• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was it ever explained why Dr.Wily got cut from Wreck it Ralph?

JordanN

Banned
So I was going on a movie binge and when I came across Wreck-It-Ralph, I remember that 8 years ago, there was a production still floating around that showed Dr. Wily from the Mega Man series was suppose to appear along the other bad guys.

Yet in the final film, he was actually never seen, and apparently the same was true with the movie's sequel (Ralph Breaks the Internet).

qouq3TA.jpg

After all these years, did we ever learn the real reason why he got shitcanned? It's not like Capcom actually didn't want their characters in the films since Zangief and Chun Li appeared in both. But Wily was removed for some reason?

Or if it was because Capcom still had a grudge against Inafune, then wouldn't having him in the sequel made sense, since we did get a new Mega Man game the same year?

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
It wouldn't surprise me that after actually thinking about it, the production team kind of concluded that most people wouldn't even know who Wily is. megaman is well recognised but Wily really isn't. Unlike Eggman & Bowser.

theclaw135

Banned
Could be a licensing snag. They're different branches of the company, Capcom USA holds the Street Fighter rights.

JordanN

Banned
It wouldn't surprise me that after actually thinking about it, the production team kind of concluded that most people wouldn't even know who Wily is. megaman is well recognised but Wily really isn't. Unlike Eggman & Bowser.
Hmmm.
Yet the guy who replaces him is just a generic Ninja.

JordanN

Banned
Could be a licensing snag. They're different branches of the company, Capcom USA holds the Street Fighter rights.
This is the same Disney who once got to use Bugs Bunny in their films.

And they went through the lengths to use Atari paddles which show up for a few seconds. Getting Wily shouldn't have been that hard...

nODe67S.jpg

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Hmmm.
Yet the guy who replaces him is just a generic Ninja.
Yeah but I think it's easier to pass off "evil ninja" as a random villain than 'old scientist man'. Plus there already is another evil scientist there: Eggman.

It's also possible they just didn't think his design gelled with the others. Pretty much every depiction of Wily is in a sort of anime art style, that doesn't tend to look as good as when translated to CGI.

I really doubt it's licencing issue and I doubt it's due to Capcom pulling out. The only real explanation left is that the movie's production team just didn't think he was a good fit.

Shantae

Banned
It's always annoyed me that Zangief was in that scene, because he's not a bad guy in the lore of Street Fighter. Maybe in the shitty movie he worked for Bison, but in the games he's just a dude fighting for his country. He's so prominent in it too. Wily would've been a better addition.

Last edited:
It's always annoyed me that Zangief was in that scene, because he's not a bad guy in the lore of Street Fighter. Maybe in the shitty movie he worked for Bison, but in the games he's just a dude fighting for his country. He's so prominent in it too. Wily would've been a better addition.
thank+gif.gif

Deft Beck

The director tried to justify it by saying he couldn't beat Zangief as a kid in SF2 so in his eyes he was a bad guy.

Geki-D

Banned
It's especially odd seeing as M.Bison is right next to him, not sure why they needed 2 SF characters here. Really though I think it's mainly because he just has a funny Russian accent so him saying that stuff was more humouristic than it would have been from any of the others.

D.Final

Banned
So I was going on a movie binge and when I came across Wreck-It-Ralph, I remember that 8 years ago, there was a production still floating around that showed Dr. Wily from the Mega Man series was suppose to appear along the other bad guys.

Yet in the final film, he was actually never seen, and apparently the same was true with the movie's sequel (Ralph Breaks the Internet).

qouq3TA.jpg

After all these years, did we ever learn the real reason why he got shitcanned? It's not like Capcom actually didn't want their characters in the films since Zangief and Chun Li appeared in both. But Wily was removed for some reason?

Or if it was because Capcom still had a grudge against Inafune, then wouldn't having him in the sequel made sense, since we did get a new Mega Man game the same year?

It's really strange indeed.
Maybe a license problem?

He's Russian. The news which never reports anything but the absolute truth and has no agenda informs me that Russia = Bad.

Zangief = Russia = Bad, so he's correctly portrayed as a bad guy.

Obviously you need to get learnt son.

/s

Top Bottom