• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was indian cinema always this awesome? (Baahubali)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

I mean look at this ridiculous awesomess:

6cYegen.gif

dCLeG51.gif

Wf2J3BI.gif

Watch this shit in the Trailer

Random17

Most of the mythological TV episodes/movies I've seen have had really poor production values/CGI.

This... is different. I'm assuming it's Krishna's story based off of the gif, but it is definitely a first in terms of computer graphics for Indian cinema.

Edit: Influenced by Krishna's story. I'm not familiar with what's happening in the trailer.

It's a Kollywood movie actually aka South Indian Film Industry based in Tamil Nadu
Bollywood which is based in Mumbai, Maharashtra wishes it could be half this awesome
The film is amazing apart from one or two cringe-worthy scenes

Think of it as Indian Hercules... no monsters though.

EDIT:

On the flip-side, we do make films on serious social issues once in a while
The below movie, also called Fly Away Solo premiered at Cannes Film Festival

Masaan-Hindi-Full-Movie-2015-Watch-Online-and-Free-Download-HD-720p.png

fushi

I have seen one highly lauded modern Indian film. It was A Wednesday. Note the imdb score (8.4 and 32,594 votes).

At the time I thought it was horrible. Cheesy sound effects and camera work, nonsensical plot full of holes, overblown performances, etc.

Now... I just realize it as a product of a different film-making culture. I was comparing it to Western and Korean thrillers at the time. It just isn't that kind of movie.

pappe

This movie is the most expensive movie ever made in India and that too by a HUUUUUGE Margin.

It still does not compare to Hollywood.

Bollywood is the film capital for Indian films and this movie is made by Kollywood i.e south Indian film industry.

Is the movie overall ridiculously fun asthese gifs make them out to be?

It's pretty much i, robot but even more ridiculous and dumb. Not a great movie, but it's entertaining enough. I watched it with my dad and he fell asleep. But to be fair, it was like 1 in the morning when we started watching it.

Chariot

It's a Kollywood movie actually aka South Indian Film Industry based in Tamil Nadu
Bollywood which is based in Mumbai, Maharashtra wishes it could be half this awesome

Interesting, didn't know at all about this division in Indian cinema.

Last tamil movie I watched with cg bullshit was Endhiran

qOqu6xn.gif

NP5HUA2.gif
This looks absolutely amazing!

PnCIa

Not at all. Just last year there was a movie (forgot the name) that also had a "historical" setting and relied on tons of CGI. Looked about as good as a cheap Facebook game ad.

Truant

I'm always fascinated by asian cinema. The different standards of beauty inherent to each country really shines through in the films we make. Especially in Bollywood cinema, male heroes look nothing like in westen cinema at all.

Chariot

This movie looks amazing too https://youtu.be/wG8jgqzZzRk
Oh my god, this is fantastic! Couldn't stop cracking up.

Got a name?

Synopsis:Jani and Bindu are in love, but they never communicated their feelings to each other and continue to enjoy their unexpressed love. Sudeep, a billionaire and a powerful businessman gets attracted to Bindu and wants to own her for his pleasure, but he realizes that she is in love with Jani, which upsets him. When Bindu wants to express her love to Jani, Sudeep murders him. Jani is reborn as the fly and attempts to fight Sudeep's proceedings towards to Bindu, but his efforts go in vain. The fly convinces Bindu that he is Jani and they team up to take the revenge.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
MIqEFn.gif

(in case you can't tell what's happening in this gif, the bullet bounces off his chest and fly straight back to the gunman)
_U549m.gif

88-w1G.gif

there are a lot more of such

dakini

Yeah, a friend and I have been getting into Indian films for the past year or so. The ridiculousness of some of them can either be amazing or downright bad lol. Netflix actually has quite a few, but we're slowly running out of new ones to watch. Right now we're watching the Apu Trilogy which is being shown at a local independent theater.

pappe

All of these movies with over the top plots are from south Indian cinema. Bollywood lacks so much imagination.

params7

Banned
Last tamil movie I watched with cg bullshit was Endhiran

qOqu6xn.gif

NP5HUA2.gif

Oh man, I actually watched this in theater with my mom. She wouldn't stop laughing at every scene. It actually bothered people who were taking the movie seriously. I remember a ton of choreography was directly ripped from T2.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Baahubali is straight up amazing. I wish Bollywood had one tenth the imagination and ambition of South Indian movies. And it was very refreshing to see a movie so steeped in Indian culture. fucking bollywood is completely westernized in terms of culture and the language borders Urdu rather than Hindi most of the times. Many a times I can't understand half the words of a song, and my Hindi is excellent. So many Persian and Arabic words. Even Spanish ia there some of the times lol.

Why does GAF always champion the ridiculous, cheese ball movies?
Once in a blue moon, when the planets align, Indian Cinema does produce gems.

Because people like fun things and Bollywood produces industrial amounts of them in GIF form. Who gives a rat's ass if the movies are shit. We already know that. Most of us are certainly not going to watch them.

I had fun once... it was awful...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Because people like fun things and Bollywood produces industrial amounts of them in GIF form. Who gives a rat's ass if the movies are shit. We already know that. Most of us are certainly not going to watch them.

Just not my thing. The over the top gif friendly stuff is just as bad.

Singing, dancing and cheesy action films are my worst nightmare.

Noirulus

EDIT:

On the flip-side, we do make films on serious social issues once in a while
The below movie, also called Fly Away Solo premiered at Cannes Film Festival

Masaan-Hindi-Full-Movie-2015-Watch-Online-and-Free-Download-HD-720p.png

No it's not, it's a Telugu movie from the Tollywood industry, which is based in Andhra Pradesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom