• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voltron: Legendary Defender |OT| Season 3 now up, Season 4 (cough) in Oct

Geist-

I gotta admit, I never cared for Voltron when i was a kid, but I'm watching this because of how similar the animation is to Legend of Korra.

Effect

I'm going to watch regardless of my concerns but the concerns are there. Voltron was one of my favorite shows as a kid. I enjoyed it more then Transformers to be honest. It holds a special place in my heart for me. It and Robotech were to me what Transformers was a other kids.

Sou Da

Battle Fever J and Denjiman precede it and they're not even the first Sentai. GoLion was a Toei production, so I wouldn't worry about it much

I'm on mobile, what's the issue? Or did someone already fix it+
I mistakenly used I as in capital I for the OT brackets instead of |. Small gripe but it'd be appreciated if you edited that.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'm not sure how much I'm going to like that if Allura doesn't end up a pilot. That's a change I don't agree with it. Not killing Sven is fine but making Allura a non-pilot seems like a big step back. That was one of the best things about Voltron at the time.

Allura commands a fleet in this, so becoming a pilot would arguably be kind of a step back.

Sou Da

I'm not sure how much I'm going to like that if Allura doesn't end up a pilot. That's a change I don't agree with it. Not killing Sven is fine but making Allura a non-pilot seems like a big step back. That was one of the best things about Voltron at the time.
Are you coernecered about it being a sausagefest or just that particular plot point?

If the latter, I suggest you take a careful look at the character bios in the OP and see if you can spot the difference in how one is written.

TheFlow

Banned
13 episodes? yea I am going to marathon this.

Hope this is popular enough for a new wave of toys.

always wanted a voltron set growing up.

Crocodile

So all 13 episodes are going to dumped unto Netflix tomorrow? Interesting. Not sure what to make of the pre-release material but the pedigree is strong so I'm hopeful this will be a strong show. We get so few action cartoons on this shore :(

Effect

Allura commands a fleet in this, so becoming a pilot would arguably be kind of a step back.

Are you coernecered about it being a sausagefest or just that particular plot point?

If the latter, I suggest you take a careful look at the character bios in the OP and see if you can spot the difference in how one is written.

Both were concerns. I liked the fact she wasn't only playing the back at the base role but was in the middle of the action. So unless she's commanding that fleet from the bridge of her own ship and it's taking fire I think it's kind of a step back. Now if they're working toward her being a pilot with perhaps Shiro/Sven being a sleeper agent based on him being previously capture then okay then. I'll wait and see how things go with both characters. I just think I'm going to be annoyed and disappointed if the new series in 2016 ends up not doing something the 1984 series was able to do with THE female character. I don't think new personality additions need to result with removing her from the center of the action.

I'm not even super interested in Voltron (though I will definitely probably watch it), but this is one of the best OT thread titles I've seen.

Effect

Have they've just reviewed the first episode or all of them? The one I came across came across as only talking about the first episode I believe. The review was really positive which is good.

Sojgat

Have they've just reviewed the first episode or all of them? The one I came across came across as only talking about the first episode I believe. The review was really positive which is good.

Yeah, I should have said that. They all seem to be reviews of the pilot episode only.

DiscoJer

In honor of the new show, we had a Voltron statue go up here in St. Louis (where Voltron is indirectly from, a local station licensed and dubbed the Japanese cartoon it was made from)

http://imgur.com/mm19HMW

Only about 15 feet tall, but still, pretty cool

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Man, I hope this is up on Netflix when I get home from work. Also, weird that I haven't seen any advertising for it on Japanese Netflix.

In honor of the new show, we had a Voltron statue go up here in St. Louis (where Voltron is indirectly from, a local station licensed and dubbed the Japanese cartoon it was made from)

http://imgur.com/mm19HMW

Only about 15 feet tall, but still, pretty cool

Funny thing is, I don't think Golion was that popular in Japan. Most Japanese people I've asked that are into anime have never heard of it.

Man, I hope this is up on Netflix when I get home from work. Also, weird that I haven't seen any advertising for it on Japanese Netflix.

Funny thing is, I don't think Golion was that popular in Japan. Most Japanese people I've asked that are into anime have never heard of it.

It at least made it into SRW though so there it lives on. A bit of a meme in Japan or at least NicoNico on its lyric "Give Up Say!" from the opening is there.

Nerdist review of the pilot.

Gives it a 4 out of 5. Potentially minor spoilers in the article.

http://nerdist.com/voltron-legendary-defender-is-the-space-opera-you-need-review/

I was lucky enough to get to see the origin movie at a screening, so this will be a review of that, but know this—as far as origins go, it ticks all the boxes. It introduces the pertinent characters, sets up the plight they face, becomes a quest to unlock the eventual power of Voltron, and sets the scene for the episodes to follow. And it does a damn good job of all of it.

It isn’t just a show where you’re waiting around twiddling your thumbs until Voltron shows up, though that is a highlight of the episode for sure. It feels much more to me like a space anime of the past, like Space Battleship Yamato or Macross, than it does something like Power Rangers where it follows the same path every time, always culminating in the Megazord fighting a giant monster.

Ok so they swapped some stuff around. Sven was the pilot of the blue lion and Keith was always the leader and pilot of the black lion, at least in the US cartoons.

Princess took over the blue lion after...some stuff happened.

It's going to be interesting what direction they take things in this reboot.

Really liking the designs and diversity in skin tones as well.

Breads

Banned
Amazing thread title.

Will edit this after I actually watch the first episode.

Because I am passing out as I ty

Volimar

First episode spoilers
they didn't say the things when they were forming voltron, series ruined, I cancelled my pre-order.

Actually great episode. Made me crack up a few times. Not really feeling the princess or Coran especially.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm not seeing Voltron at all on Japanese Netflix...this really does not bode well.

I had to sign out and sign back in to get it to show up.

Nah, I think it's just another victim of anime licensing issues.

I scrolled through the Netflix JP twitter feed and didn't see a single mention of the show so my bet is it's either not coming until later or never coming.

Booooo~

Top Bottom