• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox: Elizabeth Warren fires back at centrist Democrats

What has been costing the Democrats seats for decades in Middle America is gun control. They should be doing something about that, not abortion. I don't think abortion has been anyone's hot-button issue since the 1990's.

It absolutely has been a huge issue that can singlehandedly break a candidate for many americans unfortunately. There are tons of people in rural america who being pro-choice is a deal breaker for

Sinfamy

Ah this bullshit again. Broken records will be broken.

I guess minorities and the LGBTQ community voting for anyone but the guy you support makes it rigged. How dare they!
I don't personally consider it "rigged" by definition, but the DNC chair literally stepped down amidst the information dump showing the DNCs non-neutral stance and preferencial treatment of one candidate.
That is an objective fact.

I hope people are more careful when using the word rigged which implies an illegitimate voting process, which is not true, but there was definitely misconduct in the way things were handled.

Kysen

Moving further left is only going to make the dems lose even more. Trump is a barometer for the direction the country is going.

Moving further left is only going to make the dems lose even more. Trump is a barometer for the direction the country is going.

You’re free to follow Trump and the rest of the far right into their goalposts if that’s how you feel the country is moving and should be moving.

Sinfamy

Fake news.
The only time the Democrats won overwhelmingly was in 2008 with a progressive (relative), populist candidate.

Democrats have been trying to move right for years now and been losing election after election.

Ask Alison Lundergan Grimes how her campaign went.

Fake news.
The only time the Democrats won overwhelmingly was in 2008 with a progressive, populist candidate.

Democrats have been trying to move right for years now and been losing election after election.

One could argue that Obama would be considered a centrist in 2008 easily by today's standards considering his positions on issues such as gay marriage. Of course, he was quite progressive compared to say... Bill Clinton.

That said, I do think that the party is rightfully moving to the left. However, they shouldn't take that as permission to go crazy.

TarNaru33

Banned
I sadly think she would have been just as reviled as Clinton and be just as not trusted (see the whole shit about calling her Pocahontas). Some people really can't get over that and people I know basically agree with her on everything about banks and finance reform but still hate her guts for "reasons"

Most of this is bullshit, the people you are talking about that hate her while also believing the same things, hate her because she stayed on the sidelines between Clinton and Bernie. They all thought she would back Bernie as she is politically aligned with him as being more liberal than most and she took what they seen as the cowards way out.

A lot of people take more offense to those who sit idly by as things go to shit than those that take a terrible position. Neogaf (many Clinton supporters) is a good example as every thread that reminds us of 2016 election, you see people scold those who chose not to vote because of what they saw as 2 terrible options.

It absolutely has been a huge issue that can singlehandedly break a candidate for many americans unfortunately. There are tons of people in rural america who being pro-choice is a deal breaker for

I don't know, it feels like it always is and would be something.

If a Democratic candidate came out as anti-abortion and pro-guns, the rural voters would just suddenly decide that not teaching Creationism in schools is disqualifying, or that being "harder on drugs" is a requirement for candidates, or etc.

Most "single-issue voters" are probably actually habitual party voters who are just don't really want to engage in political discourse and have found shouting really loud about one thing is the best way to avoid people engaging with them.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's the opposite actually. Provide a viable progressive alternative that inspires, and the wins will come.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Stop firing back at people who vote for you.

kirblar

Fake news.
The only time the Democrats won overwhelmingly was in 2008 with a progressive (relative), populist candidate.

Obama ran to Hillary's right in the primaries!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The republicans spent like 2 decades arguing that it was the RINO's fault every time hey lost anything.

The reason they keep getting back the various branches has nothing to do with ideological purity and more because the way politics work is that people constantly vote the sitting party out of power.

Presidential elections are won as a personality contest based on which candidate is flashier.

BobLoblaw

Banned
The first sentence is true. The second is bullshit. If Dems want to lose another Presidential election, then by all means nominate Warren, though. Obama was as close to a "liberal centrist" Democrat as you can get on a number of issues (when he first ran - remember his initial stance on gay marriage?). The country is center to slightly center right, so choosing a lighting rod who's further left than Obama is the path to irrelevance as a party. I say this as a lifelong Democrat.

I love Warren. If she ran for president, she would have won. The primary and the general. Can't blame her for not wanting to though, hindsight is 2020. No one could have predicted Bernie or Trump.

I'm taking this as she is thinking about running. 2020 dems may be Bernie, Warren, Harris, Cuomo, Booker, Gilbrand, and that one guy Obama wants. Can't think of anyone else atm. I hope Bernie and Warren don't split their votes and work together if it appears they are hurting the progressive ticket. Excluding Harris, I really don't want any of those other guys getting the nomination, especially Booker.

Ah this bullshit again. Broken records will be broken.

I guess minorities and the LGBTQ community voting for anyone but the guy you support makes it rigged. How dare they!

Man every time I see you post I keep thinking it's me since that's my Battle.net, iPhone, MacBook, wireless, Discord username

This is wrong. Trump was a reactionary choice for people who didn't feel like they had any say in the government. It was a "fuck you" vote.

Give people an actual choice which reflects what they want to say and they will win votes in a landslide. It's like people completely forgot how Obama won in 2008.

But I heard centrism is a great place to be!
boogie2988_middle_by_digi_matrix-db3h3ud.gif

Yes. Over Bernie too. Bernie was technically further left, meaning the more moderate option won.

If this is your argument that we're moving right/Trump is the direction the country is moving to because Hillary beat them both…I'ma need you to take another shot at this whole thing.

Draxal

Oh boy, another one of those conversations where social leftism and fiscal leftism is exactly the same.

Not knocking any of the posters here, but there is very stark differences in the two.

flkraven

If this is your argument that we're moving right/Trump is the direction the country is moving to because Hillary beat them both…I'ma need you to take another shot at this whole thing.

I'm saying that continuing to move further and further left doesn't just continue to add votes without losing any. Centrists need someone too.

Seiryoden

Oh boy, another one of those conversations where social leftism and fiscal leftism is exactly the same.

Not knocking any of the posters here, but there is very stark differences in the two.

Perhaps you'd care to expand upon those differences?

G.ZZZ

I see the usual shitty leftist propaganda. Clinton showed us the way for democrats to be loved: slash welfare, go hard on crime with a good crime reform, and slash regulations on bank that just burden the economy like the Glass-Steagall, a move that was widely praised and approved by extremely competent and bipartisanly liked economists of the likes of Greenspan, Rubin and Summers.
This is the only sustainable way forward for America. Corporations need that help or else they won't create jobs anymore and the economy will collapse.

jdstorm

Banned

This is blatantly untrue. Trump won the 2016 US election because the american people wanted change and he inspired that concept within his base more then Clinton did with hers.

A bold democratic party that is geared towards political reform (in a non evil way) and manages to communicate that to every state with compassion and humility will do very well.

As for Abortion. In spoilers since its a controversial topic
Pro Life vs Pro Choice is a PR battle that the "Pro Choice" side cannot win. You are arguing that women should have the right to kill babies. People don't want to be seen as voting for a party of babykillers.

Rebranding your platform and redefining the Abortion debate on different terms is the only way democrats will succeed in keeping their soul and selling it to the majority of Americans. Something like Pro Compassion vs Pro Shame is a much easier sell or even co opting the "Pro Life" term and pushing the Republican position to a more negative term is the only way forward.

So who should centrists vote for?

Whoever they want. Thats how democracy works. No candidate is ever perfect and when voting you are sometimes forced to choose the less bad candidate. However given the far right position and incompetance of this current administration i dont see how any reasonable person could consider themselves a centerist and still vote to support their policies.

I see the usual shitty leftist propaganda. Clinton showed us the way for democrats to be loved: slash welfare, go hard on crime with a good crime reform, and slash regulations on bank that just burden the economy like the Glass-Steagall, a move that was widely praised and approved by extremely competent and bipartisanly liked economists of the likes of Greenspan, Rubin and Summers.
This is the only sustainable way forward for America. Corporations need that help or else they won't create jobs anymore and the economy will collapse.

I'm genuinely not sure if you are serious.

G.ZZZ

I'm genuinely not sure if you are serious.

Images speak louder than words:

clintonsignsglasssteagallrepeal.gif

Even american patriots like McCain were there celebrating. That's how real governing work. You have to work with other side to get real good acts of legislation passed, like the financial services modernization act and the prison reform that Clinton did. We need to go back to that and work with the good people of the GOP once again.

Images speak louder than words:

clintonsignsglasssteagallrepeal.gif

Even american patriots like McCain were there celebrating. That's how real governing work. You have to work with other side to get real good acts of legislation passed, like the financial services modernization act and the prison reform that Clinton did. We need to go back to that and work with the good people of the GOP once again.

Lol ok got it

This is wrong. Trump was a reactionary choice for people who didn't feel like they had any say in the government. It was a "fuck you" vote.

Give people an actual choice which reflects what they want to say and they will win votes in a landslide. It's like people completely forgot how Obama won in 2008.
Obama was lightning in a bottle, the perfect storm, or whatever cliche you want to use. Damn near anyone running as a D was going to win. We just had eight years of Bush, it was also nice that white people got to assuage their guilt by voting for a perfect black man.

Funny thing Obama gets demonized by many on the progressive left because he is seen as too moderate, sell out, etc.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It's baffling that some people think the center is the way to go after what happened 2016. If you can't convince the center to vote against Trump in huge numbers, than you'll never convince them to vote for any democrat. You don't even necessarily have to go as far as Bernie, but you have to at least move toward him.

I guess even pragmatic centrists have a bias toward thinking their own beliefs are the most popular.

She's the splash of cold water to the face that drunken Washington needs from time to time. Shame she's too honest to be electable.

It's baffling that some people think the center is the way to go after what happened 2016. If you can't convince the center to vote against Trump in huge numbers, than you'll never convince them to vote for any democrat. You don't even necessarily have to go as far as Bernie, but you have to at least move toward him.

I guess even pragmatic centrists have a bias toward thinking their own beliefs are the most popular.

Centrism as it's defined in American politics has very little to do with where the actual center of public opinion is at any given time.

Top Bottom