• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watership Down author Richard Adams dies aged 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

The author of Watership Down, Richard Adams, has died aged 96, his daughter has said.

The tear-jerking children's classic about a group of rabbits in search of a new home after the destruction of their warren was first published in 1972.

The tale, first told by Adams on a long car journey with his daughters, turned into a best-seller.

Adams, from Newbury in Berkshire, also wrote Shardik, The Plague Dogs and The Girl in a Swing.

Watership Down was first adapted for screen in 1978.
Grey line

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38446309

RIP, but he had a good innings.

I still have the dog-eared,tatty version witn my name and classroom in biro in the top corner proudly adourning my bookshelf. I recommend it regardless of age or demographic. See you on the other side Richard xxx

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Both Watership Down and Plague Dogs are great works, he had a very keen insight on anthromorphizing animals and his pathbreaking work really led to a lot of subsequent great stuff like Redwall, as well as the popularization of other contemporary stuff like Nimh. The film adaptation of Watership is stellar (I actually bought a copy literally a week ago) and I am really excited to see what Netflix does next year with the work. Sounds like he lived a long and happy life with a good close family and his contributions to literature are excellent. Salud!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Amazing book. The animated movie stayed with me forever. That and Rikki Tikki Tavi are forever etched into the annals of my adored childhood memories. Absolutely loved them both. I have gotten my kids to read the book and see the movie as well.

Three of the greatest literary minds of our time passed away this year - Harper Lee, Elie Wiesel, and now Richard Adams.

If you haven't read Watership Down, Night and To Kill a Mockingbird, I would urge you to make it a goal for next year. I have never read Plague Dogs, myself...I will be reading it next month.

I had no idea he was still alive (somehow hearing 'Adams' invokes Douglas Adams), but Watership Down is obviously an amazing feat in both fictional writing and capturing the imagination. RIP

I saw the animated film when I was a kid. Balled my eyes out which was unfortunate as I saw it at school and a lot of other kids really bullied me over it. I was 11 yrs old.
RIP Mr Adams.

Ventara

RIP. He's an amazing storyteller. Can't believe that Watership Down started just as a bedside story he told his kids. Best I got as a kid was a 2 minute summary of some classic fairytale.

Kieli

Watership Down is a fairly brutal novel, so I'm surprised it's classified as a children's novel.

RIP, Mr. Adams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom