• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40k: Orks

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
I love how the developers of Warhammer are not caving to standard RTS rules (like all races must mine two resources and use those to build up a tech tree to fight). I was really excited when I first read about Warcraft 3 (with the very unique undead and very slow but very powerful burning legion) that would've really opened up a lot of possibilities in play style. But of course, they caved, and Warcraft 3 turned out to be just a "good" RTS instead of a "great" RTS (like Starcraft). It'll be interesting to see how the balance all these unique races in Warhammer 40k.

Slo

Yeah, the Battlefield 1942 style approach to resource managment is going to turn the genre on it's ear, provided the game get's the propper attention. It's also going to force paranoid turtler's like me to get out and explore the map. :)

WarPig

The BF1942 comparison is pretty apt, I think. Battlefield really does cross over into an RTS kind of gameplay once you get a really big game going -- gaining ground is gaining resources is gaining victory points, and so there's a couple of layers of strategy going on besides just trying to whack the other guy. It makes perfect sense to adapt that to an RTS game the way they have, because it forces players to get up and move and mix it up and take territory, instead of parking themselves in a big immovable base. Looks like some good stuff.

DFS.

WarPig

I'm hoping, incidentally, that you'll be able to pull shit in Dawn of War like we used to do on the Wake Island map in Battlefield, where one lone survivor manages to swim across the lagoon and evade capture long enough to take the control point on the other side of the map and spawn his entire team to launch a massive wave of mechanized death towards the airfield. That was always a ton of fun.

DFS.

Slo

That would lead to some interesting end game scenarios. Would you then need to kill every single unit of your enemy before the game ends?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
WarPig said:
where one lone survivor manages to swim across the lagoon and evade capture long enough to take the control point on the other side of the map and spawn his entire team to launch a massive wave of mechanized death
Yeah, that WOULD be cool in multiplayer, wouldn't it? ;)

Matlock

Banned
Well, at least the art direction and the graphics look tight...

...but until I play this, I'm going to reserve judgement. Kohan 2: NEVER FORGET.

Top Bottom