• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wall Street Journal :"PS4 Demand Exceeding Sony's Expectations

MMaRsu

Banned
Wall Street Jurnal got an article up on PS4 demand exceeding Sony's expectations.

"Sony (NYSE:SNE): Sony has raised its initial internal sales estimates for the PlayStation 4, based on early indications that demand will be stronger than though previously. Now, one of the largest concerns among managementis the supply necessary to meet said demand. With a $100 premium over the PS4 and tighter restrictions on game sharing, Microsoft’s (NASDAQ:MSFT) Xbox seems to be pushing more gamers Sony’s way."

You will need a wsj sub to finish the article.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323495604578540050412132898.html

Thanks to Zok310 for the heads up.

If Sony can get the Ps4 out before the Xbox One launches, and if reports by Wario64 are correct that the Ps4 will be stocked in more numbers than the Xbone then I foresee a great Sony future.

I forgot the "at the end though, if a mod could like edit that in or something that would be swell :).

kingmozo9

Banned
tbh for sony to truly unquestionably dominate, they would need to release before xbone WW .. just america, even early might not give them the massive gap this article suggests

16679d1360106825t-sony-teases-future-playstation-possible-ps4-announcement-incoming-ax14kah.gif

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
tbh for sony to truly unquestionably dominate, they would need to release before xbone WW .. just america, even early might not give them the massive gap this article suggests

They'll be launching in Europe this year. Of course that isn't enough to 'unquestionably dominate' so simply :)

They'll also be out in more territories worldwide than Microsoft probably quite a lot sooner if that talk about Asia being late 2014 for Xbox One is true, and with the seemingly more restricted rollouts in Europe.

knitoe

Of course, they are going to say that. True or not. When's the time you heard Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo or etc. say "preorders are running below expectation...?" That would be never.

Even with the additional price flexibility MS has, Sony winning the 2013/2014 sales race could prove to be critical for winning the entire generation. If they gather enough momentum, they are going to be very hard to stop.

zeopower6

Hope they can have enough supply for the holidays, or else we are in for a few months of empty shelves. Do not want scalpers. :(

JABEE

As Sony has said before, I wonder if this is going to make them funnel even more supply into the more contentious markets like North America and Europe at the expense of Asia. They still want a worldwide launch, but building the foundation in the West right away would lead to bigger mindshare among Western developers.

You can read WSJ articles without a subscription. Copy the title of the article. Open a Firefox window. In the upper right search bar paste the title. When Google brings it up click on the article and voila.

Pre ordered mine today. The Gamestop employee told me that demand has been much higher for the PS4 than the Xbox One and many people have cited power and price for that decision.

RMI

Banned
dominating. I wonder when microsoft will stop digging the xbone's grave and join the competition. Preordered my PS4, now I just need a release date.

More :

Andrew House, global head of Sony's PlayStation videogame business, said the company is shifting its internal projections for the product after favorable reactions to the company's presentation Monday at the Electronics Entertainment Expo here this week. He did not quantify those projections.

Jack Tretton, head of Sony Computer Entertainment of America, said GameStop Corp. executives had told him the company would buy "every single unit" Sony can manufacture if it could. "We're excited about the momentum," he said.

Mr. House said the enthusiasm, however, could lead to another problem: "Demand may well outstrip supply."

A GameStop spokeswoman confirmed that executives had expressed that sentiment. Amazon representatives didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

LQX

This time I'm willing to believe demand will exceed inventory unlike past years. Have 2 pre-orderd from different places just in case.

meow

I've been Nintendo-exclusive so far (except for a brief period with PS2 that my mom made us return) and I want one, ngl.

kaskade

I'm glad I got my amazon preorder in. No worries for me.

I think it would be smart if Sony could get the console out before MS. Cheaper price plus it's already out? I can see a lot of people trying to get it. They just need to ride the wave.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
They've given no forecast. I think you're referring to some BS Digitimes article :p

OK, you are probably right. You get so much info thrown at you these days its hard to keep track of where it comes from sometimes. Thanks for the clarification. :p

Mazzo

They got really close to get me interested in a PS4, if it wasn't the paid online I would probably be on board.

Playstation 4 is going to destroy the Xbox One in Europe harder than ever, so if they manage to sell better in the U.S too, then that's pretty much domination. Asia is a foregone conclusion.

Amir0x

Banned
Dang, they must have got some headrush type shit after that announcement. Must be some crazy strong indicators already that it's going to have a bomb holiday. Definitely think this one might actually sell out lol

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I do hope Sony wins this generation. They gave the best platform, and if games are lead dev on PS4 it means PC ports will look that much more awesome.

And remember when people said tablets would take over the video game market. lolol

Sony doesn't have yield issues, they have higher demand, and they're going to dominate Japan by default. I don't see how Sony is in an uphill battle. Microsoft would have to match their price, get rid of yield issues, and ditch DRM to level the playing field.

Yawnier

Banned
Sony have certainly turned things around since the early days of the PS3. I wish them a bunch of luck with the PS4.

JCreasy

Pre ordered mine today. The Gamestop employee told me that demand has been much higher for the PS4 than the Xbox One and many people have cited power and price for that decision.

image.php

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, are given a chance to climb. They refuse, they cling to the realm or the gods or love. Illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Top Bottom