• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voltron: Legendary Defender |OT| Season 3 now up, Season 4 (cough) in Oct

Tuck

The humour is, at times, *very* reminiscent of the Avatar series. Guess that makes sense since its written by some of the Avatar writers.

Any word on if Season 2 started production or are did they just throw that ending out there assuming they'd be picked up for another season?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Any word on if Season 2 started production or are did they just throw that ending out there assuming they'd be picked up for another season?

Well they can't have been sitting back all this time. It takes a long fucking time for an episode of this show's quality to be produced, so if it only gets greenlit now, expect an even longer wait for season 2. They have to have continued working on the show.

Ithil

Four episodes in, enjoying it so far. It's much lighter and more "Saturday morning" than Avatar, but serialised with every episode just leading into the next instead of the "monster of the week" format, which is far superior.

I liked the episode 3 twist of
Pidge being a girl in disguise
, though I had an inkling it might have been the case, probably because
her voice actress is well versed in roles of girls crossdressing as boys

I thought it was decent.
There was a lack of character development in the season that I disliked for some of the cast. The fact that we got 3 episodes on Balmera also kinda put me down on the whole space adventure vibe I felt the show was about to go on. I really disliked how the show just ended on a cliffhanger though but I'm guessing we can expect another season of this.

I said it before, but that ending is not good. A good cliffhanger leaves the audience with a sense of tension, maybe some debate over where the show is going to go. This ending? It makes me wonder if the second season is written yet, because
they can do literally anything with portal nonsense.

I don't like the amount of crossover between Shiro, Kieth, and Lance. It's like they couldn't decide which sort of "main guy" they wanted to go with and just put them all in.

I don't like the amount of crossover between Shiro, Kieth, and Lance. It's like they couldn't decide which sort of "main guy" they wanted to go with and just put them all in.
The main issue is that they don't do all that much to make Keith stand out. Aside from fights, that is. Like, Lance and Shiro are very different characters and Keith is just sort of...there

Didn't expect much but I loved it. What is this nonsense about toning down the humor? It's good and this isn't a show that needs to be serious. I will agree that Lance=Sokka and Hunk is pretty much Bolin imo. But you can never get enough Sokka and Hunk isn't as bad as Bolin nor on screen as often so I enjoy both, especially with Jeremy Shada voice acting. Keith is pretty lame tho.
Bring on season 2!

Sojgat

Finally got a chance to watch this and absolutely loved it. I need more, like right now.

The characters, action, and humour all hit that perfect balance for me. I love the new designs for everything. Especially the Voltron force uniforms/armour. Pidge and Hunk were the standouts, but every character got their own badass moments. Really can't overstate how much I enjoyed this series.

My only criticism would be that they need to vary up the Voltron transformation sequence. It gets pretty repetitive.

Wheeljack539

Gold Member
On Keith:

http://nerdist.com/voltron-legendar...te-showrunner-interview-dreamworks-animation/

The pilot of the Red Lion. Mysterious and stand-offish, but ultimately a good friend. Not the leader, but an ace pilot nonetheless.

“Obviously in the original he was the leader guy, and we just wanted to start him in a different place,” said Montgomery. “He looks up to Shiro, but he’s definitely not the leader that Shiro is at all. And so he’s got a lot to learn, he’s still very impulsive, very rash, and he’s got a hot temper.”

“It gives him a good place to grow, too,” said Dos Santos. “He latches onto Shiro at times because Shiro’s sort of the only thing that can really calm him down and keep him in check.”

Basically they put him in a spot where he has room to grow into the Keith we remember. And likely will get more development in season 2 as we got a lot of Hunk, Pidge and Shiro in season 1.

Geist-

I'm positive they'll kill Shiro off and make Keith the leader

I'd much rather see Keith die. Shiro is interesting as fuck, he's a strong leader that hides great psychological pain and he still has a ton of missing time in that prison that can come up again in the story.

Keith continues to be as interesting as a block of wood.

On Keith:

http://nerdist.com/voltron-legendar...te-showrunner-interview-dreamworks-animation/

Basically they put him in a spot where he has room to grow into the Keith we remember. And likely will get more development in season 2 as we got a lot of Hunk, Pidge and Shiro in season 1.

I hope that story isn't quite that predictable, but if I'm being honest with myself that's probably exactly where the story will go. :-(

Ive never seen OG Voltron so I have no frame of reference here but Shiro's character is just too fully formed. Once we get the reveal for his kidnapping and he gets his weapon back, hes probably got the clock ticking for him.

Keith is a hothead if the last episode is anything to go by and has room to grow. Him being forced into the role, like Hot Rod for Optimus in Transformers or Enzo for Bob in Reboot, is probably going to happen. Lance and the others are too much of a bunch of supporting characters, and as far as the pilot goes Keith is the closest to Shiro apparently. Though Pidge has way more interactions with him that I recall which is weird.

Watched the first 3 episodes I had no idea so much of the Korra crew worked on this series. I tried watching classic Voltron back when Adult Swim first started I couldn't get into it this series on the other hand fantastic.

I really hope they are able to release an art book.

Wheeljack539

Gold Member
I hope that story isn't quite that predictable, but if I'm being honest with myself that's probably exactly where the story will go. :-(

So you're saying Keith getting the chance to grow as a character is bad? Or that he could eventually replace Shiro that is bad?

At the moment Shiro seems to have
cleared his original's death dance.

Voltron%20Shirogane%20vs%20Haggar_zpsmafah520.jpg

I'm only two episodes in and already
Embracing for Shiro's soon to be demise :( :( :(

Although I hope I'm wrong and they go in another direction...

Geist-

So you're saying Keith getting the chance to grow as a character is bad? Or that he could eventually replace Shiro that is bad?

At the moment Shiro seems to have
cleared his original's death dance.

Voltron%20Shirogane%20vs%20Haggar_zpsmafah520.jpg
The replace Shiro part. I'm obviously biased, but I don't want to see a character I like die for the sake of another's character development.

massoluk

Banned
I don't think it's that amazing. I don't know, I think it's mostly the soundtrack. They are incredibly weak, need something more thrilling, never once did I have a "fuck yeah" moment because the atmosphere are kinda bland with that music.

I'm only two episodes in and already
Embracing for Shiro's soon to be demise :( :( :(

Although I hope I'm wrong and they go in another direction...

Between that and
Lance's near death in Episode 4
you could tell that they were having a lot of fun playing with people's expectations for
someone to get killed off like Sven

I sincerely hope not but I feel that way too. But Keith is useless and would be a pretty shit leader.

They're pushing him as a lone wolf character, and the last episode is a huge indicator of that. Hopefully they give him more time in that. It was pretty obvious that he's intended to be that character, with Shiro being the only one that can really reign him in. But he ends up taking a back seat to pretty much all the characters and really comes off as more needy than a loner. Like, he gets super upset over Lance not accepting their bonding moment.

Keith is the character they easily do the worst job with creating and emphasizing their unique role in the team. Like Mako from The Legend of Korra.

Mediocre. The characters aren't charming, cool, charismatic, etc. or anything and it comes off super forced. Fight scenes are awful. The style is quite generic. Music is the worst part. You have zero reason to care about any of these people. Zarkon should kill them all and get it over with. You can tell they are trying desperately to recreate the Avatar magic.

Watched up till episode 6. This show is so much better than it has any right to be. I really like how they seem to be going with an ensemble approach to the cast rather than Main Guy and his Amazing Friends

Dali

Show is surprisingly good. Hate the cg Lions but in this day and age what else should you expect. Regarding Pidge:
seeing the trailer I as well as others were like she sounds like a girl. Glad to see it wasn't just a horrible choice of voice actor.

I've been dying every time I spot a call out to another show
fucking Roy Fokker in episode 1, Pidge doing the Gendou Ikari thing in episode 10

This was a really good series. Looking forward to a second season.

Also hoping Playmates (company doing the toys) will release a non-shit toy line later this year. Though I wonder what route they'll go, will they have a complete set or make you buy all 5 lions to form Voltron? Or both?

Finally got around to it today. I could only make it through the first episode...

Nice animation and character designs ruined by terrible writing and voice acting. Characters seems to only have two modes of personalities: Comic relief and too serious.

I suppose you can argue that the source material exactly ain't Shakespeare, but tone of Beast King GoLion wasn't this nonchalantly silly.

They need to pare down the comic relief moments by about 85% and hire better writers. And before you say "this is for kids", I don't know of any kids who would give two rats about this IP. It only has street cred with old fuckers like me.

Wheeljack539

Gold Member
Finally got around to it today. I could only make it through the first episode...

Nice animation and character designs ruined by terrible writing and voice acting. Characters seems to only have two modes of personalities: Comic relief and too serious.

I suppose you can argue that the source material exactly ain't Shakespeare, but tone of Beast King GoLion wasn't this nonchalantly silly.

They need to pare down the comic relief moments by about 85% and hire better writers. And before you say "this is for kids", I don't know of any kids who would give two rats about this IP. It only has street cred with old fuckers like me.

Much of the humor displayed in the episode is toned down in later ones with the best two episodes at the end of the season. I would recommend trying to push through as we do get character development.

Though I am curious about your issues with voice acting and outside of the 'humor' what was the issue with the writing?

kurahador

Urghhh...disappointing as hell. Most of the jokes involving Hunk doesn't land at all and just ends up being cringeworthy, yet they keep doing it.

Also the pacing is terrible. Parts that should be 1 episode long ends up being 2 for some reason. And most of the good scenes were condensed in the last 2 episodes, but it felt too little too late.

Much of the humor displayed in the episode is toned down in later ones with the best two episodes at the end of the season. I would recommend trying to push through as we do get character development.

Though I am curious about your issues with voice acting and outside of the 'humor' what was the issue with the writing?

I suppose I should try to power through at least few more episodes...

The writing based on the first episode seem to rely overly on established tropes and beats without any good reason. For instance, Pidge's family being part of the crew that was abducted along with Shiro, which I'm sure plays part in later episodes, is revealed in a way that serves no purpose other than being a forced surprise reveal. If it was established earlier in the episode in an open way, the whole thing could have had more emotional impact later when they are on the ship searching for them.

The show just seems like going through all the motions of being an anime without any real soul of one to me.

Got a little further into the series and still loving it.

I really like how the Robeasts are treated more like Evangelion style Angels. Rather than being monsters of the week, they only appear every few episodes and are real fucking work to beat. Also really like how each pilot has weapons and abilities they handle, rather than having Shiro being the sole pilot after forming. It feels inspired by Gravion and Dancouga Nova.

Speaking of which, I super want this show included in a Super Robot Wars. Voltron and the Castle of Lions would be a cool super robot and battleship respectively, and the Robeasts would be fun to fight as bosses.

RPGCrazied

Finished it. It was very well done, at first I thought the animation was iffy, but it is must of been that teaser trailer. Its very good. Season 2 in the works? Surely because in the way the show ended on the final episode.

Ithil

Quite an abrupt cliffhanger to the last episode, but plenty of cool reveals and hints in the finale. I guess they already have a Season 2 on the way with such a inconclusive ending.

Sephzilla

Finished this a few days ago and really enjoyed it. As someone who's nostalgic for the old series, I think this is the definitive best version. I honestly think season 2 could benefit from making each episode a bit longer though, to be honest.

Top Bottom