• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

war games

fresquito

There're lots of war based videogames, I'd even say that as of late, they've increased in number. I'm wondering how many of them take war or soldiers' role and actions from a serious point of view. War ain't any fun, and I've not seen that many games that deal with such things as consequences, innocent casualties and the like. Do you know of good examples of games that take such topics with an interesting or real point of view from the player's perspective? So to say, war games that are actually very critic with war. That's been the case for some of the best war movies, but I miss such a take on videogames.

We're slowly heading there on one level whether developers like it or not because of more realistic graphics. The more believable and emotional characters become, the more real their pain and suffering feels. A notable point for myself was Soldier of Fortune 2, and accidently blasting a maid with a shotgun once, and seeing her pathetically try to keep her guts from spewing out of her gored torso with pain wretched and animating/developing realistically on her face.

It's something that comes up in GTA violence discussions a lot. Care-free violence is fun when it feels comical, but what about when graphics get so realistic that it feels more realistic and emotional than a movie? Don't get me wrong, I love my game violence, and I don't want to see anything change. But none-the-less, I think there will be a point where games and the characters in them (and the emotions they invoke) will become so realistic that the thought of beating some 35 year old woman to death with a baseball bat will cross a sensitivity threshold with many people.

Anyone remember that video from E3 with a woman crying? I recall a post on IGN asking if people would be able to shoot her in the head in that scene, and a surprising amount of people (if I remember correctly) said they just wouldn't feel comfortable. She just felt too real to them.

I realize your topic was more directed at content and how it rarely concentrates on the horrors of war, and to that I have little to add. Fact of the matter is, developers by and large still want to make war fun, and true horror isn't fun. However, some of those horrors will become more realistic as a side-effect of our desire for more realistic visuals.

Zenith

Banned
some Vietnam game made some big song-and-dance about showing graphic depictions of atrocities but it was all BS.

my pet hate is how war games are practically devoid of civilians so you can't get any idea of how collateral damage works. GRAW, Delta Force and even OFP practically empty apart from enemies.

Tieno

You know what I'd like to see? A World War II RPG, I'd like to see if someone can make that work.

fresquito

I pretty much agree with you, KyanMehwulfe. Obviously graphical upgrades are helping in the matter, but as you say, I was talking a bit more about content and direction.

fresquito said:
There're lots of war based videogames, I'd even say that as of late, they've increased in number. I'm wondering how many of them take war or soldiers' role and actions from a serious point of view. War ain't any fun, and I've not seen that many games that deal with such things as consequences, innocent casualties and the like. Do you know of good examples of games that take such topics with an interesting or real point of view from the player's perspective? So to say, war games that are actually very critic with war. That's been the case for some of the best war movies, but I miss such a take on videogames.

Heck, im still waiting for a good vietnam game. The only one worth playing is old..which is Vietcong on the PC, its dated as hell. Thats the only good vietnam fps there is...

JRPereira

I played the demo for CoH - even when I was winning, it still felt like I was ****ed. Very war-is-hell ish. Very nice dialogue - reminded me of band of brothers.

No civvies though.

Like someon else said, we're getting there. CoD2 takes itself very seriously and does a great depiction of some of the horror of war. But eventually, it's going to get to a point where I don't think developers will feel comfortable doing it. Imagine graphics so detailed that when you shoot someone they have a realistic face and you actually feel bad about it. Developers might be very wary about crossing that line.

fresquito

AlanHemberger said:
Like someon else said, we're getting there. CoD2 takes itself very seriously and does a great depiction of some of the horror of war. But eventually, it's going to get to a point where I don't think developers will feel comfortable doing it. Imagine graphics so detailed that when you shoot someone they have a realistic face and you actually feel bad about it. Developers might be very wary about crossing that line.
But that's not only for ware games, but for every action game.

What I mean is that most war games today have a message of glory or heroeness. I'd like to see war games that are built around a totally different idea, a more true to reality one (although it might be quite shocking to play such a game).

Llyranor

I thought you meant games like this

s313_COTAScreenshot12.jpg

I love wargames.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
AlanHemberger said:

I think CoD2 is one of the worst examples of a WW2 game that is a realistic portrayal. The lack of anything resembling real gore, the mindless AI, the hordes of weak badguys being mowed down by small American squads, the general sparseness of civilians...in a way, I think the game does disrespect to real war.

Top Bottom