• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vizio just launched it's new M series TVs (Full Array 4K HDCP 2.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinKL

I've had a Vizio in the house from Costco from 2009 and it has gone to shit. Turning on the TV gives me sound static for 1 minute then fixes itself and I have super faint horizontal lines. Just to give you an idea of casual perspective, no one notices the lines when they come over and I don't mention it. You really have to look for it to see. What that said, it still works and was cheap when we got it so I can't complain.

I'm still willing to give Vizio R another shot though at the high end area, as their prices seems good.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
No 3D...No sale.

Yes I know I am in the minority here. I had there previous 70 inch 3D model. I was really content with. After 6 months of really enjoying it my son decided to throw a toy at it and ended up cracking it.

TxdoHawk

No 3D...No sale.

Yes I know I am in the minority here. I had there previous 70 inch 3D model. I was really content with. After 6 months of really enjoying it my son decided to throw a toy at it and ended up cracking it.

Did you ever look into repair cost? At that screen size, I'm sure it's not an easy number to swallow, though.

I definitely believe people when they say they enjoy 3D, but my experience testing a bunch of sets a few years back was pretty unenjoyable. It was always either that the 3d effect was so exaggerated that everything looked like a pop-out book, or the effect was so subtle that it was barely noticeable.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
No 3D...No sale.

It does kind of suck, especially on 4K sets where the resolution boost really helps 3D immensely.

Pagusas

Elden Member
GAF, what's a good set for 4k, vidya and around 70+"?

Don't think I'm going to wait for the M-series.

That is 100% budget dependant. We are on the ledge of some serious price drops, especially when HDR hits, which will drop all of last years models prices through the floor. Now is probably the absolute worst time to buy a new TV. You'll either be over paying due to massive price drops coming for 2014 sets and missing out on new features if you are willing to pay for the set prices. To me it would be like buying an iPhone 5s the month before the apple conference. You could wait and save huge, or wait and get new features, but buying now insures you pay the most, at the worst time, with no upside.

rocK`

Banned
That is 100% budget dependant. We are on the ledge of some serious price drops, especially when HDR hits, which will drop all of last years models prices through the floor. Now is probably the absolute worst time to buy a new TV. You'll either be over paying due to massive price drops coming for 2014 sets and missing out on new features if you are willing to pay for the set prices. To me it would be like buying an iPhone 5s the month before the apple conference. You could wait and save huge, or wait and get new features, but buying now insures you pay the most, at the worst time, with no upside.

Helpful. Thanks. The timeline is about a month or two?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
img_20150422_162035norqsjh.jpg

Last year's 50" P set on sale at one of my local Walmarts for $750.

toneroni

Just chiming in that my first experience w Vizio is great so far. Love my 65" 4k P series so far. Simple GUI for the smart menu compared to the awesome LG webOS but everything works well and 4k content looks great. FALD makes the blacks look like plasma. Actually better than my basement LG plasma.

Ocaso

While this seems like good advice, it really depends on a person's needs. There is always going to be a better set or a better deal around the corner. It's not like iPhones where there are no real discounts until the new one launches. Many sets are gradually discounted throughout the year. I think if a person finds a TV they want at a price they like, they should go for it.

Personally, I just bought one of these new 4K M sets, and so far am really loving it. While I've owned LCDs before, I did so because of convenience, not preference. My main TV was a 2011 Panasonic plasma, but due to a move I needed a replacement. The image quality on this set is very plasma-like in terms of contrast, and to my surprise, the extra pixels give the image a very pleasant film-like quality at sub 4K resolutions (which is all I've been able to try out). At $1000 for a 55 inch TV, this is a great deal anyway you look at it.

I do hate the lack of 3D (I enjoy it and have a good 3D Blu Ray collection), but I hope to eventually get a 4K OLED a that has the capability somewhere down the line.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
While this seems like good advice, it really depends on a person's needs. There is always going to be a better set or a better deal around the corner. It's not like iPhones where there are no real discounts until the new one launches. Many sets are gradually discounted throughout the year. I think if a person finds a TV they want at a price they like, they should go for it.

Personally, I just bought one of these new 4K M sets, and so far am really loving it. While I've owned LCDs before, I did so because of convenience, not preference. My main TV was a 2011 Panasonic plasma, but due to a move I needed a replacement. The image quality on this set is very plasma-like in terms of contrast, and to my surprise, the extra pixels give the image a very pleasant film-like quality at sub 4K resolutions (which is all I've been able to try out). At $1000 for a 55 inch TV, this is a great deal anyway you look at it.

I do hate the lack of 3D (I enjoy it and have a good 3D Blu Ray collection), but I hope to eventually get a 4K OLED a that has the capability somewhere down the line.

How good is that touted upscale feature to get 1080p content looking great? Can you tell a difference between different 1080p sources?

Ocaso

How good is that touted upscale feature to get 1080p content looking great? Can you tell a difference between different 1080p sources?

Early impression is that it's very good. I watched some 1080p Netflix movies last night, an older film from the 90s (Bran Stoker's Dracula) as well as a bit of a CGI movie. Dracula looked very similar to how it might on a 1080p set. Nothing about the image stood out as a flaw. Of course, as an older movie the default image wasn't as sharp as it could be. With CG, however, the image looked extremely sharp and crisp, perhaps even cleaner than on my old Panasonic (though I admittedly cannot do a side by side). I've only done a bit of 4K viewing on Amazon Instant, but my early impression is that the difference is subtle at this picture size. It was hard to tell when the stream switched from 1080p to 4K from my usual viewing distance, and even when I could appreciate an increase in clarity, it was mostly because I was deliberately scanning objects to see what details looked cleaner. I can't say it's making me itch to give Netflix more money for their 4K streaming at this point, but maybe once I get used to. I've little doubt the difference will be more apparent with larger sets, though.

One quirk I did notice and hope Vizio fixes, is that motion interpolation seems to be forced on regardless of whether the smoothing feature is on or off UNLESS you turn Game mode on. That obviously sucks and is something of a big oversight on their part.

Ocaso

I played with this TV a little more and discovered a couple of interesting things, one which is awesome for gamers. The first interesting thing is that it is possible to turn off interpolation independently of game mode. You have to turn it on and off again if it doesn't work the first time. Still a bug, but a less shitty one since it still allows recognition of 24p content, which is forced off in game mode.

The awesome thing is that I figured out what the "Clear Action" feature does. The sole review I found on the web for this prior to purchase is from rtings, which mentioned that this feature didn't really do anything for motion blur. Well, either Vizio fixed it since then or they didn't notice it, because what this does is activate a strobing effect on the backlight, which does wonders for the motion resolution! Between this and the ultra low input lag, this appears to be a fantastic gaming TV.

No 3D...No sale.

Agreed. 3D is a must for me. But I don't think there is any spec for 4K 3D for home viewing. Not even HDMI 2.0 supports 3D at 4K... I think....

DarkFlow

Banned
I bought a 65" 2014 M-Series this year after my Panasonic plasma died. Let me just say this: I would not recommend a Vizio to my worst enemies. Also full array, I can pinpoint the different LED zones as they create a very faint grid when displaying a solid color (or not, in the case of a blue sky). Additionally, I have some crazy bad flashlighting going on in very dark scenes. It's under warranty, however Vizio did not see this as a defective unit.

Pass this up and get something else. I beg you all.

I have a P-Series and the first one I bought had horrible flashlights in all corners. I returned it and got another and that problem went away. The array thing I can see sometimes, but I have to really be looking for it so it's not a big deal. On the positive side, it makes blacks black since it pretty much turns it off.

methodman

Banned
Anyone have any reviews on these? Thinking about getting one. The 55 inch is 950 at walmart

I got the 55" from Costco for 849.99. I love it. I found some settings online (http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-brand/vizio/m-series-2015/settings) and it looks freakin amazing. I haven't even tried streaming any 4k yet but blu ray alone is exceptionally clearer than the 2012 lg LCD 55" at my parent's house.

I moved in with the wife into a townhouse with a really small living room so we had trouble figuring out the best location for the TV. We ended up agreeing that above the fireplace was the best spot for the TV, but I've always hated that setup because of neck issues from looking up.

After a lot of research I found this company: www.dynamicmounting.com

I just put this up last night and it is killer. It's called a "down and out" mount. I mounted my TV above my fireplace, but the mount is made to come down to eye level in front of the fireplace (almost 3 whole feet!) and it just makes the entire TV viewing experience incredible. I would recommend them to anyone (the customer service is great and really efficient, and the product itself is really solid). If you post any reviews or images of them, they also supply a rebate. I do not have any pictures of my setup yet, will update this post later today, but here's what it looks like setup:

The product is worth every penny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom