• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wait what? You can't buy bc games on Xbox one without a credit card???

madmackem

Wow, just went to buy a game in bc on my Xbox one and loaded my account with more than enough to cover the price, went to buy it told I can not purchase it because I don't have a card on file. Wtf is this dumb shit, talk about anti consumer, there is zero zero chance of my putting my card on either of these consoles given the Fifa bull shit and the social engineering out there.

I just can't get my head around this, read it's because of some bullshit region thing well lock games out that weren't available in my area it's that fucking simple. What utter bollocks, never heard anything like it.

danowat

Banned
Buy it on Xbox.com, then it should pop be on your ready to install list

I still think you need to have a CC on file, it's something to do with region restrictions on the XB360.

It's been like it since day one, either don't buy them, or stick a CC on file (like millions of others do without any problems)

edit : thinking about it, it might be there to stop the issue of someone buying something from the wrong region, and it not working on their console, as BC XB360 games are region locked.

madmackem

I still think you need to have a CC on file, it's something to do with region restrictions on the XB360.

It's been like it since day one, either don't buy them, or stick a CC on file (like millions of others do without any problems)

No thanks I've managed a decade without putting a card on a console and I don't plan to now by force, it's stupid as fuck just don't allow me to buy games that arnt in my region they manage to offer that for normal purchases and offered that all the way through the 360 life cycle.

If you own an actual 360 you can buy them on there with store credit, it's really stupid but that's the only way you can. To be fair MS does have two step so maybe consider adding your CC or paypal?

danowat

Banned
No thanks I've managed a decade without putting a card on a console and I don't plan to now by force, it's stupid as fuck just don't allow me to buy games that arnt in my region they manage to offer that for normal purchases and offered that all the way through the 360 life cycle.

It may be stupid, but it is what it is, I don't get the CC paranoia, but whatever, it's your call.

If you own an actual 360 you can buy them on there with store credit, it's really stupid but that's the only way you can. To be fair MS does have two step so maybe consider adding your CC or paypal?

Yeah, this is correct.

As for paypal, you've got more chance of getting your money fleeced by paypal, than a CC.

madmackem

It may be stupid, but it is what it is, I don't get the CC paranoia, but whatever, it's your call.

Yeah, this is correct.
Given my personal situation which I won't go into dealing with a card being stolen in the past and my situation it's not as simple.

Rellik

Just remove your card details or paypal account after purchase if you're that paranoid. That's what I do.

Also activate 2FA,

Alienfan

Given my personal situation which I won't go into dealing with a card being stolen in the past and my situation it's not as simple.

Maybe buy a prezzy card / disposal visa, we have them in New Zealand (basically a gift card that let's you use it like a debit card),you load it up at the post office with whatever amount you want, it's not attached to your name, bank account or any personal information. I'd imagine there's something similar In the US. I know it's not ideal, but it would be a work around, not just for this xbox thing, but any other online shopping you did in the future :)

Maybe buy a prezzy card / disposal visa, we have them in New Zealand (basically a gift card that let's you use it like a debit card),you load it up at the post office with whatever amount you want, it's not attached to your name, bank account or any personal information. I'd imagine there's something similar In the US. I know it's not ideal, but it would be a work around, not just for this xbox thing, but any other online shopping you did in the future :)

Given how US works in this regard I would expect that such card exists but is detected by MS as not exposing owner's identity (which is apparently the issue in the first place, so UH) and blocked.

MilkyJoe

There are ways to protect yourself and the info on your account. Even then if you still don't want your financial info on the account you can just remove it after the fact.

I mean yea it's odd that they require a CC on file for a purchase but that's by no means "anti consumer." I'm convinced people have no idea what that phrase actually means anymore.

Yeah before they used PayPal, if I wanted to buy something I would add a card, buy it, remove the card. It was no real hardship.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yea even with Games with Gold...I needed to add my CC on file to redeem the 360 games.

For awhile I missed out on some 360 games because of this.

Paypal works huh...interesting.

Question, What if i got some of the gms in physical form out of the bc library, can i just pop it in the disctray without rebuying it?

Thx!

watdaeff4

It should work with Paypal. I recently downloaded the free 360 game using that and this was on my Xbox One console.

I realize it would work but the concern is ID theft and charges whether it be to a CC on file or to PayPal(which has a CC and/or your bank account tied to it)

Your post came across he wouldn't have to worry about it if he used PayPal and I'm wondering how it's any different

Schmitty

Just use a credit gift card. I have one of those Amex ones on file that have a zero balance

TheKeyPit

Banned
You can't use your balance on the website; the purchase for Xbox 360 games on Xbox One is the same process as on the website.

I don't know why they don't emulate the marketplace in the 360 guide along with the Xbox 360 games making purchases possible from within bc games.

Edit: I'm sure it could be possible to make a Xbox 360 store app that loads the Marketplace section from an emulated Xbox 360.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I realize it would work but the concern is ID theft and charges whether it be to a CC on file or to PayPal(which has a CC and/or your bank account tied to it)

Your post came across he wouldn't have to worry about it if he used PayPal and I'm wondering how it's any different

Ok, I havent used Paypal in a while but yea....this doesnt really solve anything for those that didnt want to use a credit card.

Hitta93

Banned

While it's a valid complaint, but if you're not going to do anything to fix the current situation...

Top Bottom