• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Want to buy a flat-screen monitor, help!

Okay, I want to get rid of my big clunky nasty CRT and get a cool sexy awesome flat-screen monitor. HOWEVER, I have heard horror stories from gamers about how these monitors have terrible refresh rates, the ghosting is atrocious, they don't work with certain games, etc. So I figured I'd ask you guys for advice.

1) The resolution is hard-wired, right? I assume I'll want at least 1280x1024.
2) Any particular brands you would/would not recommend?
3) How much should I expect to spend for a decent monitor?

I'm not a psychotic FPS gamer who demands 240 fps in Quake III or anything, so as long as the monitor can handle 60 fps or so I'll be fine. I just don't want to drop $500+ on a monitor and have the games I do play look like crap.

Thanks!

Culex

Banned
I'm running on a 19 in. LCD Samsung Syncmaster 192N. Best 650 dollars I spent last year. I'm sure you can get the model up from it for about 550 dollars now. Go LCD: contrast, lumins, ghosting are all improved now. Look for anything under 25 ms for the screen refresh.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Shit, that really sucks then...

I know someone who just purchased a $1000+ 19" monitor + TV LCD panel. It looks FANTASTIC with still images...but in motion, it is just shit. There is nothing you can do, there will be ghosting issues. When I did use that LCD, I found gaming almost unbearable and most of us agreed.

LCDs have their uses, but gaming is not one of them. If you have no choice, though, it's better than nothing...

You'll need to hit 16ms or lower refresh in order to nearly remove all ghosting issues. In comparison, CRTs fall below 1ms (if judged on a similar scale).

dark10x said:
LCDs have their uses, but gaming is not one of them. If you have no choice, though, it's better than nothing...

Hrms. I can prolly squeeze a CRT in if I add a drop-down tray under my desk for my keyboard. This is the way!

I own a Viewsonic VP181b and I truly love this TFT. It makes no trouble with playing 3D-Games, Video Files of anything else.
The res. is 1280x1024 and I do not want a CRT ever agin on my desk.
It is an 18" monitor.

I recommend this oine to you :)
I payed 619 € in February.

ERZ

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm hoping that the day LCD solves it's issues will come sooner rather than later, but for now, I have yet to find one that doesn't make me roll my eyes the very second when I move the mouse pointer on the screen or, God forbid, move the window around. Ghosting is truly one hideous thing. I also find the color reproduction to be generally worse than on high end tubes, and that is of utmost importance for my work.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
^^^

That's the one. Just got mine. 12ms is the truth!

jonhuz

I'm running A Samsung Syncmaster 193t. Top quality, however, it is 25ms, but I rarely notice any ghosting. Good look finding a 19" + under 25ms.

b2c_l_172x-silver.jpg

Got my 172x just recently too...great monitor, very nice =)

I don't notice any ghosting while playing games like Call of Duty on my PC.

Do a search on Pricegrabber.com to find it at the lowest price.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I had been looking at LCD monitors for months. Was going to get the NEC before I came across the beauty posted above.

Why are there no 16:9 LCD (non TV) monitors?

Top Bottom