• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vivendi trying to extract over $3 billion from Activision Blizzard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This would take a very healthy chunk of Activision's cash pile.

WSJ said:
PARIS—After a year of setbacks, French conglomerate Vivendi SA is nearing a pair of milestones in its effort to pay down towering debt and refashion itself as a smaller—and more handsomely valued—media company.

At a board meeting Monday, Vivendi is expected to discuss plans aimed at extracting more than $3 billion from its cash-rich Activision Blizzard Inc. videogame subsidiary through a special dividend, according to people familiar with the matter. The Vivendi board may push to have the U.S.-based unit approve the dividend at its own board meeting later this week, these people said.

At Activision Blizzard, one option under consideration is for Vivendi—which controls a majority of the seats on the videogame company's board—to vote for a dividend of more than $3 billion from the subsidiary, some of the people familiar with the matter said.

Given Vivendi's 60% stake in Activision Blizzard, such a dividend would pay Vivendi roughly $2 billion.

Activision Blizzard would have to raise debt of its own to fund such a dividend, because it doesn't have enough cash in the U.S. to pay it, the people familiar with the matter said.

Activision Blizzard had $4.3 billion in cash and cash equivalents at the end of March, but $2.7 billion of that cash is held offshore, and would be subject to U.S. taxes if repatriated, according to company filings.

The proposed dividend isn't a slam dunk. Some people familiar with the matter said the cash payout wasn't the preferred option of Activision Blizzard management, including Chief Executive Bobby Kotick, who has tried to use Activision's cash pile to buy out Vivendi.

But other people close to Vivendi said there was no disagreement on the dividend idea—although no decision has yet been made on whether to pull the trigger.

Source: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323829104578619832424766570.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

And here is why this is happening:

mk-ce917_vivend_g_201dnq6r.jpg

Valnen

Blizzard really should have broken free from the clutches of Vivendi when WoW started to get big, by any means necessary.

Patryn

I recall seeing an earlier article saying that the real reason they're trying to do this is that they've been shopping Activision Blizzard around, but it's been doing TOO well, so nobody wants to take it. So they raid the coffers, load it up with debt so it doesn't look so healthy anymore and they hope that companies will come up to buy it at a discount.

FStop7

Banned
Activision Blizzard had $4.3 billion in cash and cash equivalents at the end of March, but $2.7 billion of that cash is held offshore, and would be subject to U.S. taxes if repatriated, according to company filings.

SMH. Fuck every company that does this.

Also, gutting the cash from the only (IIRC) major publisher with zero debt during a time when major publishers are struggling... SMH again.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I recall seeing an earlier article saying that the real reason they're trying to do this is that they've been shopping Activision Blizzard around, but it's been doing TOO well, so nobody wants to take it. So they raid the coffers, load it up with debt so it doesn't look so healthy anymore and they hope that companies will come up to buy it at a discount.

Yes, they could potentially sell it off, but for now they can use it as an ATM machine.

Vivendi considers ATVI to be close to its commercial peak. While ATVI continues to be an extremely profitable subsidiary of Vivendi, they're infinitely concerned about ATVI's long-term growth, and they want out of the unpredictable (and currently suffering steep YOY declines) video game industry.

It's not that Activision Blizzard is "doing too well." It's that it's TOO EXPENSIVE for any potential candidates at the moment. Loading the company up with debt both reduces its value and helps Vivendi offload some of its underperforming divisions.

Chronoja

just pump out CoD twice a year and Actvision makes another 3 billion in no time.

lol, don't be daft, they wouldn't bother doing the extra leg work. More likely they'll double the cost of a single annual release and people will still continue to buy it. Same for WoW expansions.

On a serious note though, this is quite a revealing situation that even the biggest fish in the sea have things to be afraid of.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Normally I would be extremely unbiased and say something like, "I think I need all the facts" but I absolutely despise blizzard they are my most hated developer this gen and I hope they burn.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Blizzard really should have broken free from the clutches of Vivendi when WoW started to get big, by any means necessary.

i'd actually consider blizzard being pretty appreciative of the safety net right now. popular reception of their creative output is at an all time low and the title which singularly justified their explosion into the leviathan they are today is dwindling fast.

with no guaranteed success of the follow up and the sea change in the economics of the industry (something particularly threatening to a conservative dinosaur like blizzard), i can see them more than happy to trade a little freedom for security.

SMH. Fuck every company that does this.

Also, gutting the cash from the only (IIRC) major publisher with zero debt during a time when major publishers are struggling... SMH again.

Why does that matter? Do you have some kind of loyalty or longing for ATVI to maintain the status quo? Honestly, from a corporate perspective, Vivendi is simply utilizing their assets in an effective way to maximize profits...they're acting as all companies should.

dionysus

Yaldog
We talked about this a few days ago.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=617091

I'll just say I don't see anything wrong with this. It's basically the same thing Sony used to do back when the gaming division made significant profits.

They are also just trying to make the purchase price go down. They want something like 10 billion, but no one is big enough to give them that at such favorable valuation.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
WSJ still putting their articles behind a paywall I see. I really dislike that practice.

I read an article where Pachter said where he expects Activision Blizzard will request to buy themselves out, and they'll have to pay Vivendi above market price for their shares. Link to that article below, it's from earlier in the month.

Article:
In this scenario would Activision be trying to buy Vivendi below 50% or actually buy out Vivendi?

They're kind of an expensive company ($17 billion) so it would be pretty hard to buy out all of it, but I'm not sure if Vivendi would be interested in less than a full sell-off.

RPGCrazied

Yeah, probably why they introduced $15 dollar transmog helms in the store, they even say they are going to add even more items.

dionysus

Yaldog
It prints money.

They have been trying to sell it entirely for a while. No buyers yet because honestly what is the upside. They have the 3 of the most dominant games in the industry, and the most dominant game in the industry. There is no more upside.

So they will extract cash in the meantime and hope some greater fool comes along to buy it. In this case the greater fool may be ActBliz themselves.

Enkidu

Here's a neat trick.

(I'm using Chrome)

Original article:
"http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323829104578619832424766570.html"

Add "cache:" to the beginning:
"cache:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323829104578619832424766570.html"

And voila, you can read the WSJ article in its entirety.
If you are not using Chrome you can also do it by adding "http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:" in the same way. It also works for other sites such as FT.com

Interfectum

So what does this mean for the future of Acti-Blizz? What are the potential repercussions of extracting that much cash from the company? Sell off?

I love this part:

So, they have the money, but ZOMG TAXEZ, so they can't spend it.

So what does this mean for the future of Acti-Blizz? What are the potential repercussions of extracting that much cash from the company? Sell off?

Sounds like it lowers them into a more sale-able position. And will get Vivendi out of a high risk market, all while acti-blizzard is at their perceived peak in value.

At this point anything that shakes up blizzard is good imo, they take too long, and play it too safe nowadays.

sflufan

Banned

It means that the market value of ActivLizzard is significantly reduced as it no longer has a gigantic mountain of cash as an asset. This makes the entity somewhat easier to sell off to a third party.

Scrawnton

it means they will not have cash back ups anymore and with rely more on guaranteed sellers because a failure could break them.

Basically, look forward to more call of duty.

I love this part:

So, they have the money, but ZOMG TAXEZ, so they can't spend it.

Not just taxed...HEAVILY taxed. Like, billions of dollars down the drain.

it means they will not have cash back ups anymore and with rely more on guaranteed sellers because a failure could break them.

Basically, look forward to more call of duty.

Activision Blizzard management has commented in the past and said that getting burdened with debt would potentially hamper their growth.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Activision Blizzard management has commented in the past and said that getting burdened with debt would potentially hamper their growth.

Right, Activision can take huge risks because they're cash wealthy and have a great cash flow.

Not having that makes things like giant MMOs and giant new franchises much more painful.

If Pachter's prediction comes true for example and they just buy themselves out for above market value rather than deal with Vivendi anymore, they have to dig themselves out of $6-$7 billion worth of debt when they had $4.3 billion in cash, and all of this would be due to basically no fault of their own.

patapuf

I understand selling Activision while the value is high if they expect the company to do baldy in the future.

But what does Vivendi actually have that they expect growth in? Their telecom firms'?

Zanasea

Yeah right. Let Vivendi fund the entire game development, and then bye bye! Oh and thanks for the money!

...You do realize this is stupid, hmm?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I understand selling Activision while the value is high if they expect the company to do baldy in the future.

But what does Vivendi actually have that they expect growth in? Their telecom firms'?

The other company they want to sell off is Maroc Telecom.

They want to build around their media division:

WSJ said:
Slashing Vivendi's €13.19 billion ($17.3 billion) in net debt is a key step in Mr. Fourtou's plan because after splitting up assets, the remaining pieces of Vivendi couldn't shoulder the burden without risking the company's credit rating. A spinoff of SFR, which some people close to the company say could happen by the fall of 2014, would leave Vivendi a smaller company, built around media businesses, such as Universal Music Group and French pay-TV company Canal Plus.

Interfectum

Yeah right. Let Vivendi fund the entire game development, and then bye bye! Oh and thanks for the money!

Eh that's a bit harsh and rather uncalled for.

Valnen has the right idea. Blizzard should have found a way to go independent as they make more than enough money to sustain themselves. It's a shame to see this developer just tossed around like garbage when in fact they are quite successful.

I'd like to see them pull a Bungie but I'm not sure how feasible that even is anymore.

Mr_Moogle

Seriously, how the fuck does a company rack up 13 billion dollars worth of debt? That's insane. Vivendi must have some really shitty administrators.

sflufan

Banned
The notion that Blizzard should buy its independence -- something which hasn't actually existed for many years -- from Vivendi is absolute nonsense and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.

The debt that Blizzard would have to take on to provide the funds for the buyout will more than likely be the end of the studio.

I would be surprised if there isn't a shotgun clause. I expect one to be activated if Vivendi don't get their money, and there is no way ActiBliz could come up with €10bn to buy out the 60% owned by Vivendi.

fader

totally unnecessary, don't bash the man for giving his opinion lol.

This sucks though, Blizzard would have to cut alot of things when this goes through...

dionysus

Yaldog
The notion that Blizzard should buy its independence -- something which hasn't actually existed for many years -- from Vivendi is absolute nonsense and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.

The debt that Blizzard would have to take on to provide the funds for the buyout will more than likely be the end of the studio.

In a rational world. Right now debt financing is essentially free so it hardly impacts cash flow.

Junk companies can borrow for like 5%, with ActiBliz's cash flow they would be able to borrow at lower rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom