• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 3 developer InXile unveils multiplayer sci-fi VR shooter Frostpoint

pasterpl

Frostpoint's 10v10 team-based action unfolds within an abandoned military base somewhere in the icy expanse of the Antarctic, with InXile promising to deliver "high-intensity PvP game modes, with a unique PvE twist". The latter comes in the form of "otherworldly" biomechanical creatures that constantly threaten to upset players' carefully laid plans as they attempt to thwart the opposing team across four unique maps.

InXile says to expect a range of game modes - Team Deathmatch and Domination are confirmed in an interview with UploadVR - and a broad selection of tools that can be utilised in combat. There are grenades, turrets, and health kits, for instance, plus "over a dozen" rifles and pistols (with accompanying attachments) that can hoisted realistically in one or two hands.

Players can also equip suits to gain different abilities, such as faster running speeds or better protection, and there's mention of armour and tracking upgrades, which make use of resources dropped by defeating Frostpoint's biomechanical enemies.

Although InXile was acquired by Xbox Game Studios back in 2018, Frostpoint (actually the developer's second VR title, following on from 2017 dungeon-crawler The Mage's Tale) will be published by Thirdverse. It's set to launch on Oculus Rift, Vive, and Valve Index later this year, with an open beta currently scheduled for September.

GHG

I guess this was something they were working on before the acquisition.

Wouldn't make any sense for Microsoft to fund this if it's not also able to come to Xbox/gamepass.

nikolino840

I guess this was something they were working on before the acquisition.

Wouldn't make any sense for Microsoft to fund this if it's not also able to come to Xbox/gamepass.
They helped for wasteland 3 and double fine 's psychonauts 2 and both are multiplat

Hudo

Just a quick question: With the acquisition of inXile, do Microsoft own the 'Wasteland' and 'The Bard's Tale' IPs now? I suspect Microsoft also own Pillars of Eternity via Obsidian?

Just a quick question: With the acquisition of inXile, do Microsoft own the 'Wasteland' and 'The Bard's Tale' IPs now? I suspect Microsoft also own Pillars of Eternity via Obsidian?

I read somewhere that brain fargo brought the wasteland ip himself. idk how’ll that work, but I think brain owns wasteland.

multiplayer-only, so no deal to me

it also looks remarkably similar in setting to what Vertigo Games is working in After the Fall, except it's a single-player campaign with optional co-op.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Brian Fargo owned InXile, Brads Tale and Wasteland. Now Microsoft owns them.

Hudo

I read somewhere that brain fargo brought the wasteland ip himself. idk how’ll that work, but I think brain owns wasteland.
Brian Fargo owned InXile, Brads Tale and Wasteland. Now Microsoft owns them.
Ah ok, thanks for the info! I wasn't sure how that deal went down but I remember Brian Fargo wanting to retain ownership of Wasteland and Bard's Tale (I think he talked about it during his Wasteland 2 kickstarter at some point), so I was always wondering whether Microsoft had any direct control over those IPs now because Fargo also wanted to retire, which he then decided not to after all (after that Microsoft deal).

Siri

Banned
InXile has done some great work lately. Can’t wait for Wasteland 3.

This vr thing is too vr for me. I don’t have vr.

Not a VR person, but this looks pretty good regardless tbh. Never going to play it, but I am interested to see how well this will be received and if it will make any impact on VR being mainstream

Wasteland feels like it's always trying too hard to follow Fallout and failing hard rather than playing to new strengths: never played 1 (before my time), but 2 was meh, and no hopes for 3 (apparently the project lead who I liked - Ziets - bailed on it a lonnnnng time ago because it was building up to be a steaming pile). One bad element apparently from the MS acquisition is the heads of these studios have more time to get "involved" with the projects, which isn't always a good thing, even in Fargo's case.

CitizenX

Banned
Wasteland feels like it's always trying too hard to follow Fallout and failing hard rather than playing to new strengths: never played 1 (before my time), but 2 was meh, and no hopes for 3 (apparently the project lead who I liked - Ziets - bailed on it a lonnnnng time ago because it was building up to be a steaming pile). One bad element apparently from the MS acquisition is the heads of these studios have more time to get "involved" with the projects, which isn't always a good thing, even in Fargo's case.

You are kidding right? Wasteland 2 is probably a top ten of all time in TB strategy games and 3 is probably one of my most anticipated games this year. The HEAD of Inxile Brian fargo(1,000 times more important to gaming than MS circus barkers)is one of the founders of the post apocalyptic genre and while I really hate they signed with Microtrash i will always support them.

You are kidding right? Wasteland 2 is probably a top ten of all time in TB strategy games and 3 is probably one of my most anticipated games this year. The HEAD of Inxile Brian fargo(1,000 times more important to gaming than MS circus barkers)is one of the founders of the post apocalyptic genre and while I really hate they signed with Microtrash i will always support them.

I am not kidding and not discounting your love of it, I just didn't like 2 (the writing was pretty all over the place and so was the area design), and I'm wary of 3. Fargo's definitely a power house, though, and no denying he helped make Fallout what it was - but Wasteland just isn't it, it needs a lot more love to reach the same level.

Maybe M$ will help them do that, but with Ziets bailing (I love his writing and design), I don't know what there is to look forward to - also, it looks like they have mostly the same writing team as WL2 (McComb - ugh, he sucks so much, Long - he sucks, read the WL2 novel he did, it sucks - Gavin-what's-his-face - can't keep a job apparently, even on Divinity who seems to take anyone).

Anyway, not interested in WL3 in the slightest, but happy to be proven wrong! (But I'll wait for reviews.)

Also, totally agree on M$ hucksters. Not sure how long that will play out in the years to come but Gamepass should be enough for them for now to feed the machine.

Top Bottom