• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was there ever a "[GAME] Killer" that actually managed to live up to it?

kuncol02

Banned
Destiny killed Halo
Fortnite killed PubG
Final Fantasy XIV killed World of Warcraft

Forza didn't kill anything, Gran Turismo 7 is the fastest selling game in the series.
Destiny did not killed Halo. Call of Duty killed Halo. Halo was dead very moment Modern Warfare was released.

No one really called them it, but Uncharted is certainly a Tomb Raider killer and Ghost of Tsushima is an Assassin's Creed killer.
You are delusional. Valhalla was best selling AC game, second best selling game in history of Ubisoft and had 1 bilion in revenue. That's 16.5mln copies sold for 60$ each.

Last edited:
COD over Medal of Honor and cities skyline over sim city. As for ppl putting halo got kill by cod or that haze 😂 halo still goes and I’m sure it still one of the most play of the sci-fi arena shooters. Now maybe u could say Fortnite maybe have kill pubg or dayz in battle royal. But they still going. Also Fortnite was never call a killer

kuncol02

Banned
COD over Medal of Honor and cities skyline over sim city. As for ppl putting halo got kill by cod or that haze 😂 halo still goes and I’m sure it still one of the most play of the sci-fi arena shooters. Now maybe u could say Fortnite maybe have kill pubg or dayz in battle royal. But they still going. Also Fortnite was never call a killer
Halo went from THE console shooter to game that you play when you get bored of playing Call of Duty with release of Modern Warfare.

Doom85

Overwatch killed Battleborn pretty handily

vU8NWAd.jpg

yurinka

Destiny did not killed Halo. Call of Duty killed Halo. Halo was dead very moment Modern Warfare was released.
CoD was popular since the first one, but its popularity highly increased with MW in 2007 (reaching 20M+ for the first time) and Black Ops in 2010 (reaching the 30M+ for the first time).

Halo was still very popular with the releases of ODST in 2009 and Reach in 2010, and was still a prestige IP then.

What killed Halo was that MS lost the Bungie talent, who left to make Destiny and release it in 2014 becoming the fastest selling new IP in gaming history.

Since then the 343 Halo haven't been able to reach the same level of quality and popularity they had when Bungie was the developer.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
Resident Evil killed Alone in the Dark. The latter faded into irrelevancy pretty much the moment RE came out, and no one has cared about the IP since then. All efforts to revive the IP have failed miserably, and I doubt it will ever be relevant again.

This is imo the best example of a copycat IP killing its inspiration (other than Call of Duty killing Medal of Honor, which others have already mentioned).

mhirano

Fortnite killed PubG
Spiderman (PS4) killed Batman Arkham series
Rock Band killed Guitar Hero

Last edited:
Mortal Kombat killed Street Fighter so badly that Capcom has to quickly outsource a 3D game because MK wasn't in that field yet.

Epic was such a big deal at the time as the first quick moving full scale 3D shmup that it ended the chance of any shmup 2D or 2.5D ever being anything other than a niche until the end of time, ending them from ever achieving mainstream sales again.

Crash 3 killed Sonic Adventure

Need for Speed killed Ridge Racer

Killzone killed Resistance

NFL 2K was killing madden, so EA nuked the headquarters of NFL 2K on a hit contract.

Wipeout killed F-Zero

TFX killed every flight simulator until present.

Stellar 7 was best game of all the 90s killed everything.

Half-Life killed Quake, coming from Quake ironically.

Forza Horizon killed need for speed.

Morrowinsd killed Kingdom Hearts.

which makes sense given that the same devs just basically made a better sequel under a different brand.

it took CoD a while tho to actually win the fight. Medal of Honor survived for many years with good success.
Uhhh no. After Moh: Aa, CoD came out and it was over and done for the MoH franchise. Sure there were sequels, but all were a bit steaming pile of horse manure.
It didn't survive jack shit. Especially MP wise. It was destroyed.

Uhhh no. After Moh: Aa, CoD came out and it was over and done for the MoH franchise. Sure there were sequels, but all were a bit steaming pile of horse manure.
It didn't survive jack shit. Especially MP wise. It was destroyed.
How dare you speak heinously about my beloved MOH: 2010. The only historically accurate game (possibly only game in general) about the War in Afghanistan. What an incredible piece of media.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
One criticism I have with halo is they discover things like sprint or open world years later.

Last edited:

Sgt.Asher

My friend was excited for this game called "two worlds" it was going to be the elder scrolls killer. He would show me articles in the gamestop magazine, and talk about it endlessly.

He gave it away two days after release. Funny shit.

I don't think the term [x] killer implies that [x] stops releasing games entirely, rather that mindshare is significantly reduced compared to the new franchise.
If you think Ghost of Tsushima has anywhere near the mindshare that the AC franchise does, you're delusional. The only reason the two IPs are even mentioned together is because people had been clamoring for an AC game set in feudal Japan for a long time.

One criticism I have with halo is they discover things like sprint or open world years later.
That's not 343i's fault, Halo fans are some of the most egregiously stubborn in all of gaming. Anything that deviates from the Halo 1-3 formula is instantly labeled as franchise killing.

Puscifer

Battlefield 4 lived up to the hype and converted a bunch of people to it, probably the only one I can think of personally.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Not really. It's kind of amazing how that never happened, now that I think about it.

It's such a long time, it should have happened at least once. But it hasn't..

dulleyes

Banned
yeah Cities Skylines craps all over ea work
Uh, I highly disagree.

Anyone whos played Cities Skylines for any considerable amount of hours can say that Cities Skylines is less of a city building simulator, and more of a traffic flow simulator.

Shit all you want on the SimCity last game release, but having played it after the always online bs, that game stomps on Cities Skylines when it comes to actual city management and simulation, and factually more fun once you get into the mega city builds. I actually feel like a mayor of a city instead of just the city's engineer.

Cities Skyline is a great game, but it saying it is even in competition with the SimCity franchise when it comes to a gaming sim of a city is a disingenuous take. Especially when the amount of really money grabbing DLC's the game has to this day, where many of them actually break the game, or do not work well in tandem with other DLC's.

Seriously though, people should give SimCity last game after all the negative press, it is actually still the most fun sim city game out there and it has the charm from the older games very much encoded in its DNA.

Thabass

I believe that Final Fantasy 14 killed WoW and Destiny killed Halo.

I wanted to spice things up with the thread and give a take
To be fair, WoW fucked themselves up.

Someone also said CoD was a killer, but it wasn't Halo or anything, it was for Medal of Honor.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Was COD during the 360 days when it got really popular ever considered a genre killer? Maybe not now as Fortnite is a beast, but back then when COD 4, MW2, BO came out it seemed every other popular shooter or theme at the time came to crashing halt in sales, release or got shittier. A lot of franchises disappeared or went on hiatus too.

- WWII games
- Halo
- Sci-fi (Unreal 3, Doom etc...)
- Medal of Honor

Last edited:
Top Bottom