• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita Adventure fans take note - Broken Sword 5 Episode 1 releases on NA PSN tonight

Fady K

Price has not been mentioned yet, but at least it is finally coming, many months after the EU release ;D

13929640210_c48fc950cb_z.jpg

Here is the message the series' creator, Charles Cecil, posted on the playstation blog earlier.

Charles Cecil said:
Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse
Revolution has been publishing adventure games on PlayStation platforms since 1996 when Broken Sword — Shadow of the Templars launched for the original PlayStation. After finding success with three Broken Sword games for PlayStation (the second Broken Sword title was voted 5th best PlayStation game ever by Official PlayStation Magazine readers), we’re very pleased to bring our latest game to PS Vita with the backing of our faithful fans who funded development through a highly successful Kickstarter campaign.

Broken Sword 5 — The Serpent’s Curse: Episode One returns the series to its point and click roots in our most ambitious game to date. Playing as intrepid American George Stobbart and sassy French journalist Nico Collard, you’ll find yourself on the trail of a stolen painting — and a murderous conspiracy.

Our new game reunites key members from the original Broken Sword team, with layout artists from studios such as Disney, Aardman, and Universal who have created sumptuous, classically drawn backgrounds. The lavish HD art evolves the art style so loved in the previous Broken Sword games and looks particularly scrumptious on the Vita’s screen. Vita is an ideal device for our style of adventure game — the front and rear touch screen in combination with the analog stick and shoulder buttons give us a great toolset for an intuitive user interface.

Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's CurseBroken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse
As for the story, George and Nico are thrown into an investigation together when a mysterious painting is stolen during an armed raid on a Paris gallery. From Paris to London and beyond, the trail becomes a race against time as dark forces from Europe’s turbulent past are woken from their slumber. Broken Sword characters old and new are encountered — but who can George and Nico trust? The journey they are on reveals a conspiracy as old as the written word, whose ancient heresies will cause innocent blood to spill once more…

We hope this first episode leaves adventure gamers wanting more.

No Sony... you're not getting any more of my money for Vita this month. You've already taken more than your fair share!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
How much will this cost?

Fady K

In my opinion the Vita would make an EXCELLENT platform for adventure games. Here's hoping it is successful and and serves as an example for other developers to bring their adventure games to the Vita.

Goldrusher

how much is this?
Likely similar to the European prices...

regular price
€19.99 for the bundle, €12.99 for episode 1
Plus: €15.99 for the bundle, €11.69 for episode 1

temp discount in February:
€14.99 for the bundle, €8.05 for episode 1
Plus: €13.49 for the bundle, €7.25 for episode 1

The visuals are still incredibly off-putting to me but I'll probably pick this up. I'd love to see more adventure games on Dat Vita.

Tizoc

Only episode 1? Thought ep. 2 was ready for Vita by now @_@
Ah well still getting it regardless. No complaints from EU Vita GAF, so this should be a good port.

eXistor

Cool, the game is quite fun as well, truly an oldskool point and click adventure (unlike Broken Age...). Well, it's not quite as obtuse as oldskool PnC's (you're usually stuck in one location with a few puzzles to solve instead of being able to travel to different locations). Still, good fun.

Gammacide

Should look even more amazing on the gorgeous Vita screen. Really excited about this after the disappointment of the last two BS games. :)

oggob

Still waiting for Episode 2 to drop in PAL territories so I can play it through all at once...

Ep 1 on PSN dropped 2 weeks after the PC release, it's been 2 weeks since Ep 2 dropped on PC so with the US getting it, was hoping that it was a precursor that Ep 2 was out this week also.

When then!!!!

Fady K

Is this a game where you're left in the dust if you haven't played previous games in the series?

Not really AtmoskEater, but I *highly* recommend you play the remastered versions of the first two :D They are out on PC and android/iOS devices.

You can beat both in less than 15 hours tops ;D

Fady K

Is this game native or an upscaled mess? Just wondering if the price is for both episodes.

I hear it is beautiful on the Vita :) The price is only for Episode 1 at the moment. We should hear news about episode 2 in the coming weeks I think.

Fady K

Guess you're part of the problem, no wonder the genre is always shrinking.

For me, personally, despite the smaller screen (when compared to the iPad), the Vita is the perfect "portable" platform for adventure games. Big enough screen, touch controls possible, physical buttons available, just perfect :D

Pikma

Banned
For me, personally, despite the smaller screen (when compared to the iPad), the Vita is the perfect "portable" platform for adventure games. Big enough screen, touch controls possible, physical buttons available, just perfect :D
Yeah Let's be honest, who gives a fuck about the platform, it's an Adventure game! :D that's enough for both of us, isn't?

But seriously, adventure games have existed for decades, and Broken Sword has been on Playstation ever since the original, and I don't remember the original Dualshock having any touchscreen. Can't see how buttons and sticks are "not for adventure games".

Fady K

Yeah Let's be honest, who gives a fuck about the platform, it's an Adventure game! :D that's enough for both of us, isn't?

But seriously, adventure games have existed for decades, and Broken Sword has been on Playstation ever since the original, and I don't remember the original Dualshock having any touchscreen. Can't see how buttons and sticks are "not for adventure games".

I agree bro - the more adventure games, the better. So happy with this rebirth of the genre in recent years. May it never go away. And buttons and sticks can be *perfect* for adventure games. Like you, I don't see a problem at all. The Monkey Island remakes on consoles was excellent with the controller ;D

Curufinwe

I bought it and played the first 5% last night. $17 for one episode seems steep but I had $20 in credit and really wanted something new to play on my Vita.

Fady K

I bought it and played the first 5% last night. $17 for one episode seems steep but I had $20 in credit and really wanted something new to play on my Vita.

How is it running for you by the way?

Also, how does it compare to the first two games?

I find the price a bit steep as well. $20 for both of them is the right price IMO.

Top Bottom