old Sigma. In the Epilogue, the person you're playing as is the player in Kyle's body. Kyle, meanwhile, is off to survive the Mars Test Site in the past using the body he borrowed. What doesn't make sense is how exactly the player has a body in game.

i think it's easier to understand if you move 4 up a bit

Spierek

Just finished it, with True Ending. Let me get this out of the way before I continue:

OH SHIT DID YOU SEE WHAT JUST HAPPENED, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK-

That was basically my reaction for the final three hours of the game. The story twisted and turned and blew my mind to smithereens. I think that this game might've surpassed 999 in my eyes, because the story was really well fleshed out. Even though, I managed to deduce some twists before they were pulled out - the entire game taking place in the future (when they were talking about when they've been abducted) or Tenmyouji being Junpei (when he pulled the Akane photo out), but most of the twists were nicely shrouded in the dark until they happened.

At first I was really confused with the True Ending. The part when you get END or BEGINNING from both Akane's had me frantically looking around the flowchart, trying to find the point where you could jump to the past as Sigma and save the world... but then I realized that this is it. A great (though really confusing) cliffhanger allowing for a direct continuation of the series. (but too bad we didn't actually get to know anything about Phi)

I have to say, though - the names of the endings were quite confusing, especially Alice's and Tenmyouji's. As to my favorite one (apart from Phi and True, which are out of the league) - I'd go with Luna's, since it's near perfect. That moment when she literally falls apart in your arms made me go ; _;

Oh, and with that "Five minutes of life left!" lock - I totally thought that Sigma will remember about the antidote injection gun... but getting his arms crushed under the "9" door? DAMN.

EDIT: And I remembered one more thing: during one of the locks (I think it was related to getting one of the bomb/computer passwords), there's a brief flash of the "5" door from 999. I wonder what that was about - Sigma clearly wasn't a participant in the second Nonary Game. The first one, maybe? But that would mean he got the offer from Alice and Clover and knew about the SOIS, so that's probably a no-go.

Reading through the thread, it's been said many times in one way or another:

Just finished the true ending.... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh.
This game is the onion of surprises and shocks. Just keep peeling them away until you end up crying for poor Junpei.

The game has flaws, but on the whole, I loved it.
I'm not sure what it says about me or what I indugle in, but as soon as I saw the newscaster I said "She's going to kill herself in a minute".

I think the only part that really stands out to me as weird is the puzzle room (I think it's the treatment center) where it's Sigma, Clover, and Quark who is out cold, and Clover agrees to going on a date with Sigma after this is all over. Either Clover has a thing for older guys, or she thought he was being playful and not pervy for once.

The other thing that really gets me is that I was internally complaining that for every "bad" ending where someone opens the 9 door, they easily escape and nimbly get away from anyone trying to stop them. On the other hand, every "bad" ending where Sigma gets 9 he is easily overpowered and not allowed to escape. I kept thinking to myself "Sigma is one of the strongest guys in there, why does he always suck at escaping?" Well his age kind of explains it.

Well in those Ending, I remember K, Dio and Tenmyouji sizing Sigma. Even if he was as strong as Seven, he would have some troubles.
Also, in one part in the lounge, Alice is talking about her body and refers to Sigma as "boy".

EDIT: And I remembered one more thing: during one of the locks (I think it was related to getting one of the bomb/computer passwords), there's a brief flash of the "5" door from 999. I wonder what that was about - Sigma clearly wasn't a participant in the second Nonary Game. The first one, maybe? But that would mean he got the offer from Alice and Clover and knew about the SOIS, so that's probably a no-go.

Woah wait... really?!? I don't remember that. I remember there being a vision of the SUV driving through the desert though... Maybe those flashes of 999 stuff is just meant for us, the player? Goddammit now I'm both confused and intrigued!

Midou

Yes. I literally stood up out of my seat when that shit happened. I try to tell people all the time, when they speak of crazy or complex stories, but when they say 'spoil it for me' when I tell them it does it best, I can't, it doesn't make sense. It literally takes the process of playing the whole thing for it to make sense.

PKrockin

Yes. I literally stood up out of my seat when that shit happened. I try to tell people all the time, when they speak of crazy or complex stories, but when they say 'spoil it for me' when I tell them it does it best, I can't, it doesn't make sense. It literally takes the process of playing the whole thing for it to make sense.

Exactly. I was texting a friend screencaps of VLR with commentary as I played, but I couldn't do it with Ever 17. It just does not work.

Grrrr i really need to play this! Anyone know where I can get it? I'm dying here! >.<

Javier

It's impossible to explain Ever17 to anyone. You have to go out of your way to get everything spoiled for you in that game. And even if someone told you everything important that happens in it, you'd probably think that guy is nuts.

PKrockin

Grrrr i really need to play this! Anyone know where I can get it? I'm dying here! >.<

The English version? Good luck finding it legally. The genre, developer, and series are completely unknown in the west, especially back in 2005, so no doubt hardly any copies were shipped. The developer is bankrupt, and I've heard that nobody actually owns the license for it right now. Ever 17 is probably the rarest/most expensive game I've ever looked for.

The English version? Good luck finding it legally. The genre, developer, and series are completely unknown in the west, especially back in 2005, so no doubt hardly any copies were shipped. The developer is bankrupt, and I've heard that nobody actually owns the license for it right now. Ever 17 is probably the rarest/most expensive game I've ever looked for.

Yeah.. I heard about that. :/ Oh well,.....

I just finished the game and realized I posted my thoughts in a basically dead thread. Cross-post!

ScraftyDevil said:
Here's my entry in the "Trust/Don't Trust" game back in the original discussion thread. YOU ALL LAUGHED AT ME (not), BUT WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?!

The explanation at the end was a little drawn-out, but it gave me time to cram my brains back into my skull after they were blown out. Hot diggedy; that was a delicious twist.

Player!Kyle being voiced by Troy Baker is cool. It's nice to know that he wasn't just used for the OVA.

Past Akane is attractive in both looks and voice. Also, I want her cloak.

So, the third game will focus on the Mars experiment, I presume? I heard it'll involve both Junpei and Tenmyouji, so I don't even know how that's gonna work.

This friggin' game likes sucker punching me with Blue Bird Lamentations when I'm emotionally vulnerable. Not that I mind; it's a really good piece used in some really good places.

I'm glad that Dio wasn't involved in the finale. I'd had about enough of him; and although I love Liam O'Brian's voice, it was starting to grate on me.

Old!Sigma looks like a BAMF. Two mecha-arms and an awesome eyepatch does that to you, I guess. Although I do have to wonder how Sigma never noticed that his voice sounded 45 years older. One would think that it would be pretty apparent considering all the monologuing he does. Ah well; if that's the only noticeable plot hole in the game it's a relatively small deal.

In short:

Electrical engineering: is pretty smart.

General relativity: is pretty friggin' smart.

The True Ending to Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward?

tumblr_mdl5z1mIVg1qjv6clo1_400.gif

tsukixkumori

Neo Member
lol "bigbadace". That avatar coupled with a single word. I imagine he's saying it like a pure statement with a bit of a "reaching out to her" tone.

Lol, I guess I should thank you~ That's my RP account. XD

I did intend it to sound like that, actually. Or maybe like he'd say "Akane." and she'd say "Hongou." and they'd both stare at each other while the tension in the air gets thicker.

Vibed

Lol, I guess I should thank you~ That's my RP account. XD

I did intend it to sound like that, actually. Or maybe like he'd say "Akane." and she'd say "Hongou." and they'd both stare at each other while the tension in the air gets thicker.

Haha, well, you're welcome. I just like how straight faced serious it comes across.

Oh and I see that was your first post. Welcome to NeoGAF, hope you stick around!

Top Bottom