• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wanderer |KS| Sci-fi cinematic platformer + Paper Mario-esque combat + adventure game

AmusedFarawayCock.gif

Site | Kickstarter | Steam Greenlight | TIGSource development thread
KS Trailer | Teaser

Wanderer tells the tale of a man called Rook, a greying convict who wakes from cold sleep aboard a massive orbital prison facility to find that it's crash landed on the ruins of an abandoned Earth. With the guidance of a hacker named Jin and the aid of a ragtag group of survivors he recruits along the way, Rook must locate and explore the nine cell blocks which have detached from the prison's central tower and scattered across Earth's ghostly wasteland.

AffectionateWindyChanticleer.gif

Along his mission, Rook will run into allies and adversaries in the form of dangerous fellow prisoners and bizarre parasitic extradimensional beasts that haunt the dead planet. Core gameplay fuses platforming, pseudo-turn based combat, puzzle solving, and interactive dialogue/decision making into a story driven, atmospheric experience. Tying it all together is a unique visual aesthetic that merges lo-res pixel art characters with a lovingly hand-painted world.

FrequentPeacefulCrocodile.gif

• Wanderer is a cinematic platformer at it’s core, a modernized take on classics like Another World, Flashback, and Heart of Darkness. Rook can walk, run, jump, crouch, and climb through the world. Additional movement abilities will be unlocked by the player as they advance, opening up the ways they can move around the environment.
  • When Rook makes contact with an enemy on the 'field', the game switches to JRPG style pseudo turn-based combat (allowing the player to control all three current party members). Wanderer's battle system design is influenced by RPGs including Paper Mario, Valkyrie Profile, and Rogue Galaxy.
  • As Rook explores and moves through the world he'll find points of interest represented by nodes that can be interacted with in familiar "point and click" adventure game fashion (look at, talk about/to, use item with, pick-up etc.).
  • Along Rook's mission, the player will have the opportunity to interact with a colorful and varied cast of characters via branching dialogue choices. The way the player chooses to respond to other characters will affect how they view him, and key points in the story will present the player with multiple ways to handle a scenario, each potentially leading to lasting consequences.

O2GTdws.png

MinorLimitedGroundbeetle.gif

Here's an in-depth breakdown of the combat from the game's Collective page
http://collective.square-enix.com/projects/140/wanderer/updates/113/kill-or-be-killed

Combat in Wanderer is all about managing the 4 resources each character has, each which has various offensive/defensive strategic uses and differing levels of risk vs reward. At a glance, the combat structure will be fairly familiar to any JRPG fans. Reminiscent of Final Fantasy's ATB system, each character has a turn counter which slowly fills over time. When it fills, that character becomes available for action; you can command a character to attack, defend, use a skill, or use an item. Each character has a different turn counter speed, so some will be able to act more often than others.

first_strike.png
battle_system_mockup9_attacks.png

ricki42

Platforms are Windows, Mac, Linux.
Game looks interesting, but I'm not really a fan of the art style.
3-4 months between episodes also sounds like something I'd rather buy when all episodes are released.

I love the look of it but only really want it on PS4/Vita. If it gets close to that goal I'm going to pitch in. Hope it funds either way though.

Brofield

Damn, I'm in.

Wii U stretch goal must be astronomical, but I'd love to see it ported to PS4. I'll be putting in my donation when I see my next paycheque.

Top Bottom