• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Void Bastards on sale on PS Store ($8.99)

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Got this one as a free Epic Games giveaway a while ago. I thought the bones were there for a good time, but the sense of progress and variety wasn't quite enough to hold my interest. If they've added more content in the past year or two, I might have to check it out again.

xrnzaaas

It's a decent game, not a great one. Its biggest problem is that there aren't enough ship types to cover the entire length of a single playthrough, not to mention doing multiple playthroughs. You can start recognizing the same interiors very quickly and it takes away a lot of fun from the exploration. The game is also a bit unbalanced, some ships are very hostile and it's a big problem to leave them in one piece (not to mention gain some loot from them) while others from the same phase of the game can pose no serious challenge.

The comic style is what drew me to the game and I had some fun over several playthroughs, but it's not a game I'll remember many years from now or want to go back to.

Last edited:
It's a decent game, not a great one. Its biggest problem is that there aren't enough ship types to cover the entire length of a single playthrough, not to mention doing multiple playthroughs. You can start recognizing the same interiors very quickly and it takes away a lot of fun from the exploration. The game is also a bit unbalanced, some ships are very hostile and it's a big problem to leave them in one piece (not to mention gain some loot from them) while others from the same phase of the game can pose no serious challenge.

The comic style is what drew me to the game and I had some fun over several playthroughs, but it's not a game I'll remember many years from now or want to go back to.
Sums up my feeling as well. I got it on Gamepass and it was a fun but forgettable game.

It did seem like luck overall with the ships, with one ship can ruin the run due to the difficulty for no reason!

For $9 I would say its worth it, you can spend a bit of time on it

GHG

Gold Member
It's perpetually being given away on PC for free or bargain bin prices (currently can be had for around $3).

From what I played I'd say it's ok, nothing to write home about. But then I got it as part of a bundle at some point so can't complain.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I just think it’s at least worth a play, and worth $8.99 on ps5. It’s a different spin on a genre I tend to hate.

Evil Smurf King

Neo Member
When I found out about this game, I was really excited about the visuals, gameplay and general feel of the it (and the fact that I love roguelites). Bought it full price with the DLC.

It's a shame that, although the idea is good, it's not a cool or even fun game to play. There's a lot missing. It could have been a little classic, but it's boring, very time consuming and repetitive (in not a good way). The progression system between ships is bogged and very, very punitive to the point where it was impossible to go on.

The gunplay is OK, but the gameplay loop is somewhat truncated and it´s f... HARD. Maybe a sequel could fix these flaws, because the general concept is pretty good.

Roberts

No matter if you think it is great or merely good, it is worth buying for that price if you have a thing for roguelikes. Weird sense of humour too.

Top Bottom