• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox: Dark chocolate is now a health food. Here’s how that happened.

Jeffrey

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/sc...95478/chocolate-health-benefits-heart-disease

In our review of cocoa health science published to date, we found that the most compelling (and best-studied) effect has to do with cocoa’s effects on blood pressure.

There’s promising evidence showing cocoa flavanols can increase the synthesis of nitric oxide in the blood vessels, which boosts blood flow (or vasodilation) and reduces blood pressure. Lower blood pressure has been linked with a lower risk of cardiovascular events like heart attack, stroke, and cardiovascular mortality. According to a Cochrane systematic review of the cocoa research on blood pressure, flavanol-rich chocolate and cocoa products “cause a small (2 mmHg) blood pressure-lowering effect in mainly healthy adults in the short term.”

Chocolate’s heart health benefits are extremely appealing at a time when heart disease is still the leading cause of death in America. When researchers have run big, high-quality observational studies, following many people’s diets, they’ve found associations between chocolate eating and a lower risk of cardiovascular problems — and many of these studies weren’t funded by the industry.

Here’s the hitch, though: Cocoa’s effects on blood flow have never been directly linked to a lowered risk of cardiovascular events. So cocoa may impact blood pressure in the short term, but it’s never been proven to reduce the risk of heart disease or heart attacks. And observational studies can only show correlations between phenomena — not that eating chocolate caused the reductions in heart problems. It may be that chocolate eaters are wealthier or have other characteristics, aside from their chocolate-eating habit, that protect them from disease.

What’s more, while fresh cacao beans are rich in flavanols, the nutrient can get destroyed during chocolate processing, so most candy bars don’tdeliver the potentially blood-boosting stuff. (Mars now markets its CocoaVia products as being made with “gently handled” cocoa beans that “preserve and protect the cocoa flavanols inside.”)

Researchers are now trying to sort out whether the promising smaller trials and observational studies on cocoa and heart health translate into fewer clinical events like heart attacks through a major randomized controlled trial called COSMOS, run by researchers at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, an affiliate of Harvard Medical School, and the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle.

Interestingly, that study focuses on the effects of cocoa supplements, not chocolate, since supplements are a better flavanol delivery vehicle. COSMOS and its ancillary studies also happen to be funded by Mars Symbioscience, as well as Pfizer Inc. and the National Institutes of Health — the culmination of its decades-long investment in searching for chocolate’s health attributes.

Tldr. Big chocolate been sponsoring many studies telling you dark chocolate is good for you. And tying a narrative together with inconclusive results.

Interesting read. There might be a bit of a bias if the company funding your research has motives lol.

Healthy has always been lobby wars. Antigmo organic etc.

Don't blindly trust premium priced 'health foods' is the key.

Chocolate itself is fine, the problem is that the majority of what is being called chocolate nowadays has very little cocoa in it and lots of sugar

Ryu1999

Chocolate itself is fine, the problem is that the majority of what is being called chocolate nowadays has very little cocoa in it and lots of sugar

I didn't realize how "watered-down" most chocolate is until I started buying 90% cocoa chocolate bars for my wife - it has barely any sweetness (and surprisingly low net carbs)

Yukiari

Wasn't dark chocolate always listed as being better for you. Real chocolate and not most of the crap you buy in grocery stores. It's always been my go to when I want something a little bit sweet. A nice treat right out of the freezer.

Zaru

Whatever happened to the world's supply of chocolate running out?

For a while, there was actually a notable increase in price which could be felt in stores.
Something happened to reverse that trend though.

ukIjdup.png

Senoculum

One time in when I was backpacking in Latin America, 100% dark chocolate was the only thing that cured my hangovers. It works.

I can't stand the milk powder, sugary shit they call chocolate nowadays.

Whatever happened to the world's supply of chocolate running out?

On one hand, Perú is getting in bed with Cacao. So, probably the supply increased a fair amount. In only 10 years, they went from being a fairly unknown player to one of the biggest in the world.

M.Bluth

Does it even matter if it's healthy or not, though?
I much prefer not to eat stuff that taste like dried raspberry and burnt leather. Dark chocolate is disgusting.

Hari Seldon

So a bunch of shady studies funded by the candy companies? This is why no one eats correctly in the US. Too much conflicting information from dubious sources with unrepeatable shit studies that masquerade as "science".

McBryBry

I've got some dark chocolate with bourbon caramel at home that I want real bad now. Yes, the caramel makes it unhealthy but GOD DAMN MAN

M.Bluth

I've got some dark chocolate with bourbon caramel at home that I want real bad now. Yes, the caramel makes it unhealthy but GOD DAMN MAN

But the point is that dark chocolate on its own isn't necessarily healthy in the first place. Read the OP:
Here's the hitch, though: Cocoa's effects on blood flow have never been directly linked to a lowered risk of cardiovascular events. So cocoa may impact blood pressure in the short term, but it's never been proven to reduce the risk of heart disease or heart attacks. And observational studies can only show correlations between phenomena — not that eating chocolate caused the reductions in heart problems. It may be that chocolate eaters are wealthier or have other characteristics, aside from their chocolate-eating habit, that protect them from disease.

What's more, while fresh cacao beans are rich in flavanols, the nutrient can get destroyed during chocolate processing, so most candy bars don'tdeliver the potentially blood-boosting stuff. (Mars now markets its CocoaVia products as being made with ”gently handled" cocoa beans that ”preserve and protect the cocoa flavanols inside.")

ShyMel

That avocado cholate bar sounds disgusting. The article reminds me of the "Adam Ruins Everything" video about sugar.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Placebo effect can't lower your blood pressure

Sure it can.
Heart Rate \ blood pressure is one of the most psychosomatic symptoms of all.

Not long term though, obviously.

Metalmarc

Milk chocolate in the UK tastes awful nowadays and has done since 1994, sorry young Gaf if you weren't around to taste chocolate prior to 1994, you haven't tasted the best UK chocolate, you just haven't okay deal with it.

Since 1994/95 chocolate companies in the UK started adding vegetable fat to the chocolate and made it taste worse, (cheap bastards did this and this and yet still charged premium prices despite the fact they were diluting it with the fats) and yet somehow our rubbish Milk Chocolate is still better than American Milk chocolate.

Yet I still buy it even though it tastes lame, because I don't have much choice, unless I buy Dark Chocolate or I can get hold Vegetable fat free chocs.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've always heard it's the flavanols that offer the health benefit and that a lot of chocolate (even dark chocolate) is processed and reduces or eliminates the benefits. IIRC "processed with alkali" or "Dutch processed" is what you want to avoid in dark chocolate.

Rise of the shadowy underbelly of the World of Carob~

Folks will never stop chasing magic bullets in terms of nutritional health---just try to eat as many good and well wrought different things as you can find. US chocolate industry can't ever seem to get out of trouble though between weird rumblings, stuff like the Mast Bros...pretty much anything other than improving the craft seems to be the primary past times.

Top Bottom