• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 |OT| FOR THE EMPEROR!!

DOW2TheadImage.jpg

Ask and you shall receive - the Official Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2 Thread! :)

In the Grim Darkness of the Far Future there is only War.

Release Dates -- Heresy grows from idleness...

North America: February 19th, 2009

European Union (and Aus): February 20th, 2009

Asia: February 19th, 2009 (Link) - the only info I could find.

** Some stores have broken street dates
** Games purchased early will not be able to be activated on Steam until the 19th of Feb

Relic Post: Australian owners - "Please be advised that customers will be able to activate and play Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II after: 12:01am (Perth, Australia Time) on 19th February 2009"

Game Details and Features -- Knowledge is power. Guard it well.

Developed by award winning Relic Entertainment, Dawn of War II ushers in a new chapter in the acclaimed Real-Time Strategy series - taking players to the brutal frontlines of war to lead an elite strike force on a mission to save the galaxy.

It is the 41st Millennium in Sub-Sector Aurelia - a cluster of worlds on the edge of the Galaxy - and a battle of epic proportions is about to begin. Ancient races will clash across the planets that dot this section of space, battling for the greatest of stakes - not only the claim to the land and its bounty - but the fate of each race.

With a focus on fast-action RTS gameplay, Dawn of War II brings to life the science fiction universe of Warhammer 40,000 like never before. Experience the intimate brutality of battle as you play through the epic campaign. Clash with enemies on battlefields ablaze with visceral hand-to-hand and ranged combat. Lead and develop your squads into the most battle hardened elite strike force in the Galaxy.

* Simplified Entry Point - Whether you're new to the genre or a seasoned veteran, Dawn of War II gets you into the action quickly and easily. Learn the game at your own pace and get ready to save the galaxy.

* Brutal Frontline Action and Tactics - Get straight into the action and experience intense hand-to-hand and devastating ranged combat. Use vicious close-combat to obliterate your enemies. Outsmart your opponents - using dynamic and destructible environments to suppress, flank and destroy your foes.

* Epic Single Player Campaign - Command an elite strike force, developing the skills and abilities of your squads and commander as you progress through the game.

* Co-Op Campaign - Play through the entire single player campaign co-operatively with a friend, at any point in the game, anytime.

* Persistent Long-Term Goals - Customize your Space Marines with persistent leveling and unlockable special abilities. Equip them with the hundreds of unique weapons and items you earn through mission rewards and battlefield drops.

* Next Generation RTS Engine - Utilizing Relic's proprietary Essence Engine 2.0 to deliver cinematic visuals, detailed graphics and special effects.
Technical Support Forums Here

First Retail Patch Post-Launch -- Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

Entire Changelist here: http://community.dawnofwar2.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9771

PVP Changes ...
• Added two new maps to PvP automatch rotation.
• Fixed a bug where ability effects were permanent on burrowed units.
• Fixed several population capacity bugs.
• Fixed problem with retreating to allied HQ when player's HQ is destroyed.
• Fixed attack ground to allow firing into the Fog of War.
• Prevented Waaagh/Zeal/Biomass/Psychic Might "double dipping" when own units are killed by friendly fire, and remove reward for allied friendly fire.
• Prevented non-attacking commanders from getting a share of XP for incomplete construction.
• Added cool down timers to construction abilities.
• Prevented anti-suppression from being modified into the positive.
• Prevented area of effect suppression originating from target entities inside of buildings from spreading to units outside a building. ...

Misc. Changes ...
• Changed the kick-vote screen; removed the confirmation prompt, removed ability to abstain, added display of number of lag complaints. ...

The Deal with Steam and GFWLive -- Innocence proves nothing.

If you buy the game at Retail, you must download and install Steam (available here). You'll be asked to put in your Product Key (like a CD Key) and the game will be a part of your Games List in Steam. Same as in Half-Life 2.

If you buy the game electronically, you'll likely receive a Product Key which you would also put into Steam (Activate a Product button).

If you buy the game via Steam... well... then it's pretty straightforward.

Games for Windows Live is an in-game service where you can use your Xbox 360 GamerTag to play online. You are also able to sign up for a free Silver Live account which allows online play.

System Specs -- Dark dreams lie upon the heart.

Minimum Requirements –

* Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista SP1
* P4 3.2 GHz (single core) or any Dual Core processor
* 1 GB RAM (XP), 1.5 GB RAM (Vista)
* A 128MB Video Card (Shader Model 3) - Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT / ATI X1600, or equivalent
* 5.5 GB of Hard Drive space

Recommended –

* Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista SP1
* AMD Athlon 64×2 4400+ or any Intel Core 2 Duo
* 2 GB RAM (XP and Vista)
* A 256MB Video Card (Shader Model 3) - Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT / ATI X1900, or equivalent
* 5.5 GB of Hard Drive space

Box Art -- Power resides in the will of the righteous.

dawnofwar2box2.jpg

Warhammer_40%2C000_Dawn_of_War_II.jpg

Some Reviews -- Blind Faith is a Just cause.

Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/warhammer40000dawnofwar2

Total PC Gaming: 90/100

Game Informer: 88/100 (Full Review)

IGN.com: 9/10 (Full Review)

Gamespy.com: 90 (Full Review)

Eurogamer: 8/10 (Full Review[/URL})

Media -- There is no time for peace. No respite. No forgiveness. There is only War.

Official Site: [url]http://www.dawnofwar2.com/us/home

Community Blog: http://community.dawnofwar2.com/main.php

Official Forums: http://community.dawnofwar2.com/index.php

'Tyranid Infestation' - GameTrailers

'Real Life Rhino' - GameTrailers

Cinematic Trailer - GameTrailers

Cinematic Trailer 'Alternate Ending' - GameTrailers

Life-Size Space Marine @ Gamespot AU

Tales of War Podcast Release Party! Thursday, February 19th, 2009 - 7:00pm EST

GamerTags & Steam IDs -- Duty prevails.

Xbox Live Tags

Steam IDs

Goodies -- Look upon the Emperor's works and tremble.

Aurelian Campaign Prelude I
Aurelian Campaign Prelude II
Aurelian Campaign Prelude III

DOW2Thread-Carnifex_by_Zen_Master3.jpg

Thought for the Day: Cowards Die in Shame.

-

So can someone explain to me; if I buy this retail, I can unlock it on Steam as though I'd bought it on Steam? Just like I did with UT3? That's the gist of what I'm getting from people complaining about their broken street release date copies...

Also Eurogamer are giving away unlock codes for all 5 of the pre-order wargears every day this week at 12pm UK time (its about 11pm UK time as I write this, so do your own math) so you get to shop around for the best price! Score.

Mrbob

I'm digging the space marines in DoW2. I normally didn't use the Terran in Starcraft (Unless I chose random and got stuck with them), nor the Space Marines in Dawn of War, but I really like them in DoW2. Nice mix of units to use for offense and defense, plus their commander units are all well rounded.

FoxSpirit

MrNyarlathotep said:
Also Eurogamer are giving away unlock codes for all 5 of the pre-order wargears every day this week at 12pm UK time (its about 11pm UK time as I write this, so do your own math) so you get to shop around for the best price! Score.

Wait, where did you find that??

MrNyarlathotep said:
So can someone explain to me; if I buy this retail, I can unlock it on Steam as though I'd bought it on Steam? Just like I did with UT3? That's the gist of what I'm getting from people complaining about their broken street release date copies...

That's correct :)

I've updated the OP with more info - I hope this helps!

FoxSpirit said:
Wait, where did you find that??

When I got myself an unlock code today when they announced it :D

Got mine when there were 98 out of 100 left to go, heh

EDIT: actually, disregard, I cook socks. Looks like they've delayed wargear giveaways until next week now. You might as well sign up a Eurogamer account while you wait though if it gets anywhere close to the shenanigans that happened when the LBP beta keys were up for grabs.

Reikon

While I can see the game could be fun, the balance and stability problems in the beta are going to make this a wait and see for me. If Relic can get their act together and improve their patching process, I'll buy it.

Also, it seems like it's sold out directly from Amazon, so there's another reason for me to wait.

FoxSpirit

MrNyarlathotep said:
When I got myself an unlock code today when they announced it :D

Got mine when there were 98 out of 100 left to go, heh

EDIT: actually, disregard, I cook socks. Looks like they've delayed wargear giveaways until next week now. You might as well sign up a Eurogamer account while you wait though if it gets anywhere close to the shenanigans that happened when the LBP beta keys were up for grabs.

Ugh, it's midday, not midnight. I'm at work, so I'm out of luck.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I wish they'd fix the beta so that I'd feel comfortable getting the game. Right now it isn't that much fun with all the imbalances running about.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
BobsRevenge said:
I wish they'd fix the beta so that I'd feel comfortable getting the game. Right now it isn't that much fun with all the imbalances running about.

i was in that position, but the day 0 patch notes pushed me over the edge. confident in this i started trying a few new things with different factions and i'm enamored all over again, despite the gaping balance black holes.

plus i think i've just gotten too used to having the beta around, the idea of suddenly not being able to play the game at all just doesn't sit well with me.

Hellcrow

Will the stats from beta transfer over to retail? If not, my friend will be very dissappointed, and his Warboss too.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
I know Fry's is having the deal online, but do they have the deal in stores?

*i believe stats will be reset, sad about my lvl13 SM too :(

mr stroke

Speculator said:
I know Fry's is having the deal online, but do they have the deal in stores?

*i believe stats will be reset, sad about my lvl13 SM too :(

for me its $44(CA)

might want to check local

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
IGN"s review comes after Relic revamped the campaign. New mission types were added, and some bug was fixed which was causing the same mission type to be repeated over and over and....

There a good thread about the Day 0 Patch on Relicnews. Three or four Relic and THQ employess who make appearances talk abou things that weren't in the patch notes, and the future patches and DLC.

mr stroke said:
I hear the single player is very RPG like, anyone know if your characters level up like WC3?

From IGN's Review:

In the campaign, you'll play strictly as the Space Marines, and though both modes illustrate Relic's move to eliminate base building, the campaign is the more obvious example. Instead of constructing a linear, mission-to-mission campaign, Relic has opted for an reworked version of the persistent campaign map that showed up in the Dark Crusade and Soulstorm expansions to Dawn of War. This time there's a far greater narrative element that's woven into the action. As a newly promoted Force Commander for the Blood Ravens chapter of the Space Marines (genetically altered superhuman soldiers) you'll battle against the Eldar, Orks, and menacing Tyranids to save your home planets.

Aboard the starship Armageddon you'll only ever amass six squads throughout the campaign, and you'll never build a unit-producing structure; you only capture relays and buildings to reinforce squads and net other bonuses. It's up to you which four squads to bring into any mission, as well as how to equip them. Unlike real-time strategy games past where each unit has a specific function with a few ways to differentiate through research upgrades, Dawn of War II lets you gradually accrue an assortment of wargear throughout the campaign that can dramatically affect functionality. Collected as a reward for completing a mission or dropped from enemies killed in the field, wargear consists of new armor sets, weaponry like chainswords, power axes, and heavy bolters, as well as a large number of accessories like melta bombs to smash up vehicles or Terminator armor-mounted missile racks for annihilating structures.

In between every mission you can swap out bits of equipment, so if you're tired of your Force Commander charging into fights with a power sword, slap on that set of Terminator armor from your inventory. Now your armor is boosted and you can crush the cover the enemy is using just by walking through it. Equip the fancy teleporter unit you just picked up from the last mission and drop in that Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield and now you're a melee powerhouse capable of blinking directly into entrenched enemy positions, crushing a few faces, then blinking right back out to safety, ideally before the orbital strike you just called down using an equipped beacon accessory purges the area of the living.

Spruchy

Hated the mp beta but im still really interested in the single player campaign. I'll prob pick it up on friday.

In the latest Idle Thumbs, which we just put live, Nick goes bonkers over the single-player, which he put 22 hours into this past weekend and is apparently not even close to completing it. He believes it is the best single-player RTS to date, and he's played a whole goddamn lot of RTS games.

Binabik15

Damn, a Nid single player campaign would have been so awesome. Would have no story but so much fuuuuuuun.

Do I need two copies to play co-op or versus in a local network?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Chris Remo said:
In the latest Idle Thumbs, which we just put live, Nick goes bonkers over the single-player, which he put 22 hours into this past weekend and is apparently not even close to completing it. He believes it is the best single-player RTS to date, and he's played a whole goddamn lot of RTS games.
This makes me happy. I know I will love this game.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
My copy was just shipped, hope to have it by tomorrow.

Does this game have achivements? as it uses Games for Windows Live.

Neckbeard69

Neo Member
Chris Remo said:
which he put 22 hours into this past weekend and is apparently not even close to completing it

Strangely, that looks a lot like the my upcoming weekend.

Can't wait. I am so hyped for this: I even bought a whole bunch of real tabletop miniatures and paint, haven't done that in 20 years :D

Mardil

I just bought my copy off Steam, but I'm not really used to pre-order games there. I can't pre-load the game... Is this right? I'm not from Australia.

Neckbeard69 said:
Strangely, that looks a lot like the my upcoming weekend.

Mine too with some Street Fighter 4 interspersed so I don't wear myself out on DoW.

I imagine it is possible, but can I have my single-player campaign and a co-op campaign with my friend and switch between them without affecting the other?

I hope the multiplayer is more stable than in the beta. FFS, it must have crashed on me 20 times or more. Not to mention the unplayable lag at times

Vashu

Kestastrophe said:
I hope the multiplayer is more stable than in the beta. FFS, it must have crashed on me 20 times or more. Not to mention the unplayable lag at times

I only had one crash, which ended up in me not receiving any points for a game me and a friend one. Awesome battle btw, we were at one point afraid of losing, but suddenly things started to turn around. I love the Howling Banshees and my Avatar of Khaine. :D

A battle to remember.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Vashu said:
I came in here to say only one thing:

IN THE NAME OF KHAINE!

As you were.
I do miss that bad-fucking-ass voice acting the Avatar had in the original DOW.

Is Gamestop shipping today? I keep checking my bank account, but there's nothing yet.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the beta a great deal. I am typically garbage at RTS multi, but I was able to hold my own in this due to the simplification and scaled down gameplay. It was just really buggy, but I hope that it's rectified in the retail code

Vashu

Kestastrophe said:
Don't get me wrong, I loved the beta a great deal. I am typically garbage at RTS multi, but I was able to hold my own in this due to the simplification and scaled down gameplay. It was just really buggy, but I hope that it's rectified in the retail code

Same here.

And yeah, the avatar had great quotes. Perhaps they are in the full retail version. They have to add these two lines, if they are not in the game:

- Behold, the fiery destroyer of worlds.
- I walk again, a god among mere mortals.

Kestastrophe said:

Im glad im not the only one who experienced crashes.

Also, for co-op, here is my info

LIVE: gamerecks
Steam ID: gamerecks

Top Bottom