• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warning Bloodstained Ritual of the Night Switch version apparently is in rough shape

Vawn

Banned
I've personally been waiting to pick this up on Switch. It released last week on most platforms and it releases today on Switch digitally (Friday physically).

However, after a quick Google search I made before making the purchase, I noticed people are not happy with how the game runs on Switch.

I went ahead and bought it for PS4. I just thought I'd give a heads-up for anyone who was in a similar situation. It may be worth waiting to see if the Switch version gets fixed or just picking up the game on a different platform.

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Yeah that was my fear, a small team like that probably didn’t have time to optimize the engine to run on switch so they made it work anyway they could. PS4 version it is then

Salmonboy

I added the game to my Switch today, but I'd rather wait until some optimization later on, before even starting the game.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Looking forward to playing my copy today after work. Will be interesting to see if it really is “broken” or this just the standard internet hyperbole machine console wars bullshit. My moneys on the latter, I’ve been hearing about so many glitches on the PC one despite dozens of hours with none myself.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I was also waiting for the Switch release initially, but a generous friend and kickstarter backer sent me his Steam key. I've been playing the game in 60fps on my ultrawide monitor and I have to say I'm really glad I didn't wait for the Switch release.

THAT BEING SAID, the game is still amazing and the Switch version looks to have all the game's features intact just at a lower res and framerate. Perfect for on-the-go Bloodstained action, but also disappointing they couldn't squeeze more performance out of the Switch version.

Petrae

Can’t say I’m surprised (it’s an underpowered platform, after all), though most Switch fans will argue that they’re more than willing to accept gimped versions of games in exchange for portability.

I’ll be avoiding this version and sticking with the PS4 and XBO ones.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Eh, it looks like a Switch game, not the greatest graphics, it's a damn tablet after all; just like any game on any platform they'll optimize later, if possible
Hence is the world of patching games /s

Can’t say I’m surprised (it’s an underpowered platform, after all), though most Switch fans will argue that they’re more than willing to accept gimped versions of games in exchange for portability.
Not really an argument, more of what our tastes are; if someone is expecting equivalent performance from a mobile device compared to a standing device, they're crazy lol

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God

I’ll be avoiding this version and sticking with the PS4 and XBO ones.
Also, Bloodstained is a graphical marvel and we can be amazed how it runs on this generation hardware

Please...

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i just canceled it on amazon,
i own the xbox one x version.

and i was fine with 30fps on switch.

but it seems i get sub 30 at times. and weird lag inc button lag.
i won't support devs launching games like this,

PERIOD

Last edited:

nkarafo

30 fps on a side scrolling game sounds like a nightmare.

60fps is fine but on 60hz LCD there is a lot of motion blur.

If you have a PC and a 144/240hz monitor do yourselves a favor and play it there. I locked mine at 120fps on my 240hz monitor. Looks super smooth and very clear, close to a CRT (but still not quite as good). Thankfully the game is not very demanding, i played it at max settings/120fps on a GTX 1060 and the system was far from maxed out.

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
Looking forward to playing my copy today after work. Will be interesting to see if it really is “broken” or this just the standard internet hyperbole machine console wars bullshit. My moneys on the latter, I’ve been hearing about so many glitches on the PC one despite dozens of hours with none myself.

My money is on the former given that it is the Switch.

Vawn

Banned

My current favorite console is the Switch, but I don't think comparisons between Switch versions of games to those of PS4/XBO have anything to do with console wars.

The Switch versions of games are often just pretty bad. This includes games that the console should be able to run just fine.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I ended up canceling my preorder last night after reading about it. I’ll grab the PS4 version instead.

Fbh

Here's a better comparison as the one in the link from the OP doesn't really show it side by side.

Yeah it's rather disappointing, specially since they already made the drop to 30fps.

Manus

That's a bummer for Switch fans, I had a friend holding out hope.

I was probably going to double dip if it was good. Own it on PC and having a portable version would of been nice.

This makes me sad, was hoping that Switch version would not be too compromised. For the most part, it looks okay, but when seeing it side to side on the outside of the ship while raining it just looks completely gimped in comparison with the PS4 version. That, and poor framerate, well... I will probably just end up getting a PS4 or PC version. Press F to pay respects...

Animagic

Banned
How do so many 3rd party titles shit the bed on their Switch output?

Kind of wish nintendo was more open with other devs on how they squeeze what they do out of their systems

Neff

I made the (in hindsight) unwise decision to change my pledge to the Switch version after initially backing the PS4 version, and...

I'm about 6 hours in and it's very enjoyable and playable. I did make the mistake though of looking at footage of the other versions and boy do I wish I hadn't. I'll be picking up the PS4 version for replays I think.

So yeah, if you're not yet roped into owning a Switch copy and have the opportunity to buy on another platform, then obviously go for that. For Switch-only owners though, don't worry too much. The game is still great regardless of issues.

I expected performance issues since it doesn't even run very well on the base ps4(In fact my last session ended when the game chugged so hard it crashed) but the visual downgrade was more than I was expecting. =/

We can't even have 60fps platformers in 2019. What a joke.
If it had parity from a graphical standpoint(aside the resolution) maybe it could have been justified to run in 30 fps on the switch , but psp graphics with 30 fps? Nah just a bad port.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Anybody in here actually play the Switch version yet? So far I’m just seeing people accepting third hand reports. Anyone have first hand experience?

Yeah 30fps is not a dealbreaker for me, many modern games struggle to hit that on PS4

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Anybody in here actually play the Switch version yet? So far I’m just seeing people accepting third hand reports. Anyone have first hand experience?

Yeah 30fps is not a dealbreaker for me, many modern games struggle to hit that on PS4
word is down that it can't maintain even 30.
that was enough for me to cancel my order.

SirTerry-T

Been playing it since my backer's code came through early this morning.
I think it's fine, frankly. Playing it undocked on plain old joycons and haven't noticed any input lag, or at least not enough to hamper my enjoyment.
The graphics while obviously suffering in comparison to the big boys machines are fine, sure a bit more sharpness to the overall image quality wouldn't go amiss but I'm not about to start crying over it.

That comparison video between the PS4 and the Switch was real lowest common denominator stuff....the small, handheld machine that runs off glorified tablet hardware has lower resolution textures and less fancy FX???
How can this be!
Pure hyperbole.

The game's a lot of fun and I'm having a blast with it.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Played all the versions, Switch version is fine in my opinion as well. Controls are responsive and I didn't notice lag using connected joycons (undocked mode) or the pro controller (docked mode).

At this point this is probably my 3rd full play through so maybe I am cutting it too much slack but I don't see why I will not finish this play through as well.

TLDR - your mileage may vary, if its the only copy you can play it will be fine. If you have a 16 core pc with 64gb of ram and a 2080ti with a 4k HDR 144hrz monitor....play it there :messenger_kissing_smiling:

Last edited:

StormCell

I'm sure they will continue to make tweaks and improvements for Switch. You can expect that they will keep working on it since it's the biggest market in Japan. There's really nothing about this game that would be too demanding for Switch, like the rain effects and moonlit window sills. Just gotta be patient.

I felt like these were likely issues on the Switch, and I canceled my Switch preorder for the PS4 copy. I'm really glad I did even though I've wished I could play it away from the TV. I've really had no performance issues except for the occasional hiccup where the game will freeze for a moment (playing on PS4 Pro). I can imagine this being a real issue on Switch, because PS4 Pro is way more than enough for this game and it still has those moments...

DonF

Damn shame, the game looks to be a great game to play on the switch. Will probably get it on ps4, but ill wait for a little bit if they release patches.

iconmaster

Banned
At this point this is probably my 3rd full play through so maybe I am cutting it too much slack

Okay, glad we have someone who's finished it. The complaint I've seen is that the framerate/lag isn't bad in the early going but gets much worse in the harder sections with more enemies present. How was that for you?

Edit: oh this is great to hear.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
got my Switch physical copy in the mail today. gonna fire it up after dinner. i'm 75% done with the Steam version so i will report in with results!

clem84

Gold Member
For the kind of game it is (there isn't that much going on on screen), it should be nearly identical. BOTW and many other games do waaay more, so there's no doubt the Switch can do better. Hopefully they'll have time to optimize it.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I knew about the 30 fps a week or so back, that was an immediate sign to stay away from this port unfortunately.

Thanks Ill stick with the PS4 version. I started buying indies on Switch for a little bit but find myself just going back to buying them on PS4.

FStubbs

How do so many 3rd party titles shit the bed on their Switch output?

Kind of wish nintendo was more open with other devs on how they squeeze what they do out of their systems

It's a Tegra X1. It's not like it's some crazy proprietary architecture.

I feel like this game could run fine on a PS2 so I don't understand why it runs so badly on the Switch.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Ok I have only played a few minutes but right away the performance is indeed rough compared to the PC. I am glad to hear from the team that they are devoting full resources to improving the Switch version. This really needs a higher framerate.

That said it doesn’t look half bad. The lower res is not a big issue and some of the toned down effects are visually kind of an improvement. On the ship there was this grimy water texture that always looked off. That isn’t in this version. That style is used throughout the game sometimes, these porous textures, that are really visible HD and I think turned people off a bit. They aren’t here so that’s a plus.

Lag wise it’s not bad. A little slower but def playable. I first played with a wired pro controller docked and it was fine, I wasn’t having trouble hitting candles in mid air or anything. On portable it looks really nice and the smaller screen kind of eliminates the need for AA. This will be great portable especially when they patch performance.

I’m only at the ship now I’ll be playing for a while longer. I want to see how the far nicer looking areas come across.

Last edited:
Top Bottom