• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer: Vermintide 2 announced

The loot system existed as an incentive to play higher difficulties. If you had every weapon and item you wanted, there would be no point in playing the game on Hard or Nightmare other than bragging rights, since there's no PvP, leaderboards or competitive aspect. I'm not defending it (since I dislike it as well), but there's a reason it's there.

I think that's why they just straight up started working on a sequel. The way the first game was structured, FS really didn't have any option short of a huge overhaul of most of the games' systems, and they probably preferred to just start with a clean slate with all the lessons learned (and much larger budget).

IIRC they stated a few times if Vermintide didn't succeed, the studio wouldn't have survived. It's one of my favorite coop games of recent years so this news makes me happy.

Cosmetics. Always cosmetics.
Can also always allow players to play lower difficulties to get xp to unlock abilities that make surviving in the higher difficulties easier, a la titanfall 2.

No one's denying that it was there for a reason. The argument is that it wasn't a sound reason.

dan2026

If this game doesn't feature other races to fight, like Orcs or Undead or something, I hope they really expand out the different Skaven units you face.
And also maybe
play as?

Kudo

First game was great, but they need better loot system that works for single playthroughs though.
We pretty much played through the game on hard with the starting gear, I've heard they've made fixes to it since the launch but anyway.
Definitely Day 1, love me some co-op.

ArjanN

Get rid of the loot system entirely. It was mindboggling in how poorly conceived it was from the get-go, it added nothing of value with how shallow it actually is (like most action-oriented 'hybrid games' these days) and it's painstakingly clear that Fatshark has no idea whatsoever on how to implement such an idea, given how multiple rebalances ultimately fell flat. Cut the pretence and rip it out without ever looking back.

Nah, that would be a bad idea. Loot stuff in general is an effective hook to keep people playing, most people would just play through each level once and move on if it wasn't there and the playerbase would drop off way faster.

Cosmetics. Always cosmetics.
Can also always allow players to play lower difficulties to get xp to unlock abilities that make surviving in the higher difficulties easier, a la titanfall 2.

No one's denying that it was there for a reason. The argument is that it wasn't a sound reason.

While the loot could have been more generous, in practice it was largely cosmetic anyway. You can do the higher difficulties with the base gear just fine just by playing well as a team.

While the loot could have been more generous, in practice it was largely cosmetic anyway. You can do the higher difficulties with the base gear just fine just by playing well as a team.

Yarp. Wish it had gone full cosmetic + unlocks tho. Would also help with constantly giving *some* reward, and would never cause player rage by showing them the shitty rolls (even if any random rewards system involves rolls, obviously)

way they set it up, you foamed with rage at the dices.

KKRT00

Today is reveal, but on Steam Page there is already a trailer and info :)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/552500/Warhammer_Vermintide_2/

Character progression, rewamped loot and the biggest addition Mod Support!

I think with mod support this could finally be big. I loved the first game, but progression was killing it for me, the loot just wasnt interesting enough and getting it was too hard and annoying, but gameplay was excellent.

zulux21

i'm interested, but here's hoping the loot is a lot more interesting this time around.

so much grinding needed to get anything of interest in the first game.

vertopci

Here's hoping the sequel takes off so there are actually a good number of people to play with. The first one was an awesome L4D clone

Chaos chosen looked great. Marauders were ok. Will have to see how heavily armored combat will factor into this.

Also wondering what in blazes a sole skaven was doing in the middle of a pack of chaosmen.

Biggest addition is dedicated servers, tbh.

Keasar

Nice! Wanted some Chaos to kill, also glad to see that there are now different "Careers" to each hero for more variety and choice.

Chaos chosen looked great. Marauders were ok. Will have to see how heavily armored combat will factor into this.

Also wondering what in blazes a sole skaven was doing in the middle of a pack of chaosmen.

Biggest addition is dedicated servers, tbh.

Mod support is pretty huge, too. If they nail this, it could be much more popular than the first game.

Devs also confirmed that the only way to earn loot is through gameplay.

Akronis

Mod support is pretty huge, too. If they nail this, it could be much more popular than the first game.

Devs also confirmed that the only way to earn loot is through gameplay.

Mod support is definitely going to make the game. Assuming the mod tools are robust, that is.

Mod support and Dedicated servers!!!! Yes, this will help the game live on for a long while. I hope that there is an offline mode with bots. However, online play is basically the way it's meant to be played.

finalflame

Gold Member
I love this part of the Warhammer universe and am SO stoked to hear about this. Can't wait to see more!

Edit: I really want to be able to play as a White Lion.

ArjanN

Chaos seems like a good pick for putting more emphasis on the first person melee instead of just mowing through the fodder enemies.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://gamingbolt.com/warhammer-vermintide-2-runs-at-native-4k-on-xbox-one-x-1440p-on-ps4-pro

“This is is something that we are still working on and can therefore change,” Bäckström told us, “but we will definitely get 4K support on the Xbox One X and 1440p native resolution on the PS4 Pro. Other than that there are the inherited improvements that we get from the more powerful CPU which will give us a higher and steadier framerate. We are also looking into the possibility to prioritize enhanced title players as hosts since their hardware will handle being a server much better.”

He went on to mention that thanks to the extra juice in the Xbox One X hardware, a native 4K resolution was possible to achieve, as opposed to the PS4 Pro. “The Xbox One X will have native 4K resolution which the PS4 Pro is unable to attain,” he told us.

As for whether or not the resolution of your TV sets will determine how the game is rendered- well, it won’t. Thanks to downsampling, of course. “We will always output in 4K (Xbox One X) or 1440p (PS4 pro) regardless of your TV,” Bäckström said. “If you are on a non-4K TV set, it will downsample to whatever it supports. You will most likely still get a better visual experience than the non-enhanced versions. It is also worth mentioning that the game is not GPU bound- so we don’t get an increase in framerate when lowering the rendering output and therefore it makes little sense for us to not use maximum render output on the enhanced versions.”

Haeleos

I have been playing a lot of the beta, and I can't fathom anything coming out this year that could dethrone this as GotY for me. Iterates on nearly every aspect of the first game, and I feel confident regarding it as one of the greatest co-op games of all time. If you have any love for the Warhammer setting, L4D-style co-op, first person melee combat and/or loot-shooters, you would be remiss to skip this one, even if you haven't played the first one.

TrainedRage

Banned
I have been playing a lot of the beta, and I can't fathom anything coming out this year that could dethrone this as GotY for me. Iterates on nearly every aspect of the first game, and I feel confident regarding it as one of the greatest co-op games of all time. If you have any love for the Warhammer setting, L4D-style co-op, first person melee combat and/or loot-shooters, you would be remiss to skip this one, even if you haven't played the first one.

I have put about 11 hours into the beta. It's pretty good, the combat is very satisfying. Still fun to play but I could use more maps at this point.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.gamereactor.eu/grtv/375823

Warhammer: Vermintide 2 on Console - Robert Bäckström Interview

Warhammer: Vermintide 2 producer Robert Bäckström joined us in Stockholm to discuss the upcoming console version of the first-person fantasy adventure from Fatshark.

Last edited:
Really enjoy this. I bought it after seeing footage and watching some reviews. Not sure I really know what's going on all the time, mind you, but it's still fun. Beaten the first maps with randoms as I don't know anyone else that owns it.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.xboxachievements.com/ne...box-One-in-July--Open-Beta-Available-Now.html

Fatshark has announced that Warhammer Vermintide II will be making its way to Xbox One on July 11th, bringing more Left 4 Dead-style co-op action to the table as you continue to fight back the Skaven scourge and the forces of Chaos.

"After the huge success with the release of Warhammer: Vermintide 2 on PC, we are happy and excited to bring the game to Xbox One," said Fatshark CEO Martin Wahlund. "We can’t wait to stick it to the Skaven and Chaos on another platform." A Vermintide II Premium Edition is also available for pre-order on Xbox One now for $44.99/£35.99, alongside a free Open Beta for download via the Xbox Store.

More in the link.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
If anyone is playing the Xbox beta and wants to team up, hit me up @ GT: UltraMegaByte

Beta is available to any Xbox Insiders.

I'm pretty new myself, but loving it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom