• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Washington state will resist federal crackdown on legal weed

Status
Not open for further replies.
With White House press secretary Sean Spicer suggesting Thursday that the Trump administration would crack down on states that have legal recreational marijuana, Washington Attorney General Bob Ferguson vowed to defend Washington state’s legal pot law.

“I will resist any efforts by the Trump administration to undermine the will of the voters in Washington state,” Ferguson said in an interview.

Spicer said during a press briefing Thursday that the issue rests with the Justice Department. But he said, “I do believe that you’ll see greater enforcement of it.”

He added it’s “something that the Department of Justice I think will be further looking into.” No details were provided.

Ferguson and Gov. Jay Inslee sent a letter to U.S. attorney general Jeff Sessions, dated Feb. 15 that laid out arguments for Washington’s state-regulated pot industry.

They said illegal dealing is being displaced by a tightly regulated industry that is projected to pay $272 million in taxes this fiscal year. That frees up law-enforcement officers to protect communities facing more pressing threats. They also noted that legal pot entrepreneurs must undergo criminal and financial background checks.

“Given the limited resources available for marijuana law enforcement, a return to ‘full’ prohibition’ is highly unlikely to end the illicit production, trafficking and consumption of marijuana,” wrote Ferguson and Inslee, who asked for a meeting with Sessions.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ral-crackdown-on-legal-weed-ag-ferguson-says/

I love that my state's government is fighting the Trump administration every step of the way. Not just on marijuana, but on immigration and LGBT issues as well.

Yeah there really doesn't seem to be any concern in the shops that anything is going to happen to them. Went to my normal shop yesterday and they were laughing it off. Few of the shops interviewed in local news stories seem worried either, in Oregon or in Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom