• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was 2007 one of the best years for "entertainment" (movies/games/music)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Movies:
•There Will Be Blood
•No Country For Old Men
•The Assassination of Jesse James
•Zodiac
•4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days
•Michael Clayton
•Bourne Ultimatum
•Stardust
•Atonement
•3:10 To Yuma
•Gone Baby Gone
•Eastern Promises
•Superbad
•Knocked Up
•Diving Bell and the Butterfly
•Hot Fuzz
•Into The Wild
•Ratatouille
•Juno

Games:
•Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
•Halo 3
•Super Mario Galaxy
•BioShock
•Crysis
•The Orange Box
•Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
•Assassin's Creed
•Metroid
•Guitar Hero

Billboard's Top Sellers 2007 (USA)

Position Album Title Artist
1 Daughtry Daughtry
2 Konvicted Akon
3 The Dutchess Fergie
4 Hannah Montana Various Artists
5 Some Hearts Carrie Underwood
6 All the Right Reasons Nickelback
7 FutureSex/LoveSounds Justin Timberlake
8 High School Musical 2 Various Artists
9 Now 23 Various Artists
10 Minutes to Midnight Linkin Park
11 B'Day Beyoncé
12 Graduation Kanye West
13 Me and My Gang Rascal Flatts
14 Love The Beatles
15 The Sweet Escape Gwen Stefani
16 Hannah Montana 2 Various Artists
17 Awake Josh Groban
18 Not Too Late Norah Jones
19 Taylor Swift Taylor Swift
20 Kingdom Come Jay-Z

Best-selling albums globally:

1 The Best Damn Thing Avril Lavigne
2 Carnival Ride Carrie Underwood
3 Back to Black Amy Winehouse
4 Noël Josh Groban
5 Long Road Out of Eden The Eagles
6 Minutes to Midnight Linkin Park
7 As I Am Alicia Keys
8 Call Me Irresponsible Michael Bublé
9 Life in Cartoon Motion Mika
10 Not Too Late Norah Jones

OK, maybe it was a bad year for music. :I

But those movies and those games are nearly untouchable. What an amazing year for entertainment. Oh, and TWBB > NCFOM = The Assassination of Jesse James. Superbad and Knocked Up 1-2 combo is also amazing.

SYNTAX182

tumblr_n7zzpd30aZ1qzdfwko1_400.gif

No country was damn good. Loved assassination of Jesse. Also both superbad and knocked up were really entertaining comedies. Knocked up maybe the peak of apatow schlock.

Galaxy, cod4, metroid, orange box. Definitely a good year for gaming. Galaxy being game of gen to a lot.

That music list made me throw up a little and get that weird after taste.

I feel like there were better years, especially the 90's.

Bgamer90

Banned
It was definitely a good year for entertainment. That Billboard list is missing a lot of good albums/artists during that year though -- MGMT, Justice, Crystal Castles, Lupe Fiasco, Kenna, etc.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I would say no. Nothing really really stands out there for me. Halo 3 was good for Single player, but starting the downward spiral for MP. The music list is full of nothing but crap. Movies in that list are most Meh as well.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
None of my favourite pieces of media of from that year. No, I don't really agree. It's no 1999.

Bgamer90

Banned
The music list is full of nothing but crap.

Kanye West's Graduation was a great album. Missing a lot of good stuff from that year since it's Billboard pop charts though. Past 10 years have been great for music but Billboard charts won't really show that for obvious reasons.

MIMIC

Banned
Movies:
•There Will Be Blood
•No Country For Old Men

•Zodiac
•4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days
•Michael Clayton
•Bourne Ultimatum

•Stardust
•Atonement
•3:10 To Yuma
•Gone Baby Gone
•Eastern Promises
•Superbad
•Knocked Up
•Hot Fuzz

•Into The Wild
•Ratatouille
•Juno

Games:
•Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
•Halo 3

•Super Mario Galaxy
•BioShock
•Crysis
•The Orange Box
•Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
•Assassin's Creed
•Metroid
•Guitar Hero

Billboard's Top Sellers 2007 (USA)

1 Daughtry Daughtry
2 Konvicted Akon
3 The Dutchess Fergie

4 Hannah Montana Various Artists
5 Some Hearts Carrie Underwood
6 All the Right Reasons Nickelback
7 FutureSex/LoveSounds Justin Timberlake

8 High School Musical 2 Various Artists
9 Now 23 Various Artists
10 Minutes to Midnight Linkin Park
11 B'Day Beyoncé
12 Graduation Kanye West

13 Me and My Gang Rascal Flatts
14 Love The Beatles
15 The Sweet Escape Gwen Stefani
16 Hannah Montana 2 Various Artists
17 Awake Josh Groban
18 Not Too Late Norah Jones
19 Taylor Swift Taylor Swift
20 Kingdom Come Jay-Z

Well I certainly had fun that year

Mortemis

Banned
Graduation and konvicted were being bumped, had a ton of fun with SMG, Halo 3, & MP3, and some movies were pretty good.

It was alright, don't really look back on it much since tastes have changed, but I definitely enjoyed that year.

That video games list isn't that great. A few of them were great but some of them don't stand up to the test of time and others are just bad.

terrisus

That video games list isn't that great. A few of them were great but some of them don't stand up to the test of time and others are just bad.

This is just an absurd statement.

The only games on that list I've even played are Mario Galaxy and Guitar Hero.

Guitar Hero we only got because my wife wanted it.
Mario Galaxy is mediocre.

Everything else on there I have no interest in at all.

Oozer3993

Many of the albums listed were actually released in 2006. FutureSex/LoveSounds, B'Day, Taylor Swift, and Kingdom Come were all 2006 releases.

This is just an absurd statement.
Nah, the Assassin's Creed series has been awful from day one. That's the last game I ever traded in because I didn't even want it in my collection. I have no idea how that franchise is at the popularity that it's at. Crysis is nice to look at but pretty boring to play.

Guitar Hero had previous and future iterations (Plus Rock Band), some of which blow Guitar Hero II out of the water. No one is going to go back and play Guitar Hero 2 or 3 today. People were constantly debating over if Halo 3 was a downgrade compared to Halo 2.

Personally I don't like Uncharted, but I get why people do.

Everything else on that list is great, the only thing I can't comment on is Metroid because I never got around to playing Prime 3.

maxcriden

I like Ratatouille and SMG. Maybe Taylor Swift? Not much of interest from that list for me. I can see how fans of certain genres of movies, games and music could have been thrilled with that year's output, though.

GamerJM

Banned
I think it's my favorite year for gaming ever (Pokemon gen 4, Radiant Dawn, SMG, Blue Dragon, Halo 3, Trials and Tribulations, Rock Band, Super Paper Mario, Persona 3......I'm missing a lot but these were just the games I really liked off the top of my head), but everything else was....eh. I remember not enjoying most movies that came out that year, in fact 2006-2008 is kind of a slump period in terms of movies I liked. I can't remember how much good music came out that year but that list tells me it wasn't a very good year for popular music at least (though Graduation is a masterpiece and FutureSex/LoveSounds was great).

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Top selling album lists are always garbage. I need a list of the actual great albums released that year like the movies and games lists.

xbhaskarx

•There Will Be Blood
•No Country For Old Men
•Zodiac
•4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
•Gone Baby Gone
•Into The Wild

That is a pretty damn impressive list... I thought The Fountain also came out that year but I just checked and it came out in 2006.

Well, it's not like the year of Mario Galaxy needed too many other reasons to begin with. Also, that new dimension of beautiful controls in a bigscope videogame that was Metroid Prime 3.

Joeku

2007 was actually Guitar Hero 3 and Rock Band, not the first Guitar Hero, if that's what OP was trying to say.

And yeah, 2007 was the shit.

Lothar

Banned
It's a pretty average year looking at that list. The only real stand out incredible game was Mario Galaxy. Are you really putting Metroid Prime 3 on a list to show how good of a year it was? Are you being serious?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom