• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visually stunning films

Status
Not open for further replies.

IISANDERII

Even though I can't find great caps, The Rum Diary.
1960's Latin America cannot not be great looking
images

images

ejqpoje.jpg

images
Plus Amber Heard was amazing.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I don't have pictures, but Jesus of Nazareth (the 1970s one with blue-eyed Jesus) looks really good. The worst scenes are usually the ones with the king, which suffer from the 1950s-1970s visual interpretation of kings and their subjects which make it all look like a stupid play. But I really liked the attention given to the backgrounds, the houses, etc. It looked as it probably looked then. Lots of smoke, diffuse lighting, etc. Also the color palette is sort of pastel like and it looks really uniform.

Also, Fight Club. I'm not sure if it's true, but I remembering hearing somewhere that the movie uses no lighting other than that of the environment itself. It felt very real.

yepyepyep

belleetbete1.jpg

Beauty and the Beast ( 1946)

safe.jpg

[Safe]

3.JPG

high-and-low.jpg

High and Low

kwaidan-10c-web.jpg

Kwaiden

tale-of-tales-pic.jpg

Tales of Tales

I almost think modern cinematography is too pretty; as in too slick without grain or texture, which is why I tend to prefer older films. Although there are great cinematographers working today,like Lance Acord, Robert Elswitt and Roger Deakins

I would like to second the mention of Suckerpunch. I know pretty much everyone but me hated that movie, but good lord was it pretty. The amount of just pure MOTION was amazing.

black_13

Banned
Blade Runner on Blu-ray is a fucking spectacle. I still remember watching it and just getting blown away that it was a 20 year old movie. The reshoots and upconverting made it look just like a modern film. I showed it to a friend who hadn't seen it before and he asked me why he hadn't heard it come out in theaters.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Surprised no mention of Jaws:

izUHNjDXp57vQ.jpg

ibu6XBGdRsKfMV.jpg

ibw0crtqsxl8UP.jpg

iGYYkDqYsqGO5.jpg

i3h0MEMe7vWtG.jpg

Ilya Muromets didn't look all that impressive on MST3K thanks to a bad pan and scan print, but I think it's worth mentioning

i36ykAZKytgjo.jpg

ibsYNLeRYmSMN0.jpg

on MST3K it was called The Sword and The Dragon

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Mishima

mishimalifeinfourchapters.jpg

Stalker

stalker-1979.479.343.s.jpg

Last Year at the Marienbad

marienbad.jpg

Play Time

apartments-725281.jpg

Blade Runner

BladeRunnerSS.jpg

Alien (even though I prefer the second film)

Alien+Movie.jpg

Terminator 1 and 2 (notably the future scenes, but there are excellent shots in the present times as well)

glasses1.jpg

3083260458_fe26574838_z.jpg

The Master

joaquin-phoenix-the-master.jpg

Badlands

badlands.jpg

Apocalypse Now

apocalypse_now-mud4.jpg

Street Fighter

500full1.jpg

EDIT: Looked through the topic and I agree also with Gattaca, Ghost in the Shell, and Event Horizon 9even though Event Horizon as a movie was meh imo). Can't believe I forgot FUCKING 2001 SPACE ODYSSEY. Disagree with Prometheus. Certain parts of the film look brilliant, such as David's introduction during the cryo sleep, but the costumes, HUD, radar, 3D mapping, alien control panel, and a bunch of other shit was overdesigned imo.

Yeah, I think you're right.
I saw it at the cinemas with the 3D glasses and was blown away.
I was suprised how much I enjoyed the movie, as I was a little hesitant to go see it initially, as the ads on TV made it look a bit "kiddy" to me.
Great GIFs BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom