• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs Legion 4.5 Update Patch Notes(Includes 60 FPS for PS5/Series X/S)

Kuranghi

It doesn't matter what resolution or framerate a game runs at, if its fun to play then it should as fun at 1080p30 as it is at 4K60. Higher IQ and temporal resolution lets you appreciate it more, but if a game feels "bad" to play at 30fps then thats on the devs.

poodaddy

Gold Member
It doesn't matter what resolution or framerate a game runs at, if its fun to play then it should as fun at 1080p30 as it is at 4K60. Higher IQ and temporal resolution lets you appreciate it more, but if a game feels "bad" to play at 30fps then thats on the devs.
Hard disagree. Some games simply are awful to suffer through at 30 fps, but are stellar at 60. Imagine playing fighters at 30, or Metal Gear Rising. I agree that some games are fine at 30, but in general there are games that are good at 60 that would be truly awful at 30. I respect your opinion though.

jonnyp

Its pretty flat. Its not just the removal of ray tracing but the quality gets moved from whatever their 'high settings' are to medium, and its something kinda weird about the resolution I can't quite place it..But it just looks odd as hell, and after walking around on Series X and playing for like 15 minutes its some noticeable stutter when trying to make quick turns in the car, or even when sprinting

Loading/Fast Travel did seem a LITTLE bit better atleast.
It looks bad in general no matter which mode is used.

Cheers, that's too bad. Was contemplating picking it up on sale.

Kuranghi

Hard disagree. Some games simply are awful to suffer through at 30 fps, but are stellar at 60. Imagine playing fighters at 30, or Metal Gear Rising. I agree that some games are fine at 30, but in general there are games that are good at 60 that would be truly awful at 30. I respect your opinion though.

Yeah, I agree (I'm just I'm a bit out of it on drugs for an illness :messenger_dizzy: lol), I should've had a disclaimer with the things you mentioned and more, like FGs, competitive shooters and other stuff where timing is critical and having that extra input lag is a big detriment.

Outwith the reasonable exceptions I was meaning like when a game has insane input lag at 30fps because of how its working under the hood, thats when I understand people saying its objectively bad to play.

MGS Rising at 30fps even with lowest input possible would be pants because its all timing based, you are right.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Yeah, I agree (I'm just I'm a bit out of it on drugs for an illness :messenger_dizzy: lol), I should've had a disclaimer with the things you mentioned and more, like FGs, competitive shooters and other stuff where timing is critical and having that extra input lag is a big detriment.

Outwith the reasonable exceptions I was meaning like when a game has insane input lag at 30fps because of how its working under the hood, thats when I understand people saying its objectively bad to play.

MGS Rising at 30fps even with lowest input possible would be pants because its all timing based, you are right.
Are you ok man? I hope you get to feeling better soon man. Hope it's not Covid broham :/.

thatJohann

After playing a couple of hours on PS5, here's my thoughts:
  • The 60fps mode makes a dramatic difference. I am actually enjoying the game now.
  • I have noticed screen tearing a couple of times on busy fire fights or busy intersections.
  • When closing the map, the game stutters for a split second before going back to 60fps.
  • Overall, I don't miss the ray tracing, game still looks good.
  • This should've been the default mode on launch. It would've made all the difference.

assurdum

Banned
Downloading now, great that I can now play all three Watch Dogs games at 60fps on Series X.*
acm%3Adesktopcta

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It might be time for me to jump back in and finish this game.

Riky

$MSFT
Like 97% of your post, it’s just something to gloat about getting upgrades on the shittiest versions of last gen games.

Enjoy Mirrors Edge Catalyst where you can’t even make the PC version look that bad at 720p/120 in 2021 when I was playing it at 1440p/120 on PC in 2016.

You sound upset.
I don't think Mirrors Edge has anything to do with it. I'd rather play those games at 60fps than 30fps, it's nice to be able to do that.

You sound upset.
I don't think Mirrors Edge has anything to do with it. I'd rather play those games at 60fps than 30fps, it's nice to be able to do that.
It's so sad to see people get upset about a factual statement you made. I didn't see you even mention any other platforms but the one you were talking about. It is pretty cool to see so many 60fps games after a generation where there were few.

dcmk7

Banned
Welcome back Riky ! Try to avoid letting people bait you into responses that get you banned. Your voice is needed here bro.
It's so sad to see people get upset about a factual statement you made. I didn't see you even mention any other platforms but the one you were talking about. It is pretty cool to see so many 60fps games after a generation where there were few.
let me love you GIF

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

So developers are already having to remove Ray tracing due to how hardware intensive it is to hit 60fps on console for cross gen games? So mid gen refresh will happen sooner rather than later or they'll stay well behind the curve tech wise, makes sense.

AnotherOne

So developers are already having to remove Ray tracing due to how hardware intensive it is to hit 60fps on console for cross gen games? So mid gen refresh will happen sooner rather than later or they'll stay well behind the curve tech wise, makes sense.
Way to early to think like that, 3-5 years from know watchdogs will look like garbage on xsx,ps5 and they'll be games that will look way better and have RT.

thatJohann

Played around 4 hours today on PS5. Definitely a very stable 60fps. Just a rare occasion or two of screen tearing which I’m fine with given how stable the 60fps is. Very enjoyable now.

Justin9mm

Does the 60 fps update help the game from being so boring?

I've tried to like this game, played about 4 hours on my PS5 and it's just.. Boring!

I can't get over the facial animation design and weird sounding voices that sometimes don't match the character at all. I dunno, what do people see in this game?

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Finally!
I have been holding out on playing this until this game got this patch!!

I go to buy it....and see that everyone is now selling it at the $59.99 price, when its been as low as $20 for the longest time.

Ill wait until I can get a nice sale.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
On a side note, I do love the shotgun reloading animation, I laughed, quite a bit

Man, this game. It's such a fall from grace.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
So is this game good?
Depends what you expect from a game like this. If you like games with more serious aesthetics and with a semi-interesting story with an established protagonist, then this definitely isn't a game for you.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Watch Dogs: Legion has had a native PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X version for awhile, but Ubisoft finally added what they're calling in their patch notes, a performance mode, but is actually called Balance Mode in game. So check out 10 minutes of performance mode gameplay running on PlayStation 5.

According to the in-game menu description, Balance Mode kicks the settings down to medium quality and disables ray tracing to provide a smooth 60 frames per second experience. We played the first 20 or so minutes of the game and have captured what balance mode looks like on PlayStation 5. We've skipped all the talking and cutscenes to show off the gameplay in various environments.

Top Bottom