• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III |OT| This one really is Warcraft 4

the game should've been priced more competitively. had it come with a 4th race or at the very least a much expanded land stand mode, sega could've justified launching at $60 but just barely. no game should have any business selling at that price unless it's a triple a budget title in today's market.

the game will see a majority of its sales through steam sales and if they really knock last stand out the park, it'll be fine. at least i hope so

It had the budget. CoH2 expansions aside, Relic has spent 5 years with the team of 100+ employees prototyping two Warhammer games which got fused together into DoW3.

teepo

It had the budget. CoH2 expansions aside, Relic has spent 5 years with the team of 100+ employees prototyping two Warhammer games which got fused together into DoW3.

coh2 couldn't even justify being sold as a $60 title in today's market despite being obviously more expensive to produce than dow3

zoukka

the game should've been priced more competitively. had it come with a 4th race or at the very least a much expanded land stand mode, sega could've justified launching at $60 but just barely. no game should have any business selling at that price unless it's a triple a budget title in today's market.

the game will see a majority of its sales through steam sales and if they really knock last stand out the park, it'll be fine. at least i hope so

This is exactly what I meant by saying "RTS games are dead". This game has three completely different races with unique mechanics and very nice balance. And it doesn't even copy any existing RTS games directly, but innovates on many areas. Developing a game like this costs A TON. It's definitely a AAA-game.

But these are things that aren't valued anymore as much as they used to be.

But I agree with you guys in that Relic should listen to the fans and bring some co-op content to the game if so many people want it. But none of that matters too much since the sales are zero atm.

It doesn't make sense they didn't prioritize a co-op Last Stand mode. The framework is already there (Elite units with distinct abilities, Doctrines could be used instead of Wargear) and it was a huge hit in DoW2.

I really feel like Relic should have delayed this game to at least July, but I'm guessing Sega wouldn't allow that.

grendelrt

It doesn't make sense they didn't prioritize a co-op Last Stand mode. The framework is already there (Elite units with distinct abilities, Doctrines could be used instead of Wargear) and it was a huge hit in DoW2.

I really feel like Relic should have delayed this game to at least July, but I'm guessing Sega wouldn't allow that.
Seriously still flabbergasted last stand was not in, the mode was so damn popular they sold it separate from the base game for 10 dollars. It was my most played mode in retribution.

Aangster

At this stage, Relic needs to communicate its post-launch intentions. Despite a stronger launch, the userbase decline is looking shambolic as CoH 2 numbers rise thanks to the recent sale. Regardless of whether it released unbaked or not, how about a damn roadmap?

Relic's produced another sequel with new design directions, I can respect that and honestly don't mind the changes to fundamental gameplay mechanics. However, what baffles me is the lack of content to justify the new systems. There's not enough maps, not enough different modes, and not enough races/units. Even with friends, the value proposition of buying DoW III is hardly there.

Something else I want to voice: the campaign being awful on all counts. How the fuck was this made? Somehow Relic's managed to produce something worse than vanilla CoH 2's singleplayer narrative. It's not going to please past players who've fought through the Aurelian Crusades of DoW 2 (+ expansions) and its completely bland to newcomers, especially those coming from StarCraft. There's banal mission types and terrible gameplay pacing. Macha fanservice and Ork humour aren't enough to save the horrid writing, uninspiring dialogue, and lack of world-building. DoW III's a Warhammer 40k title that does little to craft the atmosphere of a 40k world. Everything is basically pushed aside to promote elite units and the multiplayer experience, it's pathetic.

This honestly leaves another question, why should we give a fuck about spending more on upcoming (expansion?) content involving
Necrons
and other new races?

zoukka

This honestly leaves another question, why should we give a fuck about spending more on upcoming (expansion?) content involving
Necrons
and other new races?

They banked on the multiplayer 100% and failed apparently. I'm sad and bitter, since this is the best RTS available atm for me and to see all that work go to waste when nobody plays it breaks my heart.

Fuck.

They banked on the multiplayer 100% and failed apparently. I'm sad and bitter, since this is the best RTS available atm for me and to see all that work go to waste when nobody plays it breaks my heart.

Fuck.
Agreed. I absolutely love the multiplayer....but I can hardly find games. Anyone here wants to team up and do any 2v2, send me a random invite on steam. VincentAlexander. I'll gladly play some rounds here and there.

grendelrt

Agreed. I absolutely love the multiplayer....but I can hardly find games. Anyone here wants to team up and do any 2v2, send me a random invite on steam. VincentAlexander. I'll gladly play some rounds here and there.
I have a friend that I do games against the cpu if you want to join us, we haven't done player matches yet. Steam name is grendelrt as well.

Stevey

New stuff.

Hey everyone!

It's been a wild ride since the release of Dawn of War III – a game we loved making and are so glad to finally have in your hands. We're thrilled to put out a new installment after an eight-year hiatus, we're proud of the innovations we've made within the genre, and we think the game is full of potential.

But...we're humans who have the internet. We know there are lots of you who don't feel the same way. That matters. We make these games for you, and we need you in order to keep making games. So, let's talk about where we go from here.

Dawn of War III was meant to reunite our Dawn of War and Dawn of War II fans with a bombastic, action-RTS packed with incredible heroes, giant space lasers, and whole, new planets made of things that go BOOM. While we've checked those boxes, it's clear that those weren't the only things that you were looking for. So, what now?

It started at launch by keeping our eyes and ears open. We spend a LOT of time on the forums, and just as much looking through the data on what you're playing, and what you're not. We're using that to plot out our next steps and are hoping to share plans with you soon, and get you involved in how we bring them to life. But that takes time.

So, what happens in the short term? Great question...

ANNIHILATION MODE
To start, we're going back to our roots with new multiplayer modes that challenge you to wipe out every last Waaagh Tower and Webway Gate to earn that victory screen. Get ready for Annihilation Mode. Wait, make that: Annihilation MODES.

Dawn of War I fans will feel right at home in Annihilation Classic. To win, you'll need to destroy the core structures of your opponent. It's tough, but we've added a couple tools to help you out: new doctrines that will let you build faction-specific turrets throughout the map.

Want a headstart? Load up Annihilation with Defenses to kick off the match with several of these turrets already installed throughout the map, buying you more time to build up your army. Both modes will be available in Custom Match for 1v1, 2v2, and 3v3.

We'll be releasing a video on later this week with more information, and debuting the mode live on Twitch at 10AM PST on Friday, June 16th. Keep your eyes peeled!

TURRET DOCTRINES
And those fancy new turrets? You won't need to hand in your hard-earned Skulls for them. We'll release them unlocked, for all players, for use across all multiplayer modes. Turtlers rejoice! You'll have new defensive strategies to play with, and against, in no time. Here's your first look at one of them in action:

The turret doctrines won't be available in campaign mode, but it is something we're going to take a look at. No promises, but we'll see what's possible and get back to you.

NEW MAP: MORTIS VALE
All existing multiplayer maps have been retrofitted to play host to Annihilation showdowns, but we're happy to share the brand new Mortis Vale map – a fresh battlefield to burn to the ground! We'll share a closer look at Mortis Vale next week, but here's just a taste of what to expect. And yes, this map will be equally available to load up in Power Core!

ENGINES OF ANNIHILATION
We're sneaking one more treat in for you. Get ready to bring glory to the battlefield with the free Engines of Annihilation skin pack! Send out your super walkers in style with the House Raven skin for the Imperial Knight Paladin, the Exalted skin for the Wraithknight, and the Deathskulls skin for the Gorkanaut. We hope you like them!

This will all go live in our Annihilation Update on Tuesday, June 20th.

We know this is just a start, but it's an important one. And it helps us say thanks to each and every one of you for playing, posting, and yes – even some of the yelling. It hasn't fallen on deaf ears.

We'll start with the Annihilation Update, we'll keep listening, and together, we'll keep moving forward.

For the Emperor!
Sounds great

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
"But…we’re humans who have the internet. We know there are lots of you who don’t feel the same way. That matters. We make these games for you, and we need you in order to keep making games. So, let’s talk about where we go from here."

Maybe the realist shit I've heard a developer say.

Jinaar

I've just gotten into playing Starcraft 2 Co-Op Missions which have been alot of fun. Stuff like that would be great to have in DoWIII. I like playing against others but its nice to have the option to work with a friend on defeating a mission together.

Or better yet, gimme Last Stand. Either or, diversity is good and this patch might be fun.

Kalnos

Banned
It's a nice statement but I think they're going to have to do something extreme to bring people back in numbers. Make the game free (or like sub $15), add maps, add annihilation (check) and last stand, add basic options (keybinds).

I like the game so I hope they keep communicating like this.

K.Jack

I am shocked, that Last Stand doesn't seem to be near the to of their priority list.

Da fuck are you gits doing? Surely Relic knows that it was by far the most popular and played part of DoW2....

grendelrt

I am still regularly playing the game and really enjoy it. I hope they can recover from their horrible launch. If they had one more game mode in at launch I think they would have been much better off.

Palehorse

Long time DOW fan here. I was initially very excited for DOW3 and was looking forward to a further iteration on the DOW formula.

Impressions and reviews came out on release and didn't spell a great picture for SP, which is where I have fun. The complaints I read about were a boring campaign with little variety? So I didn't buy it. I wanted to, a lot.

It looks like they're looking to massage MP to bring in more fans, which is great, I really want Relic to do well.

That post shown above shows they're open to change but I doubt that refers to the campaign. No money there? That drop pod has landed? In any case I'll keep watching for any changes in the SP.

Well, in case any Relicans are reading, keep fighting the good fight and I hope for many more years of DOW/COH/whatever.

For the Emperor indeed.

Tacitus_

Guys, of I enjoy SP only do I play DoW 2 + expansions or this one? (Already have DoW 2)
Not really interested in multi

Do you want to build your own armies or control a small elite unit? DOW3 if you want armies, DOW2 if you want small numbers of elites.

Jinaar

Guys, of I enjoy SP only do I play DoW 2 + expansions or this one? (Already have DoW 2)
Not really interested in multi

Also if you want to collect loot and build each individual hero unit you have uniquely to your game style.

DoWII is still the GOAT for me. Even the multiplayer, which I didn't play much, I do enjoy more then the current DoWIII MP. Still Last Stand is the best of the best out of DoWII.

Also if you want to collect loot and build each individual hero unit you have uniquely to your game style.

DoWII is still the GOAT for me. Even the multiplayer, which I didn't play much, I do enjoy more then the current DoWIII MP. Still Last Stand is the best of the best out of DoWII.

Thanks a lot guys, I saw in the title Warcraft 4 and wondered if this is the one (love W3) thats why I asked.

What is this Last Stand? I only have Retribution and Chaos Rising expansions. In what order should I play them?

The new patch is out.

Hi everyone!

Thanks for sharing all your great feedback with us after our Community Update last week. We appreciate your patience with us. We're so excited to release our major Annihilation Update today. Get ready to wipe the floor with your foes in our new multiplayer mode!!

Headlining this update are two new Annihilation modes, which work in Custom matches on all existing maps including our new release, Mortis Vale. This new battlefield is available for 2v2 and 3v3 across all multiplayer modes, boasting an open feel with lots of flanking opportunities.
We're also introducing three new doctrines (one per faction) that allow the construction of turrets. These doctrines will be automatically unlocked for all players and can be used in Power Core mode or in the new Annihilation modes.

As a final token of our appreciation, we're adding three Elite skins to your inventories - House Raven Imperial Knight Paladin, Exalted Wraithknight, and the Deathskulls Gorkanaut. We call them our Engines of Annihilation. Just log in, equip them, and bring the pain!
There's plenty more to dig into below. Take a look and hit up the forums if you have any questions. We'll be at the ready.

Thanks again, and enjoy!

Patch notes here

zoukka

Game is just dead. I just got matched with the winner of the last tournament they hosted... he was sorry about it at least :b

daedalius

My friend and I were playing tonight and decided they really need to make a mode where you can just control your elites and the bases spawn hordes of regular units for you to chew through, as that is what it feels like to us as terrible players anyway.

I loved DoW2's multiplayer, wtf happened?

grendelrt

My friend and I were playing tonight and decided they really need to make a mode where you can just control your elites and the bases spawn hordes of regular units for you to chew through, as that is what it feels like to us as terrible players anyway.

I loved DoW2's multiplayer, wtf happened?
That's basically the last stand mode from dow2. You pick an elite and fend off 20 waves of enemies with up 3 other people. Favorite mode for me, hope we still get it :/

daedalius

That's basically the last stand mode from dow2. You pick an elite and fend off 20 waves of enemies with up 3 other people. Favorite mode for me, hope we still get it :/

I meant more of a specific MOBA mode with elites, but I did play a ton of last stand in dow2

IpKaiFung

After playing dow3 for a few months I still think the game is butt. I hope Relic will learn for the next time because I dont see them salvaging this train wreck.

I am still kind of in shock tha ti have not bought this game. I bought all dawn of war games day and date on PC (and even beforehand with the original for the beta purposes).

Reading all the veteran player and GAF impressions has heavily pushed me away from buying it, so thanks for that GAF. I hope that they can salvage the gameplay and make it much more tactical and fluff accurate in expansions and patches.

I am still kind of in shock tha ti have not bought this game. I bought all dawn of war games day and date on PC (and even beforehand with the original for the beta purposes).

Reading all the veteran player and GAF impressions has heavily pushed me away from buying it, so thanks for that GAF. I hope that they can salvage the gameplay and make it much more tactical and fluff accurate in expansions and patches.
I've been having loads of fun playing the multiplayer with my friend, just doing skirmishes against AI. As well, I'm on my second play through of the campaign, this time on hard difficulty. If you can find it for 20-25, I would recommend it. Much higher though...meh. Might want to hold off.

Bizazedo

So I just got a 50% off coupon for this offered on Steam. I've wanted it for awhile, but early reviews put me off. How is it these days?

Laiza

Something else I want to voice: the campaign being awful on all counts. How the fuck was this made? Somehow Relic's managed to produce something worse than vanilla CoH 2's singleplayer narrative. It's not going to please past players who've fought through the Aurelian Crusades of DoW 2 (+ expansions) and its completely bland to newcomers, especially those coming from StarCraft. There's banal mission types and terrible gameplay pacing. Macha fanservice and Ork humour aren't enough to save the horrid writing, uninspiring dialogue, and lack of world-building. DoW III's a Warhammer 40k title that does little to craft the atmosphere of a 40k world. Everything is basically pushed aside to promote elite units and the multiplayer experience, it's pathetic.
I am genuinely mystified by this impression. I actually think DoW III's campaign is one of the better ones in the series - certainly better than the campaigns of DoW I and Winter Assault, at the very least. It doesn't have the war game feel of Dark Crusade or Soulstorm, nor the intimacy or the addicting loot grind of DoW II & Chaos Rising, but they did a good job at selling the atmosphere of a universe constantly at war, gave us some fun characters to follow, and gave us some very challenging scenarios to overcome (the one Space Marine mission where you have to complete it purely with reinforcements you find in particular was quite difficult to get through on hard). Granted, far more Space Marines died in battle than would ever be justifiable in lore, but the sheer scale of the destruction also makes me very curious how they can possibly follow up on this.

But eh, I'm clearly in the minority on this one. Just one of those things, I guess.

K.Jack

It's the worst campaign since DoW1 and Winter Assault, which means a lot, since those were the worst ones coming into DoW3.

osirisob

Neo Member
I am genuinely mystified by this impression. I actually think DoW III's campaign is one of the better ones in the series - certainly better than the campaigns of DoW I and Winter Assault, at the very least. It doesn't have the war game feel of Dark Crusade or Soulstorm, nor the intimacy or the addicting loot grind of DoW II & Chaos Rising, but they did a good job at selling the atmosphere of a universe constantly at war, gave us some fun characters to follow, and gave us some very challenging scenarios to overcome (the one Space Marine mission where you have to complete it purely with reinforcements you find in particular was quite difficult to get through on hard). Granted, far more Space Marines died in battle than would ever be justifiable in lore, but the sheer scale of the destruction also makes me very curious how they can possibly follow up on this.

But eh, I'm clearly in the minority on this one. Just one of those things, I guess.

I think the reasons you listed for liking it are it's strong points. I was personally disappointed that the campaign jumped between the three factions, never really let you freely build on your own, and really forced you to focus on the specific objectives like "jump to this platform using X skill ... now jump to this platform using X skill." These mad it feel like it was on rails. I think most people were looking for either 3 distinct campaigns with their own stories, or something more like Soulstorm / Dark Crusade (this is what I wanted).

I also felt that at certain points in every stage things turned into a mosh pit and kind of broke down. I'd feel like I was in control and organized in the beginning, but by the end of the map I'd feel like I was just mass producing whatever was available to build and sending it to it's death in a slow game of attrition - this might have been me not getting the hang of the game, though.

I'm having a blast with this online, after the latest patch the races are fairly balanced. Game is super smooth, graphics and animation is top notch, even the music is good. Also, in Europe you can get games pretty quickly. The talk of dead servers is not the case where I'm sitting.

Unfortunately the game has attracted legions of trolls/haters (dunno if these are childish W40K fans or DoW1 diehards) on the Steam forums but hopefully the Necron's DLC/expansion washes away this OTT negativity.

I'm not expecting there to be a Necron DLC/expansion.

I don't understand this belief that's spreading. Far less commercially successful RTS's have received expansions and all this talk of Relic releasing devs is overblown as this is the usual cycle for developers after a title has shipped.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
New patch today:

We've removed in-game currency (Skulls) - which means you no longer need to purchase Elites and doctrines. With the exception of Elite level and campaign progression rewards, all content will be automatically unlocked for both new and veteran players.

We've made some slight changes to the front end; it's now much easier to jump into a custom match versus AI after completing campaign missions.

Should have been this way from the beginning and does nothing to salvage the POS campaign. :(

K.Jack

New patch today:

Should have been this way from the beginning and does nothing to salvage the POS campaign. :(

Yep. Forcing you to grind to access MP content is literally one of the worst things a developer can do. They should've dropped Skulls a long time ago.

Bolivar687

Banned
https://youtube.com/watch?v=-sOv-4KeWLs

Pretty significant update out today, and the game's 50% off and free for the weekend. Three new maps (one for each player count), three new Elites (one for each faction), and a bunch of new skins. Most importantly, health for the infantry units has been boosted by 30% to make the them a bit more durable, so games aren't over within the first few minutes because of aggressive early-game Elite play.

I've always felt DoW3 is classic RTS Micro & Macro at its finest and player counts are already way up so now's a great time to check it out if you haven't yet or to jump back in.

Top Bottom