• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch who you follow on Twitter Devs...

This whole cancel culture bullshit should be hung from the neck and be left on display for normal people to see.

Don't like something? That's fine, power to you!
You can deal with it 2 ways:

- Ignore it and don't be triggered by it (Common sense)
- Cancel it and everyone who holds a different opinion, possibly destroying someone's life only for you to feel a empty, false sense of accomplishment after which your troll brain searches for the next victim. All the while you lead an empty life as the digital modern day Scrooge. (Idiots and bigots only need apply)

Yeah this cancel culture is just this: "I dont agree with it ergo it shouldn't exist!!!! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

A massive FUCK YOU to every single microbe who "thinks" this way. Fuck off.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Might be one of the best pieces of advice you can give these days. Certain folks on a certain website are current trying to, it seems to be, stoke the flames of another witch hunt or as we might say in the modern age, cancellation. It seems over the past few years a lot of developers or people within the industry have lost their jobs and had their careers ruined, not because of what they've said and done... but simply by who they followed online? Or a post they liked with good intentions but that person who made the post said something that be constructed as offensive ten years ago? Honestly, I studied game design at university and I never managed to get into the industry but the idea that developers can't even have an opinion or be friends with people is mental. Social media is making gaming a ... ugh I hate this word... toxic community. And it's really sad. I certainly don't do hours of research and go through hundreds of posts before liking or responding to something online, but imagine spending years getting your qualification, working into a senior role and you like a post on a website or service and boom. Public outrage, accusations made and without so much as any fact finding or consideration to the wider picture and hooo boy. Pulled into HR and they'd politely explain its for the best that you go. It's limited run games again. It's what has happened time and time again. What do you think about this shit GAF? Really pisses me off. Certainly when innocent folk lose their jobs and get hurt. Remember the bloke who made all the claims against Naughty Dog? Dave Ballard? Went quiet when the evidence went to show he had quite a history of hypocrisy and bullshit.

This has been going on for close to 10 years and really kicked into high gear during the Trump era. You seriously are just discovering this now?

SHA

The people that can post opinions online are those who work for themselves Or have already made their fortune.
Everyone else must conform to the owners.
True, but be aware as the OP mentioned, it could cause your followers and not you, either ways, anyone should be careful on what to say and post.

fart town usa

Gold Member
6ZfXnQu.png

Seemed timely, lol. Says he wants to leave Twitter cause he's too caught up in politics so his next thought is to come here.

Edit- Let's convert him Gaf. Be on your best behavior!

Last edited:
Might be one of the best pieces of advice you can give these days. Certain folks on a certain website are current trying to, it seems to be, stoke the flames of another witch hunt or as we might say in the modern age, cancellation. It seems over the past few years a lot of developers or people within the industry have lost their jobs and had their careers ruined, not because of what they've said and done... but simply by who they followed online? Or a post they liked with good intentions but that person who made the post said something that be constructed as offensive ten years ago? Honestly, I studied game design at university and I never managed to get into the industry but the idea that developers can't even have an opinion or be friends with people is mental. Social media is making gaming a ... ugh I hate this word... toxic community. And it's really sad. I certainly don't do hours of research and go through hundreds of posts before liking or responding to something online, but imagine spending years getting your qualification, working into a senior role and you like a post on a website or service and boom. Public outrage, accusations made and without so much as any fact finding or consideration to the wider picture and hooo boy. Pulled into HR and they'd politely explain its for the best that you go. It's limited run games again. It's what has happened time and time again. What do you think about this shit GAF? Really pisses me off. Certainly when innocent folk lose their jobs and get hurt. Remember the bloke who made all the claims against Naughty Dog? Dave Ballard? Went quiet when the evidence went to show he had quite a history of hypocrisy and bullshit.
Unfortunately a very specific political side uses these tactics very effectively to exert influence over all aspects of western modern life. And they will continue doing this as long as it continues to be effective, witch hunts work because it's an organized mob vs an unprepared individual, it's not at all a fair fight and that's why they typically win.

We are all at fault because we allow individuals to get mowed down as long as it's not us. People dont want to deal with these mobs because nobody wants to be their next target but that means the mob continues to gather strength as it receives positive feedback from it's success.

They closed the thread but on an ominous note of basically If something more substantial comes up let's try again

It's basically encouraging it now. Get a fucken life and/or a real hobby.
The language in that thread reads like a parody. I forget people like that actually exist.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Can’t stand those fuckers who have nothing better to do than try and bring harm to others, over the dumbest of things. I’m sure those freakazoids have skeletons in their closet as well.

In the real world people have friends and family with all kinds of views.

It shouldn't be legal to lose your job over your personal opinion or political belief.

*As long as you don't advocate for violence against a person or group of people.
People are getting fired for being a conservative. That definitely should fall under discrimination and things need to change, I agree.

ZoukGalaxy

Or just don't use social medias and, even worst, share at your job your personal life. Stay anonymous if you want to use social medias (and fear Assbook)
That's doesn't justify at all the inacceptable witch hunt though, but better not create the "problem": social medias are a plague ruled by brainless vocal minorities.

Open Your Mind Fly GIF by Diego Farao

Help yourself and stay anonymous, whenever possible, to protect yourself, your life, your job and your family.

Last edited:

Kdad

Isn't it actually illegal? Actually it's illegal in my origin country to discriminate by gender, race, political beliefs, religion, etc. I assume that's the north everywhere else.

Didn't Elon musk say they were covering legal actions against a company that fires you because of something on the platform?
Elon says many things

My thoughts..

Everyone who wants to speak truth to power needs to know that these people you're describing fulfill the role of "The Spies" from 1984.

This is an ancient archetype going as far back as the oldest human kingdoms and tribes. This isn't a new or novel phenomenon, and how to handle these kinds of people and the kind of society they breed has been tested by time.

They most definitely deserve your pity and compassion. There is a twisted, poisonous malice inside these people which would turn on their own children if given the chance.

Spread awareness for the times they herald are only a symptom of a much deeper rot that can (and once did) worsen us all.

Last edited:

Embearded

It’s funny because in real life most people have friends on both sides. You can disagree with people’s political takes without making them your sworn enemy who doesn’t deserve to be employed.

Chronically online people are embarrassing.
Go on Era, say that your third cousin voted for Trump and watch them trying to convince you to cut ties with the entire family.

This is one of those issues that is a bigger problem in theory than it is in reality. The amount of people who were let go for a follow is not only minuscule but so small it’s hardly a widespread problem. Is everyone who is let go for social media presence done so for the right reasons? No. But a private company had the ability to pick and choose what they want to let go of you for as long as it avoids any discrimination rulings. But most developers aren’t let go for this issue.

Reee tried to paint a big person at PlayStation as a secret right winger because they followed ONE account on Twitter which was posting videos with a slight right wing lean, despite the same person following loads of left leaning people too.
Yea if this is true it’s stupid. Even if you don’t believe in right wing ideas at all you have to engage with them in order to know how to combat talking points.

Last edited:

shaddam

Why is resetera taken seriously? Imagine something like this happened here, the whole internet would be on flames. Still resetera is full of confirmed developers

Hudo

Why is resetera taken seriously? Imagine something like this happened here, the whole internet would be on flames. Still resetera is full of confirmed developers
Because its business model is virtue signaling for internet points. And Twitters and Redditors love that kind of shit.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

I'm politically on the left, but I watch videos from pretty much every side (including all the extremes) - YouTube's algorithm has completely given up on trying to to make recommendations for me... I can almost hear it angrily mumbling 'why you no pick echo chamber?!'

Freeman76

Anyone who takes Resetera or people of that ilk seriously is a lost soul. Shame they have such a loud voice, but that's the world we live in.

Because developers tend to be brokie cucks who cope through harvesting status points.

Top Bottom