• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs: Wii U version officially dated for November

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The way Nintendo didn't even bother putting a spotlight on it, not even a mention, just giving it a page on their E3 site tosses out the idea they might have paid to keep it. At least for me. I am curious as to why Ubisoft didn't just outright cancel it and not bother with a version the way they did with Assassin's Creed.

We'll see if they feature this in the Treehouse stream on Friday. If it isn't there I agree with you that this is fully Ubisoft's initiative. But then it's inexplicable how they are planning on selling this late port without any kind incentive.

The best thing to come out of this would be learning why Ubisoft went ahead with the port. There must be a really interesting story behind it if they decided to release it despite doing it so half-assedly.

The way Nintendo didn't even bother putting a spotlight on it, not even a mention, just giving it a page on their E3 site tosses out the idea they might have paid to keep it. At least for me. I am curious as to why Ubisoft didn't just outright cancel it and not bother with a version the way they did with Assassin's Creed.

When it became apparent things weren't brilliant with Wii U third party mature games a lot of time effort and money had gone into it so at that point it makes sense to at least finish it off and make at least some money back

It does exist. Huh

tumblr_inline_n04l7fQHYh1qivcx4.gif

Seriously Ubisoft, show me SOMETHING!

It doesn't even have to be with development costs.

Nintendo could have struck a deal to waive all royalty fees...or print all retail copies of the disks for free...or handle distribution to retailers...or handle all marketing for the title...or some combination of the above.

Either way, Ubisoft must be thinking that they won't be losing anything financially from the effort.

Watch Dogs will take full advantage of the Wii U specific hardware with a detailed and interactive map of Chicago displayed on the Wii U™ GamePad. The game also features Off-TV Play, letting gamers continue playing Watch Dogs solely on the Wii U GamePad.

Holy shit. That's brilliant. Must have taken a team of 500 to figure out that you can *gasp* show map on the gamepad screen. Wow.

antibolo

Banned
So they took all this time making the game "tailored for Wii U" and all that resulted from it is a fucking map on the gamepad?

I have no words for this.

Opiate

Thank goodness it's November and not December. Now parents can get this for their kids in the bargain bin before Christmas.

Ubisoft literally just said a few weeks ago that this is their last M Rated game on Wii U, why release this game at all now that you've said that?

If Ubisoft wanted perhaps better sales, they could have said those things after they released the game, but now why wouldn't a Wii U owner feel pissed off just seeing this game for sale at their local retailer?

Amazing.

Ubisoft literally just said a few weeks ago that this is their M Rated game on Wii U, why release this game at all now that you've said that?

If Ubisoft wanted perhaps better sales, they could have said those things after they released the game, but now why wouldn't a Wii U owner feel pissed off just seeing this game for sale at their local retailer?

Amazing.
Why should a Wii U owner care what Ubisoft says if their desire is to play a Wii U game, particularly if they want to play an open world GTA esque game?

Opiate

Why should a Wii U owner care what Ubisoft says if their desire is to play a Wii U game, particularly if they want to play an open world GTA esque game?

I think a better framing would be this: people who might be interested in a Wii U may no longer be, because companies like Ubisoft are making it publicly known that their future big AAA games (sans Just Dance, at least) aren't going to be on the Wii U.

This is always Nintendo's problem; expectations. People have come to expect third parties to avoid Nintendo's system for M rated properties -- which, by the way, encompasses virtually every major hit for the big four Western publishers, from Mass Effect to GTA to Assassin's Creed to Call of Duty. By contrast, people expect those games to come to the Xbox, and people buy Xboxes with the expectation that all those games will be out on the system, even if the system flounders notably like the Xbox One has, and even if the games haven't actually been announced yet. The same could be said for Sony; even if the system struggles like the PS3 did, GTA is coming.

Ubisoft's declaration only reinforces those expectations, which in turn makes it even harder to build an audience for those games. Which would be fine, if Ubisoft wasn't releasing one last game of that nature on Wii U. Frankly, I think they decided whatever lost sales might come from the declaration were minimal.

sd28821

I think a better framing would be this: people who might be interested in a Wii U may no longer be, because companies like Ubisoft are making it publicly known that their future big AAA games (sans Just Dance, at least) aren't going to be on the Wii U.

This is always Nintendo's problem; expectations. People have come to expect third parties to avoid Nintendo's system for M rated properties -- which, by the way, encompasses virtually every major hit for the big four Western publishers, from Mass Effect to GTA to Assassin's Creed to Call of Duty. By contrast, people expect those games to come to the Xbox, and people buy Xboxes with the expectation that all those games will be out on the system, even if the system flounders notably like the Xbox One has, and even if the games haven't actually been announced yet. The same could be said for Sony; even if the system struggles like the PS3 did, GTA is coming.

Ubisoft's declaration only reinforces those expectations, which in turn makes it even harder to build an audience for those games. Which would be fine, if Ubisoft wasn't releasing one last game of that nature on Wii U. Frankly, I think they decided whatever lost sales might come from the declaration were minimal.

It also doesn't help that this is some thing that has occurred three generations now .

And is why they need to spend a generation doing the opposite if they ever want there titles to sell better on a Nintendo console since it would at least send a positive message to consumers for once.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The fact that the Gamepad is only being used for a fucking map is the biggest slap in the face, I think.
Not really, it's not like first party releases like MK8, Smash Bros or 3D World had some great use for the gamepad.

OryoN

Watch Dogs will take advantage of the Wii U specific hardware with a detailed and interactive map of Chicago to be displayed on the Wii U™ GamePad. The game also features Off-TV Play, letting gamers continue playing Watch Dogs solely on the Wii U GamePad.

So it won't just be a stealth release of a direct - late - port, of a played-out game, with a no advertising? Two additional lines of code confirmed! Wii U owners, can't you feel the love?!

All that time wasted... but something like Zombi U DLC(don't even mention a sequel) was completely not worth their time?! F@*# off, Ubisoft!

Not really, it's not like first party releases like MK8, Smash Bros or 3D World had some great use for the gamepad.

It's a perfectly relevant factor that the only perceptible reason for a six-month delay, development-wise, was that the Bucharest studio was taking its sweet time with GamePad integration. It wasn't unreasonable to expect a feature-rich port.

At this point I wonder if Ubisoft only completed and prepared to release this version to minimally fulfil some binding contractual agreement with Nintendo, who did after all promote the game as a flagship launch-year third-party port-with-frills back in 2012.

weekev

Banned
I guess this is cool for the five people who wanted it and still want it.
You say that but Im 1 of those 5 people. During the delay my wife has had our second child so alas ill have to wait 2 months till the price bombs. Unless Ubi do something surprising like take real care and attention over the port, in which case Junior can have Tesco value nappies for a few weeks.

RiggyRob

Who's gonna buy this honestly? What would compel them to even release it after such a long time?

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, mainly because there's no GTA on Wii U and I'm still interested in the game despite people proclaiming it as mediocre. Although I am bummed they didn't use the Gamepad for anything but a map.

im going to pass, probably would have grabbed it if it released alongside the other platforms but too much coming up for me to find time to play this anyway

i don't buy into reviews, rather make my own judgements so the mediocre tag has nothing to do with my intentions

If this was like DXHR and had some cool features like all DLC, audio commentary, and strategy guide & hacking on the gamepad (by the way, DXHR on Wii u is great and dirt-cheap now since it was sent out to die), I might consider it. Looks like despite their previous claims, they're just going to move the minimap to the gamepad and that's it.

Doubt the graphics will be improved, this will probably be similar to SCBL and AC4 where the Wii U version is ahead of ps3 and on par with 360.

krumble

Pick it up in a years time on the next eshop ubisoft sale for 9.99 same as I did Assasins creed 4 (which bought on launch for PC)
Yes I might be part of the problem, but I bought this for PS4 already, I'm not double dipping for more than 9.99 - and even then I might be hesitant as I had remote play on ps4 with vita already... So much for the unique wii U controls/gamepad use - a map... Wow

jmizzal

Nice day one for me, I dont care if its late, as long as the game runs fine

Would love for it to have all to DLC and a reduced price tho

I can look at a game a tell if I will like it, and this game looks like a game I will enjoy

Hmm, my interest in the game has gone down since the initial release. At this point, it doesn't really matter if I'm there on day one at full price (if it is full price). Buying it won't change Ubisoft's mind on the kinds of games it's bringing to the Wii U. Might as well save my money for other games and wait till this goes on sale.

jmizzal

Thread seems kinda small considering how many people were swearing right and left that it wouldnt come out.

They are too busy eating crow or posting in here saying why are they even bringing it out

If this was a Watch_Dogs canceled on WiiU thread it would be 10 pages long

I said from the get go it was gonna come out and was told by a lot of people I was wrong

prag16

Banned
Thread seems kinda small considering how many people were swearing right and left that it wouldnt come out.
You expected all those people to show up to eat crow? Besides, they've since moved in to swearing Project CARS will never come out on Wii U... :)

If this was a Watch_Dogs canceled on WiiU thread it would be 10 pages long

Absolutely agree. We'd have a 20 page thread by now full of people praising Ubi's business acumen.

Top Bottom