• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_dogs: Wind, Water, light effects - [PS4 version confirmed]

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Zeitlupe seems to translate as Slow Motion.

Thought it looked really good, but the thing that impressed me the most, was the point about 2 1/2 minutes in. The NPC characters walking in that night to day to night shot. did not feel like "programmed walking paths" but really "random."

Xav, it's been mostly the premise to me. The hacking and crime prediction makes me think of Person of Interest.

Xun

I thought the PS4 was the most powerful gaming device ever though?

Obviously just laziness.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's a shame that people's excitement for Watch Dogs is purely based on graphical quality. Am I the only one still intrigued by the game's premise?
I still think it looks cool but I understand why some people are upset.

Tiberius

Yeah, somehow everyone seems to misunderstand the title. It says the video is exclusive, not the techniques.

it's quite funny because it's looking exactly like the ps4 version but people see pc exclusive and technique and magically it look better
ah the power of autosuggestion ^^

Daingurse

It's a shame that people's excitement for Watch Dogs is purely based on graphical quality. Am I the only one still intrigued by the game's premise?

Possibly, lol? Kidding, but Most of my fascination with Watch_Dogs was entirely based on the visual fidelity of the reveal trailer. That reveal was the most memorable thing for me, of that entire E3. I'm looking forward to the game, but outside of the setting of Chicago, the premise does little for me alone. It's something I'll have to simply play and enjoy, but it doesn't inherently excite me.

My hype was literally because of the graphics though, they impressed me that much. That only made the downgrade all the more painful.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
So these effects are pc exclusive? I can't see why the ps4 can't do these? In fact the e3 2013 ps4 demo looked like it had water tessellation for example.

As someone who owns a pretty high end PC rig and is a total graphics snob... am I the only one that wasn't impressed by that video? None of those scenes looked especially high end or pushing anything graphically.

Personally? No, it's all about the graphics for this one... but that's only because it's a Ubisoft title.

solarus

I don't see what was impressive about that. E3 2012 reveal still looks better.
EDIT: Yup I knew it didn't look that impressive, looked the same as all the recent trailers we've had to me. I stand by the fact that the e3 2012 pc build is a league above.

Stike

Just re-watched the PS4 devkit "Welcome to Chicago" video. I saw that water tesselation was missing there, but everything else seems to have survived - just judging from a superficial look.

AdanVC

Me too! That hacking mechanic seems very interesting and if it's well implementd in such a huge detailed Chicago as it seems in this video (wich looks awesome btw) it can be truly a unique experience/open world game. The city truly feels alive on this video. Lot's of pedestrians, cars, traffic, physics, wind, rain... Hope it mantains like that on the retail version AND on console versions.

SJRB

Gold Member
This thread title is grossly incorrect because it suggest the wind, water and light effects are PC-exclusive, which they most certainly aren't.

C'mon OP.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Welp, this looked just like PS4 version with probably more tessellated water. Which to me still looks great btw.

Just re-watched the PS4 devkit "Welcome to Chicago" video. I saw that water tesselation was missing there, but everything else seems to have survived - just judging from a superficial look.

PS4 version might not have the wind simulation actually. I haven't see the trees or plant move as much in any of the PS4 videos

:/

DieH@rd

Banned
I don't see what was impressive about that. E3 2012 reveal still looks better.

E3 2012 reveal was at heavy rain, during central mission of the game that would centennially be much more focused to showcase game in best light.

Things that were shown here were also impressive, but non was set in that kind of action-shootout setting.

PS4 version might not have the wind simulation actually. I haven't see the trees or plant move as much in any of the PS4 videos

Welcome to Chicago had the shots of junk being pushed by the wind across streets.

Video loads like shit, is there a downloadable version?

The delays, the total lack of PC gameplay footage and the fact that this is Ubisoft has people understandably concerned about what separates their favorite platform from the rest of the pack. People are clearly still excited, if only cautiously so.

cackhyena

I hardly ever see anyone mentioning the grass from videos. I'm kinda shocked how good/full it looks. Like, no open world modern city has made it look that good to my knowledge.

Stike

"Welcome to Chicago" video has trees shaking from the weather and all that. Maybe it was just not displayed prominently? Hoping for more footage...

Setsuna

I am interested in the gameplay as well

But all we have to talk about currently is graphics

"Welcome to Chicago" video has trees shaking from the weather and all that. Maybe it was just not displayed prominently? Hoping for more footage...

The only thing I saw moving in that video was piece of trash and can. In this video the trees and the grass are swaying nicely. I dunno...

Muffdraul

When Watch Dogs was revealed, it was mind blowingly, eyeball meltingly amazing to look at. I'm plenty used to games not quite living up to the graphics of their initial "target" reveals, but usually it's close enough. The scale of the downgrade this time is more than average. The disappointment shouldn't be too difficult to grasp. I'm sure there are plenty of people like me who didn't cancel their pre-orders and intend to enjoy the hell out of the game even though it didn't turn out to be the PS4 graphics showcase we expected it to be.

This thread title is grossly incorrect because it suggest the wind, water and light effects are PC-exclusive, which they most certainly aren't.

C'mon OP.

It's google translates fault not mine.. :) Of course gamers should know this already....

You are also welcome for the video buddy.

Quirah

fqlfMCk.gif

Just so people know, wind simulation is not shit waving/ moving all over the place all in generally the same direction at all times. Every engine and pretty much all the consoles can handle that.
This is wind simulation.
HiEUVtZ.jpg

You start with a gust of wind from an origin and it actually impacts with walls and objects.
The green is where wind is strongest and purple means there is little-to-no activity.

IDK if it is on the console versions.

fasTRapid

Banned
Can I say it....
I told you so! :)
The system requirement where much too high too for the PC version to look like the story trailer.
What? It looks exactly like every other footage we have seen except for its reveal.

I really don't know what others are seeing here as this seriously doesn't impress me. At all. Just because it's declared as PC footage it's now coming from the heavens? lol

Top Bottom