• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was GTA V weak compared to GTA IV?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Some people say that it made it realistic but that just worries me about their driving ability.
I can't remember the last time I crashed four times before making it out of my neighborhood. Maybe I'm just an unrealistic driver.

Papa

Banned
Not for me. 5 was my favourite since Vice City. Characters, story, gameplay, atmosphere, it all just clicked.

Hanon

Banned
Gta V's story setup was similar to a episode set up of family Guy,

"Hey Amanda! Remember that one time I destroyed that tennis instructor's house because you were sleeping with him?"

SUCCMEISTER

Neo Member
I don't know much man. I started olaying through this game a little while ago and it has me hooked. Haven't played much Of GTA IV but I like the mechanics and the game.

Breakage

I've only dumped about 13 hours into GTA V, but based on what I played, I prefer GTA IV. Specifically, I prefer GTA IV's single character approach, grimier world, and vehicle handling model.

GTA IV was a huge step-up from the previous trilogy, while GTA V was meh compared to GTA IV. However the cinematography and characters of V made it great beyond the previous titles.

petran79

Banned
I like both. I do however wish I could get 4 to run on a modern W10 machine.

There is a patch that deals with gpu out of memory issue. I managed to run the game at ultrawide res.. Frame rate depends on the graphic quality settings but on a gtx1080 it run smooth at least

Horns

It's a close call for me. I beat GTA IV ten times and I am not exaggerating. I loved how the city and story played out. The way the cars handled was amazing and the physics system for bodies is still top notch. The story doesn't hold up as well by the time you get to all the mafia stuff. It's still a great story overall. I felt by the time TLaD and TBoGT came out they greatly improved on the game. A lot of the little issues were fixed by then. Overall, I think GTA IV would be remembered more fondly if it had two improvements. 1) Fix the cell phone system - skip calls, ability to run while on the phone, and less frequent calls. 2) Mid-game saves especially for some of the latter missions that have multiple parts (e.g. shoot out followed by a vehicle chase) and are longer.

GTA V was just as amazing and improved on every single issue. I came close to playing it as much. Had there been DLC I might have spent as much time with it as the prior one.

GTA4 was the only game in the 3D series that I didn't complete. There was no motivation for me to keep going because the gameplay was sluggish, the characters were unlikeable, the world was too dark and depressing and the radio stations were devoid of any comedy. Worst of all, GTA4 accociated itself with that idiot Katt Williams. Those game developers were so out of touch.

Diddy X

I only got GTA V some months ago and it was because of the terrible taste that GTA IV left, it was a good game but some things about it were just terrible like the cousin calling you to hang out... :messenger_downcast_sweat: I think that's even a meme at this point.

About V, it looked good, like more fun than IV but I just don't have time to play anymore so I played like a couple hours and haven't touched it in 2 months, like I haven't touched any other game anyway :messenger_squinting_tongue:

spawn

No. Trevor himself is a more interesting character than Nico and then you have Michael and Franklin

Kadayi

Banned
I buy R* games principally for their technical aspects more than anything else. I'm not a huge fan of their writing and characterisation for the most part. There's a leaden obviousness to the personalities and events that become a little wearing after a while. I think Raycevick hit's upon this in his revisit of Max Payne 3 and how Rockstar took the Character of Max Payne, originally developed by Remedy and ran him through the Rockstar filter turning him from Steely eyed sharp-witted erudite murder machine into foul-mouthed drunken chump who's been played by everyone.

Diddy X

GTA IV is one of the worse, or maybe even the worst in the entire franchise. IMO.

Would have been better as a smaller game or a spin off, but after the glory that was San Andreas this game was just a huge meh.

They went, no doubt, too far focusing on the realism, it was a trend at the time, and forgot to make the game fun.

Hinedorf

Banned
As I recall a lot of people hated GTA4's story which I really liked. I would almost say I like it's story to GTA5 though I really did like the 3 character deal too.

The whole immigrant coming to this country is a story they could remake a million times for GTA iterations and it's still not only legit but interesting.

At the time I thought GTA4 was the best game of it's era and I tend to think similarly about GTA5

V is better than I've, but V was still a disappointment compared to San Andreas.

San Andreas was great and not just for story and crazy jet pack silliness, but world design. You have 4 (5 if you include liberty city mission) urban areas, several rural ones, a desert, an army base, several coastal farms or towns, green areas, it was a varied and diverse map with different design choices based on where you were with no loading screens.

The V world design is good but nowhere near as fluid or varied as San Andreas, which even the main game placed you through most of, unlike V.

Dacon

Banned
GTA IV was a bad game. In a series where you spend 80%+ of your time in cars, the developers made it really difficult to control cars. Why do that? In a series known for its interesting stories, I never met a character that I liked or was interested in. It was also the successor to Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, a game where you go through a hell of a lot of urban gang warfare to control territory. After building a really fun, balanced combat system for that game, GTA IV throws you into some of the most tedious, artificially difficult combat missions the series has ever had. After spending probably hundreds of hours on the series, I put only 10 or so hours into GTA IV, and I'm still so put off I haven't even tried GTA V yet.

I don't really understand the complaints about driving. I thought driving in GTA4 was easy, slow down when making turns and you shouldnt have any problems.

EDMIX

"I haven’t played much of GTA V " Ummmmm what? Come back to this thread when you complete GTAV

GTAIV feels like half an idea. So many features where removed and missing compared to the previous GTA games, its sales very much reflect that .

So I won't copy and paste what someone else wrote, but here is link to show how many of us felt to the lessor GTAIV's release.

https://www.neoseeker.com/forums/32198/t1226353-complete-list-of-new-missing-features-in-gta-iv/

GTAV is a return to form. Large world, land air and sea. All the things you listed about GTAIV....is in GTAV, sharp, funny, pokes fun at Americana etc So.....I mean if you didn't play GTAV, it sorta hard to then question it like this.

Play, then come back to us because as someone that has played the whole series (most at day 1 release), GTAIV is the worst in the whole series since put in 3D.

gtav is a great game but one thing i didnt like (very sjw of me) was how there was no like hispanic kind of influence anywhere. if you go to socal its fucking everywhere. its almost kind of stupid they just ignored it completely and just went with wack ass franklin who was a waste of a character. yes i would have chose my people over black people. fight me

Top Bottom