• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wal-Mart Canada to Close Unionized Quebec Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

explodet

http://www.reuters.ca/locales/c_new...?type=topNews&localeKey=en_CA&storyID=7585141

Wal-Mart Canada will close one of its two Quebec stores that won union certification last year after failing to reach a labor agreement, the retailer said on Wednesday.

The Canadian arm of U.S. retailing giant Wal-Mart Stores Inc. said its store in Jonquiere, Quebec, will close this spring after becoming the first unionized Wal-Mart in North America about six months ago.

Wal-Mart Canada said it advised the union last year when the bargaining process began that the store's financial situation was precarious.

"Despite this fact and nine separate days of meetings over a period of more than three months, the company has been unsuccessful in reaching an agreement with the union that would allow the store to operate efficiently and profitably," the company said in a release.
1) Another Canadian Wal-Mart closes down. How often do Wal-Mart stores close in the States?

2) Nine days? Is that really enough time for negotiations?

3) No matter how much they can try and spin this, this story really makes Wal-Mart look like a bunch of assholes.

kumanoki

Like Wal-Mart gives a rat's ass. It's not like anyone is going to stop shopping at Wal-Mart. They know that. Even bad publicity is good publicity when a company holds all the cards.

kumanoki

darscot said:
I dont think they legally can at least for several years.

Here's what Wally World legally can do to shut down its own union-run stores:

1. Neglect to stock the store. Or forget. Or something.
2. Hire non-unionized part-time employees that rotate shifts.
3. Make up some chart which states that the area doesn't need it's Wal-Marts.

For any Canadians interested, TSN is showing Edmonton vs Winnipeg NHL 1990 playoff hockey right now. Second period just started and it's already 3-2 Winnipeg.

android

Theoretical Magician
Mike Works said:
For any Canadians interested, TSN is showing Edmonton vs Winnipeg NHL 1990 playoff hockey right now. Second period just started and it's already 3-2 Winnipeg.
Winnipeg.... Winnipeg..... They had a NHL team? :D

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Mike Works said:

Holy crap!! Thanks man - I wish I saw this earlier though, gotta go throw in a tape. I didn't even know TSN did this. I miss the Jets :(

darscot

My fondest Winnipeg Jets memory is seeing Peca knock Selanee into next week and dumping a beer on my girlfriend (now wife) at the old Coliseum. Great game Van mopped the floor with them in a super physical game.

darscot

The guy was incredible in Sega NHL (94?) he just made huge saves. Used to drive me nuts as a friend would always use him and say Another Big Save By Bob... Another Big Save Bob. It eventually just stuck and he was forever "Big Save Bob".

SickBoy

explodet said:
[1) Another Canadian Wal-Mart closes down. How often do Wal-Mart stores close in the States?

Another? Which others have?

As for this closure, I doubt it reflects the store's true financial reality. I'm sure it's being done in no small part to create a union chill among other stores that are looking at unions (like a string of auto centre stores through BC)

Kon Tiki

Banned
Mike Works said:
This is really great. :D At the first hint of a lockout, TSN should of starting showing a full old season, complete with playoffs.

SickBoy

Hitokage said:
I'd like to know where Canadian law stands as far as union shops and such.

Labour laws vary by province -- provincial governments have the most significant jurisdiction over such laws (which is why a province like Alberta is less union friendly than, say B.C.)... although the federal government can also enact broad labour legislation as well.

Quebec's (en francais): http://www.crt.gouv.qc.ca/

I'd have thought Quebec would have some pretty pro-union laws...

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
explodet said:
3) No matter how much they can try and spin this, this story really makes Wal-Mart look like a bunch of assholes.

You're talking about a company that ranks ahead of Microsoft in terms of "bad" companies. Why would they care anymore about this?

shuri

Banned
Nerevar said:
You're talking about a company that ranks ahead of Microsoft in terms of "bad" companies. Why would they care anymore about this?

I would give my legs to work at microsoft.

teiresias

Microsoft is mainly termed "bad" in terms of corporate behavior at the industry level, whereas Wal-Mart holds that title at both the industry level and for worker relations. A friend of mine that works at MS loves it - or at least he did last time I talked to him.

explodet

On principle, I should be a little annoyed at the attempted threadjacking, but this Edmonton/Winnipeg game really is good!

Nerevar said:
IIRC, Walmart has been spending more money on their PR as they realize what a horrible image they have among some groups.

Phoenix

Naked Shuriken said:
I would give my legs to work at microsoft.

If you're a CS, math, engineering, and even english major there is a place for you at Microsoft. Microsoft hires obscene numbers of people per year - you don't need to give your legs, just apply and pass the interview.

Malakhov

Banned
Not surprised, I knew it would come down to this the moment I learned they had won union certification here in Quebec.

Phoenix said:
If you're a CS, math, engineering, and even english major there is a place for you at Microsoft. Microsoft hires obscene numbers of people per year - you don't need to give your legs, just apply and pass the interview.

English major? How? Technical writing?

Phoenix

Pedigree Chum said:
English major? How? Technical writing?

A variety of places: research, tech writing, software testing, product development (though you will need to be technical as well), etc. When I worked there I was very surprised with how diverse Microsoft was across a variety of majors/backgrounds.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
teiresias said:
I hear their programmers interviews are absolute murder.

Not really. they ask a lot of "non-linear thinking" questions and some VERY basic coding questions (I was required to do things like write a function that reversed all the characters in a word in a larger string, but preserved the word order - stuff like that). If you can keep your cool it's not too bad. The reputation is a bit out of hand, especially compared to what I've heard some investment banks ask (the stupid "how would you do ..." and then they keep taking options away and they literally COUNT how many stupid solutions you come up with).

Phoenix

teiresias said:
I hear their programmers interviews are absolute murder.

They aren't bad. They are just different and I appreciate them a lot more than the normal generic interviews. Microsoft's interviews try to measure how you think and if you're able to adapt to situations. These interviews are MUCH more useful because you can always teach the 'how' to people(not to mention that the how changes all the time).

Phoenix said:
A variety of places: research, tech writing, software testing, product development (though you will need to be technical as well), etc. When I worked there I was very surprised with how diverse Microsoft was across a variety of majors/backgrounds.

So basically Enghlish Lit majors are fucked? Sweet!

Shinobi

Hammy said:
IIRC, Walmart has been spending more money on their PR as they realize what a horrible image they have among some groups.

And they think pulling this shit will improve things? :lol Fucking scrots...

Jotaro

Banned
SickBoy said:
I'd have thought Quebec would have some pretty pro-union laws...

Believe me I know what I'm talking about, Quebec has some friggin' huge pro-union laws. It's just that some union leaders are corrupt, are bitter against the government and vice-versa, and currently, Quebec's PM has tried to enforce outsorcing upon unions, so they are all against him.

Jean Charest is the worst. quebecian politician. ever. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom